Start by marking “The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner” as Want to Read:
The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner

The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner

Very low-carbohydrate (aka ketogenic) diets such as The Atkins Diet, Protein Power and The South Beach Diet have come and gone repeatedly over the years and there is currently great research and real-world interest in their effects. Unfortunately, altogether too much misinformation exists regarding them.

Folks who are pro-low-carbohydrate diets tend to present them as the
Published December 1st 2000 by Lyle Mcdonald (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Ketogenic Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ketogenic Diet

Start your review of The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner
Misty Rios
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The Ketogenic Diet was an interesting read for the most part. It really does go into great detail and technicalities about body mechanisms and how precisely ketosis works so it may be a little overwhelming for the beginner.
It did help me learn a lot about different body processes although it was basically a more in depth review of everything I already knew. I must admit though that everything in this book is very well researched and there are hundreds of references cited.
I ended up skimming
Samuel Kordik
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The comprehensive book on ketogenic dieting for weight loss or athletic performance. Exhaustively researched, thoroughly footnoted, and detailed on every sphere of training, nutrition, and supplementation.

The only weakness this book has is it is focused heavily on the bodybuilding/weightlifting realm and is very light on other types of athletic endeavors. This makes sense given the author's own background, but the book would be stronger if it included more on endurance and other sports.
Bo Smith
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick and relatively easy read. He dispels the myths about the "keto" diet and goes in detail about the various types of Keto. He correctly puts the "Atkins diet" in it's place. It is also very well documented with supporting scientific research. You can read a google books version here:
Nate Hewitt
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. So much information. I learnt a lot from this. Not only about a ketogenic diet, but also nutrition and understanding.
Steven Lam
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Despite being a bit outdated (published ~20 years ago), I find that the information in this book is still highly relevant today. Lyle talks about the ketogenic diet - the what, the how, the why - including the benefits and challenges. His explanations are largely supported by peer-reviewed articles, along with his anecdotal experiences. I appreciate that he outlines areas where evidence not conclusive, and is careful not to make strong recommendations. If you have questions or concerns about the ...more
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really dense and well documented book! Targeting more bodybuilders but also gives useful tips for the general public.
The main down-side is its age. It would be good to do some extra reading to include more recent studies.
Arnab Sarkar
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit dated but a good overview of body biochemistry with a good degree of scientific depth - proving the point that Ketogenic diets can be healthy and countering myths and wrong notions about the body in ketosis.
Hasim
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has a comprehensive literature detail. Gives valuable info about ketogenic diet.
Alex Devero
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This book was great. It contains everything one could want to know about ketosis and exercising. It is full of knowledge supported by science and sound research. I would recommend this book to anyone interested not just ketosis, but in health and fitness in general. The only issue is that there is not as much research on ketosis. Therefore, some information are based on smaller sample of tests or relative. Still, you should read this book. You will not regret it. This is the best book on ketosis ...more
Soragon
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I skim read this book, at times reading particular chapters that peaked my interest. This seems more of a book for the advanced body builder/body hacker, not for the intermediates or beginners. It's very detailed and forces you to work out (no pun intended) the diet/exercise for you. It also seems to contradict with what other books have said, in particular Taubes'.

I think this is for a very narrow audience. All I got from reading were 2 summarised pages that I might have found through other
Rainer Salahub
Very informative and a great place to start if you have any interest in ketogenic diets. I would have liked to read more details about putting the diet into practice step by step. Since I workout I will be reading another book (BodyOpus) by Dan Duchaine to implement the ketogenic diet for a bodybuilder.
Matt
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
For weirdos like me, this is a great book. A bit daunting in size and scope it offers a full overview of the Standard Ketogenic,the Targeted and Cyclic Ketogenic diets as well as very detailed explanations, sample workouts, etc, etc.

Not available in hardcover that I could find, I got a copy in pdf format for those interested.
Todd
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great in-depth explanation of Ketosis and how it can used effectively in conjunction with exercise and body building.
Alexandru-Vlad
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must-read book for any fitness&nutrition enthusiast / practitioner.
Mikey Sklar
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great research, but maybe you could dumb it down a bit.
Peter Goutis
Travis
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nebet Het, a halottak úrnője
  • How to take good notes: The science behind note taking
  • The Way of the Monk: The four steps to peace, purpose and lasting happiness
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers