Start by marking “Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)” as Want to Read:
Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)

Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson #4)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When a spate of seemingly unconnected acid and arson attacks begin around Sydney, Sergeant Jill Jackson must work to solve the crimes and clear the name of an innocent man.

Miriam Caine, aged 70, is dining with her son when she bursts into flames in the restaurant of a five-star hotel. The restaurant's manager, Troy Berrigan, is first to her aid, but the woman later dies of
Published November 1st 2010 by Random House Australia (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Watch The World Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch The World Burn

Brenda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Restaurant manager and ex-cop Troy Berrigan was startled to hear a terrible scream coming from one of the tables nearby. Spinning around, he was horrified to see flames billowing from one of the diners; snatching up a tablecloth he grabbed the woman and frantically wrapped her up in it, smothering the flames, all the while yelling at his head waiter, James to call the police and an ambulance.

Detective Sergeant Jill Jackson was studying for her Master of Criminal Intelligence degree as a paid vac
Michael
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Miriam Caine is dining with her son David at an up market restaurant while she burst into flames. Manager Troy Berrigan is first at the scene but despite his efforts she would later die. When police discover two types of accelarants on Miriam it seems clear she was murdered with the question being how they got on her and how she was set alight?

Shortly after and detectve sergeant Jill Jackson is devastated after the shock death of her lover and fellow officer Scotty. His death would send her into
Sue
Apr 20, 2012 added it
A light but good read. I was particularly interested in readfing something by Leah as I am about to attend a workshop on working with people who have experienvced trauma which Leah is running in Sydney. Even if I hadn't know n]=before hand that she si a psychiloigist I think I would have guessed from her writing, her ways of weaving in psychological aspects of her characters is something which made the book all the mmore interestng for me
Nada
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel! The outcome was not entirely what I had expected which is good.
Karen
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian
Clinical psychologist and best-selling author Leah Giarratano is known for exploring various criminal and/or psychological behaviours in all of her books, and in WATCH THE WORLD BURN, the fourth in the Sergeant Jill Jackson series, she's exploring family, along with extreme psychopathic behaviour. Whilst earlier books clearly demonstrate Giarratano's own background in her deft handling of the extremes of human behaviour, somehow, WATCH THE WORLD BURN is more assured, more informative, more affec ...more
Elusive
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Watch The World Burn’, the book starts off with a 70-year-old woman who suddenly bursts into flames while at a restaurant. This is then followed by a string of other similar cases.

The case was interesting at first as there are several questions such as how the perpetrator managed to set her on fire without attracting any attention, the motive behind the attack and the method used. However, instead of focusing on the investigations it felt a lot more like a Jill Jackson drama story. As always
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I didn't recognise the name when I chose Watch The World Burn as a read for the Aussie Authors Challenge but as soon as I saw the authors image I realised that Leah Giarrantano was the presenter of Beyond the Darklands. This (Australian TV) crime doco series had Leah, a psychologist, discuss and disect the stories of notorious Australian killers. It was okay, I watched a fair few episodes but I didn't think it was much more than sound bites really and to be honest Leah's voice/tone was a little ...more
Emma
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for a detective story, it might seem excessive, I know but this was the PERFECT page-turner. It kept me reading through the night because I just had to know who did it and why...

Each Jill Jackson book is better than the previous one and, what's more: the main character's psychology actually feels real. The way she evolves, changes, tries and moves forward, stumbles back once in a while, it all feels like it could happen to a real person, not only to some kind of literary supercop.

The
Tyson Adams
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It took me very little time to read this book, yet I started it the best part of three weeks ago. So many interruptions yet this book has kept me rapt.

I met Leah at the Perth Writers Festival where she was holding a class on writing nasty villains. In fairness it didn't matter which character it was in the book, every single one felt real. But this book wasn't just about the characters, it was also crime fiction with a brisk pace and a lot more going on than an arsonist causing trouble and mayhe
Paula Brandon
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Your enjoyment of this book may depend on how willing you are to suspend disbelief that someone like Jill, riddled with psychological problems, could ever get on to the police force in the first place!

She's supposed to be the main character, but spends a large chunk of the book in a psychiatric retreat after having a complete meltdown after the murder of her boyfriend.

Jill's a bit of a hot mess. The only thing in this book she solves is who was stealing candy at the retreat!

The writer should hav
Tien
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I really don't know what to say... I was very upset with the way "things" turned out and it's very rare that a book provoke such a strong emotion in me so I don't particularly know whether that was a success or failure. I'm going to say it's a failure cuz I don't want to read further into the series no matter how I actually liked Jill Jackson. :(

The mystery plot in this book I actually liked but the overall going-ons which span the series, I am cursing! I’m stopping my ‘review’ here because it’s
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
What am I supposed to do now????? There's no more Detective Jill Jackson books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting impatiently for Number 5 Leah Giarratano! And I think I'm a little in love with Gabriel - a man who loves cats has to be a good guy :)
Cambala
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as a quick read, it definitely keeps you engaged. Leah's writing style and incessant use of the word 'shit' irritates me, however overall if you are looking for a good quick mystery read that isn’t too thick or too complicated then this is definitely worth your time.
Robyn
Jan 08, 2013 added it
Haven't read it yet, but comes highly recommended. A new Australian author.
Jhodi Thomas
Oct 14, 2013
Ashleigh
Aug 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Death and the Running Patterer (Curious Murder Mystery #1)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Dreams of Speaking
  • Fan Mail (Sophie Anderson, #3)
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • Already Dead
  • Deserving Death (Detective Ella Marconi, #7)
  • Fatal Impact (Dr. Anya Crichton, #7)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Person of Interest
  • Truth
  • Prime Cut
  • Lilian's Story
  • The Lost Girls
  • Prowlers (Prowlers, #1)
  • Drylands
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Royal Flush
Dr Leah Giarratano has had a long career as a clinical psychologist. Her professional background offers a unique selling point in this genre and gives an authenticity to her writing. Leah is an expert in psychological trauma, sex offences and psychopathology and has had many years assessing psychopaths and treating their victims.

She has worked in psychiatric hospitals, with the defence force, and
More about Leah Giarratano...

Detective Jill Jackson (4 books)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)