Start by marking “Zeno and the Tortoise: How to Think Like a Philosopher” as Want to Read:
Zeno and the Tortoise: How to Think Like a Philosopher

Zeno and the Tortoise: How to Think Like a Philosopher

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
For those who don't know the difference between Lucretius's spear and Hume's fork, Zeno and the Tortoise explains not just who each philosopher was and what he thought, but exactly how he came to think in the way he did. Nicholas Fearn presents philosophy as a collection of tools -- the tricks of a trade that, in the end, might just be all tricks, each to be fruitfully app ...more
Published April 11th 2002 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Zeno and the Tortoise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeno and the Tortoise

Jono Balliett
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a great way to familiarize myself with some great philosophical minds. I love philosophy but I tend to gravitate toward the readers digest version of philosophers. Reading a philosopher's works can be incredibly rewarding but one can spend decades unraveling the thoughts and ideas of just one philosophers work. Instead, I read synopses of their work. This book covers: Thales, Protagoras, Zeno, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Lucretius, Ockham, Machiavelli, Bacon, Descartes, Hume, Reid, Rous ...more
TK Keanini
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
A very unfortunate title. The subtitle should have been: How to apply the patterns of great philosophers. I just can't believe that I would ever think like the great philosophers nor would I want to. I'm perfectly find thinking the way I think.

Now that I have that out of my system, the book is great. In 25 sections, the author takes each key contribution from some incredible philosopher. It could be called a philosophy field guide.
Rosemary Szczygiel
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
It's ok but I probably would not revisit it. Recommended from FSCJ Liberal Arts syllabus. Good for students.
Deepak Saxena
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for those who want to have some handle on some key philosophical ideas and philosophers. Though the book might be criticised for some omissions and commissions, it gives a good glimpse into philosophical thought. (Edit: final rating 3.5 due to exclusion of Bertrand Russel and inclusion of Richard Dawkins)
Nathalie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good refresher on philosophy and philosophers. Without fluff, each short digestible chapter outlines the essence of each philosopher's' argument, some thoughts about how to think of it using modern day examples and gives context for each philosopher's life. Especially appreciated the latter where I learned interesting thing about the person and the times. I had studied philosophy so while there is a lot to learn from the original works, namely the construction and thought process in creating an ...more
Monika Pawelec
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Książka raczej dla kogoś, kto dopiero zaczyna obcować z filozofią, może działać motywująco i inspirująco. Przyznam, że mnie (po pięciu latach studiowania filozofii) trochę nudziła.
Kara Jacobs
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish this. Such a good concept, anecdotes about various great philosophers throughout the ages, what they had to say about the subject of death and (my favorite part, of course), the weird ways in which they actually died but ...I dunno, it started to grow dull in the middle of the middle of the Middle Ages, and it' another book I never finished.
Jw van Eck
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A sequence of philosophers in historic order. Easy to read and understand. Not sure why some names have made it to the book (Lucretius, Machiavelli, Ryle) and why others (Spinoza, Leibnitz, Russel) are missing. But a nice read nonetheless.
Pamela
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Bought this book for my 15-yr-old son to introduce him to philosophy. Covers over 20 philosophers and their main ideas, including short biographies. Good introductory book into the origins and developments of some of the most important philosophical ideas throughout history.
Allen Martin
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Part biography of many philosophers, part introduction to various thinking techniques, part summary of various types of philosophical thought. This book will probably encourage you to dig deeper into ideas that interest you. A buffet full of appetizers.
Tudor
Jun 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept, poorly carried out.
Ian
Jun 15, 2007 rated it liked it
I remember looking at this book, can't remember actually reading it. Possibly this is why I dont think like a philosopher
Laurent Franckx
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good intro to philosophy. Does require some active effort from the reader - as it should.
Vanlilith
  • The Science of Superheroes
  • Conditions of Love: The Philosophy of Intimacy
  • Affluenza: When Too Much is Never Enough
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues: The Uses of Philosophy in Everyday Life
  • The Heart of Things: Applying Philosophy to the 21st Century
  • The Unconscious Civilization
  • Contextual Design: Defining Customer-Centered Systems
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • The Empiricists: Locke: Concerning Human Understanding; Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge & 3 Dialogues; Hume: Concerning Human Understanding & Concerning Natural Religion
  • An Outline of Philosophy
  • En defensa de la intolerancia

Nonfiction Deals

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed