Start by marking “Abigail” as Want to Read:
Abigail

Abigail (The Wives Of King David #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,582 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Abigail's hopes and dreams for the future are wrapped up in her handsome, dark-eyed betrothed, Nabal. But when the long-awaited wedding day arrives, her drunken groom behaves shamefully. Nevertheless, Abigail tries to honor and respect her husband despite his abuse of her.
Meanwhile, Abigail's family has joined David's wandering tribe as he and his people keep traveling to
Published February 1st 2010 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Erin
Mar 11, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having previously read Michal (book 1) and (book 3)Bathsheba, I am going to declare Bathsheba for the best of the three in Jill Eileen Smith's trilogy. Abigail, known for her goodness and beauty, starts out a likeable character, but once she marries David (who actually had more than three wives) she descends into becoming OBSESSED with her lack of fertility and jealous over the time David spends with his other wives. I realize this is all done to make Abigail relatable to 21st century female rea ...more
Christy
Mar 11, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Abigail, as well as book one in the Wives of King David series, Michal, are hands down two of the best Biblical fiction books I've read in a very long time! I have always wanted to know about David and his life from his boyhood all the way to his place as Israel's king. Both of Ms. Smith's books give tons of insight on what it might have been like back then, and more specifically, what it might have been like to be the wife of a king.

I have to admit that I struggled with this book a little bit i
Kaylea
Wow. I truly loved this book. Not only did Smith weave a tale that is gripping, but it truly made me stop at times, to grab for my Bible.

I mean, I've read the story of David, but this made me want to say - wait a minute - what does the Bible say. Is that really in there?

While Smith admits she draws on research and inspiration, the basis of her novel is true and pulled from the Biblical text.

Abigail's story examines the power of choices - both good and bad. It examines how a single choice (in Abi
Nora St Laurent
Apr 12, 2010 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Jill Eileen Smith whisked me into bible times while introducing us to a tender, young Abigail who loves the Lord and anxiously awaits her arranged marriage with Nabal. This author’s illustration of Abigail’s loss of innocence, heartbreak, agony and struggle, is so powerful I could feel her pain, her sorrow. Nabal is a brash, deceitful, selfish man who will do whatever it takes to satisfy his flesh.

Abigail would not let Nabal break her spirit nor turn her back on God. Instead, she sou
Simone
Jul 25, 2012 Simone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abigail was forced to marry a man she did not love. Though her husband was easy on the eye, rich and prosperous he was a swine, crude mean and physically abusive. Being the submissive and devoted wife she was raised to be Abigail hides the shame, hurt and embarrassment she often felt by the wrath of her husband Nabal and prays daily for God to rescue her from his cruel hands.

After the hand of God strikes Nabal dead because of his vicious ways Abigail begins to believe in true love again when sh
Abigail
Mar 28, 2016 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this dramatic version of the Abigail and David story. I was really disgusted by Nabal and that is the point of the drama, but his abuse broke my heart. It was hard to overlook that and keep reading. Of course I relate to the story more as I am named after the main character. I have read one other Abigail book, which was totally different.
This version is good about putting the reader in Abigail's shoes, letting one see, hear and feel her difficult world.
The author weaves many backgroun
Susan
Jan 30, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, there aren't a whole lot of female Bible heroes out there. If you wanted to name your kids Biblical names, you'd be fine on boys, but the girls start becoming scarce real fast, unless you have a penchant for Jezebel or Dorcas.

But Abigail is a hero I can cheer on. She's married to Nabal (whose name appropriately means "fool"), a guy who basically defines the term jerk. But she uses her wit and faith to work things out in the end.

The book is well-written and makes you want to turn to the
Mary Findley
Too much inappropriate modern perspective. Too much self-pity. Too little real wisdom. Not enough understanding of the true situation and culture. Point of view very inconsistent. Talks about how she influenced the other women but that's telling, not showing. And childbirth "Sapping a woman's strength"? Has this author ever had a child? Some people are sick while pregnant but it's relatively uncommon beyond a short duration morning sickness and it's very rarely the child sapping the mother's str ...more
Alicia Willis
Jun 11, 2016 Alicia Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
18+. Best for married adults for marital content.

I enjoyed this book even better than Sarai. I felt it was a very accurate portrayal of what life might have been like for one of David's wives. I was very sad most of them, reading about what it was like to share a husband with six other women. The daily struggles, the heartache, the sadness were all very real.

I loved the historical aspects very much. I do recommend this book for married women. Note: there are mentions of sexuality, although no s
Michelle Griep
May 06, 2010 Michelle Griep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in The Wives of King David series and I liked it better than the first. Not such an enormous time span was covered. I connected with heroine Abigail way better than I did with Michal. And Smith's writing style is much more polished this go around.
Smith did a great job with making me think about and sympathize with what it must have been like to share your husband with other wives. No wonder God's not pro-bigamy. What a horrible way to live!
Mary Wilson
Was not impressed by the way the author portrayed Abigail or David. I guess I've been spoiled by Tosca Lee, who researches her Biblical characters so thoroughly and has such a beautiful writing style. If you want to read some amazing Biblical fiction, read Lee's "Havah" or "Iscariot."
Jerry
Mar 02, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable account of one of the Bible's most interesting women.
Louise
Apr 22, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baker Publishing Group|February 1, 2010|Trade Paperback|ISBN 978-0-8007-3321-6

Story Description:

Her days are marked by turmoil and faded dreams, Abigail has resigned herself to a life with a man she does not love. But when circumstances offer her a second chance at happiness with the handsome David, she takes a leap of faith to join his wandering tribe. Still, her struggles are far from over. How can she share his love with the other women he insists on marrying?

ABIGAIL follows the bestselling M
Kristina
It was interesting to hear the story of Abigail.

Her heartbreaking story of being married to abusive, drunk, mean Nabal to settle a debt between her family with his. The pain at being raped and abused within her marriage would have broken anyone, but she had such faith. Then to come in contact with David and have her heart soar again in hope. Yet, to be one of his many wives can only be heartbreaking. I don't understand how God can see this as a good thing and it obviously over time destroyed Da
Celestine
Jun 02, 2017 Celestine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. It was great seeing what could have been Abigail's perspective.
Linda
Mar 11, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always wonder what it was like to live in past eras. Abigail is one of my favorite Bible stories and very much enjoyed this possible account of her life. Who is to say it didn't happen just this way? I always thought she must have been a favorite wife of David and I wasn't disappointed in this story.
Jan Hall
Mar 11, 2017 Jan Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has outdone herself. I loved the story of Abigail from when as a young girl she is pledged by her father to Nabal through her life as the wife of King David. This gives such a wonderful depth to her story. Her hopes and fears, her love and her strength. I absolutely loved this book.
Ruth
Mar 04, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For her second novel in The Wives of King David series, Jill Eileen Smith explores the life of Abigail, David’s third wife, who came to him while he was still living in the wilderness, running from Saul’s never-ending attempts to end his life. As a widow and a non-royal, Abigail has a strikingly different background and perspective than Michal, David’s first wife, whose story was told in Smith’s first book. While Michal was a privileged princess, Abigail hails from a poor, but loving family, whe ...more
Rachel Danielle Schiavone
Harrowing, heartbreaking, honest look at what life had to be like during these times.
Mandy J. Hoffman
BOOK RECAP:

Bestselling author releases new biblical fiction that tells the story of Abigail: Her marriage to David and their life on the run.

Turmoil marked her life—what price must she pay for love?

From Jill Eileen Smith, bestselling author of Michal, comes the latest biblical fiction in The Wives of King David series: Abigail.
Sandra
Feb 26, 2017 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Jill Smith. With her imagination and true facts taken from scripture, we get a glimpse of what it might be like to be one of King Davids wives. Very well written.
Victor Gentile
Jan 13, 2010 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of interviewing Jill Eileen Smith, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for her new book, "Abigail" Book Two in her Wives of King David series published by Revell. When I finally get to Heaven and after I meet Jesus and my family and friends there are certain individuals from the Bible that I want to track down and spend some time with. Abigail is one of those individuals.

Michal, King Saul's daughter, was the first wife of David given to him because David defeated Goliath
Michelle
This novel should be on the NY Times best-seller list. I'm not kidding! In fact, I don't think I've ever said this before about any book I've reviewed. For people who love Biblical fiction, this story should knock their socks off. I'll tell you why...

I was totally entrenched in the lives of the characters and the setting the entire time I read this book. I would've read it straight through if life hadn't gotten in the way. I loved the realism, the emotion, the romance, the way the characters com
Deborah
Feb 17, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abigail's marriage to Nabal was doomed to failure from the beginning. A handsome man, Nabal arrested her attention from the first and gave her hope for their future together. But when he begins their marriage by behaving shamefully, she still strives to honor her husband despite his drunken revelries almost every night and his blatant disrespect of Adonai.

David and his band of men protect Nabal's herds from being harmed in the wilderness, and when Nabal hears of it, he refuses to recognize Davi
Lisa
Jan 18, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Eileen Smith’s second story in the Wives of King David remains more than faithful to the Word. She reminds us that society has not changed since the fall. Our natural tendency toward sin is no excuse, and everyone around us suffers when we fail as children of God.

Smith paints Abigail, widow of Nabal of Maon, as a woman chosen by David as a wife for love, not contract or obligation. Smith recreates a believable description of life with the “fool,” the meaning of Nabal’s name. When Abigail he
Apr 22, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: ABIGAIL
Author: Jill Eileen Smith
Publisher: Revell
March 2010
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3321-6
Genre: Inspirational/biblical fiction

Abigail is a young girl, promised in marriage to a man that she does not love. As Abigail blossoms to maturity, she lives in fear of the day when her betrothed will come and take her away, and so does her family—to the point that they are considering running away, or even canceling the betrothal, leaving Abigail as a “divorced” woman, and shunned the rest of her life.

But
Tiffany
Jul 31, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I did not think I would end up liking "Abigail" by Jill Eileen Smith this much. The book started off slow and I had a hard time getting into it. I found myself wanting to skip through the parts written in King David's perspective, and go straight to Abigail's. Honestly, sometimes I didn't like King David. Never thought I'd say that in my life. I questioned why we praised this man so much in the Bible when he made so many mistakes and had multiple wives.

This book is hard to read becaus
Stacy
Feb 12, 2017 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series was just as good as the first. Her reliance on God's promise to David was inspiring.
Jul 12, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of David’s wives although I have not read these books in sequence they are just as enjoyable and I am sure I will get a chance to read them all in time.

Abigail married to Nabal has been abuse of him but she stays in the marriage. Her family has joined David wandering in the dessert trying to avoid King Saul who frightened by David’s popularity has been trying to kill David. After the death of her husband she is free to join David’s group and they married. It tells of the life of a pe
Fred Kohn
Well, that was disappointing. I was wondering how the first part of the story would play out: would Abigail be portrayed as a submissive but visionary woman as read traditionally, or the opportunistic conniver that theologian Alice Bach and others (including me) have seen in the Biblica text? Predictably, this thoroughly and conventionally Christian author goes with the former interpretation, eschewing the potentially more interesting one. That wasn't my main objection to this book, however. The ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:10PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:27PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 05:06PM
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Martha
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Ruth
  • Garden of Madness (Seven Wonders, #2)
Jill Eileen Smith is the author of The Prophetess, the bestselling The Crimson Cord and the Wives of King David series, along with the Wives of the Patriarchs, Daughters of the Promised Land, and The Loves of King Solomon series. Her research has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times.

When she isn’t writing, she loves to spen
More about Jill Eileen Smith...

The Wives Of King David (3 books)
  • Michal (The Wives of King David #1)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)