Start by marking “Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens” as Want to Read:

Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens

Teen life is hard enough with all of the pressures kids face, but for teens who are LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender), it’s even harder. When do you decide to come out? To whom? Will your friends accept you? And how on earth do you meet people to date?

Queer is a humorous, engaging, and honest guide that helps LGBT teens come out to friends and family, navigate
Published June 1st 2011 by Zest Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Queer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Raven Gray
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: queer or questioning teens and their allies
Recommended to Sarah by: found it at random in the library
"A little different than bisexuals, pansexuals [sic] people are attracted to not only boys and girls, but people who identify as transgender." - Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens, page 14

I think this definition is wrong because it implies that transgender people aren't truly men/women because they were born blah blah. I think a better definition would be one that explains that pansexual people are attracted to people who identify as male, female, or are genderqueer or genderfluid or compl
Meg
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-students
I found this book---because I feel that I need more resources in my classroom for the queer community. I have now taught Health twice to my students---and neither the textbook nor the curriculum asks for me to touch upon alternative lifestyles---nothing outside boy/girl sex. I also have students who make comments...hints rather, that they are gay....and in desperate search of an ally...and while, I am supportive, I cannot answer all questions, so this book was nabbed so that students could borro ...more
Nina Cooper
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a book that will help queer teens (and others) to find answers to their questions. Whether it is about coming out, dating, meeting your love's parents, and so many more things, you'll find something that might just help you get through a situation.
The texts are easy to understand, the advice is down-to-earth and manageable for teens, and the way it is written, I am sure most readers will identify thoughts and moments they have already experienced.
Apart from the solid advice,
Alan
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Publisher: Zest Books
Pages: 208

“It Gets Better” is a message that has wormed its way into mainstream media as a reaction to bullying and violence toward gay teens. And although this is a necessary message for young people who sexually identify as queer, or think they might be, there is not a lot of information out there telling them how to make it better. Until now.

This Queer 101 manual gives accessible and real-world advice, geared to teens, on a myriad of topics including:
- how to determine i
Elizabeth Chesak
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were... a lot of gaps in terms of information. Wouldn’t recommend.
Clementine
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2011, non-fiction, glbtq
Queer is exactly what it says it is: a comprehensive guide for teens about LGBT life. It provides the facts about what it means to be LGBT as well as providing practical advice on how to come out, how to fight homophobia, and how to generally be an awesome person. Writers Belge and Beischke offer a funny, no-frills approach to providing as much information about LGBT life to teens as possible.

This is a pretty important book. In a time when teenagers are committing suicide because of bullying rel
Willow S
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Alright, I have quite a lot of problems with this book. I'm sure someone out there thought this book was helpful, and I guess it sort of was, but the blurb also described it as "funny and relatable" which I don't find true at all.

One thing that bothered me was the definition of pansexuality, which they said something like: "liking both men, women, and transgender people." So, transgender people aren't classified as men or women now? Transwomen are actual women, and transmen are actual men. Just
Beth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, nonfiction
This book has a reassuring yet breezy tone that seems perfect for its audience. I wasn't surprised to learn that the authors consulted with teens as they wrote the book. As a parent, I appreciated the way the book focused on empowerment and reassurance, e.g., it's ok to not have everything figured out, it's ok to wait until you're comfortable, feelings come in many many varieties so it's ok if you don't exactly fit a stereotype, etc. I think the book would work especially well for young teens: i ...more
Ash Otterloo
This book is *thorough*, with large portions dedicated to issues like navigating queer culture, forming your own unique identity, navigating peer response, coming out, ways to meet other LGBT+ young people, and a couple of chapters dedicated to responsible sex and dating.

As of now, the info is up-to-date (though, obviously, culture moves fast. One hopes that updated editions will continue to be released by the publisher, as the writers have done an excellent job at due diligence to accurately c
Wart Hill
Marking as read though I didn't finish because most of it is shit I had to figure out on my own anyway, lol.

That being said, I liked it. It's a good resource. Glad it exists.

EXCEPT: some may be confused about what it means to date someone who doesn't identify with their biological gender

Change the word 'gender' to 'sex' because 'biological gender' doesn't even make sense, wtf?
Alice
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays, queer
Should be called Queer: The Ultimate LG Guide for teens. Useful but could use an update that includes the voices of bi and trans people.
Musharrat Zahin
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Book by Kathy Belge and Marke Bieschke

I think reading a non-fiction book based on LGBTQ is the most confusing thing to describe. The book is divided into so many sections like homophobia, what it means to be queer, dating, and sex, this guidebook offers upfront advice and information for teens who think they may be (or know they are) lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. There're some personal experiences too. Don't know how to write on this topic, becau
Sari
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Oh how I wish there were books like this when I was growing up. Being a teenager is hard enough with the angst, hormones, and growth spurts. Add in confusing feelings of sexuality and you have a recipe for true hardship. As a bisexual identifying female who often questioned my own sexuality many times through my teenage and adult years, I found this book to be refreshing. I spent so many years
Clorinspats Clorinspats
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
I’ll be honest, here. My first impressions of this book are bad. It has othering language regarding trans folks, focuses more on the binary, and it tries to be inclusive but has managed to sorely miss on the asexual community and beyond (there is one mention in the book of asexuality and it is in a blurb that mentions that some people aren’t DTF and that’s it).
However. It feel like this is a valuable primer with gobs of information to offer! There are sections not just on what being queer is, bu
Anna
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is an excellent beginning resource for LGBTQ+ teens to sort out their identity and some of the nuances of being queer. That being said, it's important to keep in mind that this book was written in 2011 and from a gay/lesbian perspective. It's really useful on that front, but there are a couple things it misses out on: 1) there's very little about trans people and the unique challenges they face and there is nothing in this book about non-binary folks, 2) there is a very short paragraph ...more
Claudio Rodrigo
3/5 stars

Teen life is hard enough, but for teens who are LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer), it can be even harder. When do you decide to come out? Will your friends accept you? And how do you meet people to date? Queer is a humorous, engaging, and honest guide that helps LGBTQ teens come out to friends and family, navigate their social life, figure out if a crush is also queer, and challenge bigotry and homophobia. Personal stories from the authors and sidebars on queer history
Tiffany
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that every LGBTQ student should have access too. Although it is more of a brief overview of topic pertaining to the teenaged LGBTQ person, it covers topics that are rarely discussed in the open: sex, coming out, SAFE sex, oh, did I mention sex? I feel like this is important because there are so many "HERE ARE YOUR RESOURCES" ads but never any that really give answers needed. I felt that this book did a great job tackling the overview of each of these subjects. While they could not ...more
Bri
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not certain what was updated between version 1 and 2, but I found the book good overall except for the awkward, out of date definitions of bisexuality and pansexuality as already mentioned. And the use of “he” and “she” pronouns throughout rather than including more “they”. It is very chatty/cutesy in a way that would make it very readable to some and potentially annoying to others. I appreciated the consideration for different relationship styles and defining your expectations clearly rather th ...more
Randi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Queer, 2nd Edition” is an amazing reference book and guide for those exploring their identity, sexuality, or simply looking to understand others better. As a Queer teen who went to the library to secretly read books about people like myself, I can only wish that I had found this book sooner! The authors cover a broad section of topics, but do so in an easy to read way, so the book can be read rather quickly. Topics found in this book range from coming out to dating to sex, and the many points i ...more
C. Michael
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Very affirmative but not that impressive. In an admirable attempt to cover a community that is ever-expanding and evolving, it tries to hit on a broad spectrum of issues and ideas, but hardly grazes the surface of what at least my queer teen self would have wanted to know. Additionally, the book itself is written using alternating examples of "he" and "she," so paired with incomplete definitions, it just feels a bit outdated.

But all that said, I'm not a teen anymore and we need more books for qu
Shana Weerakoon
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s a good starter guide to the community, however some information is correct, particularly regarding trans people. For example, pansexual is not the same as bi, just with trans people too. Trans boys are boy, and trans girls are girls, not a separate gender. Bi people can feel attracted to trans people. The book also mentions non binary identities, but later on references “both genders”.

Anyone who wants to read this book for educational purposes should double check information, and use source
Jayden Henry
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an e-ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Queer, by Kathy Belge and Marke Bieschke, is a comprehensive guide for LGBT teens.

This book is something that i feel every queer teen should have in their lives. With its sound advice and witty commentary, this guide does wonders explaining the mystery of coming out, dating and even s*x. I enjoyed reading this book and i think many teenagers will in the future.
Gauri Parab
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a great book for teenagers, even middle schoolers who have questions or even a healthy curiosity about queerness and have no one to ask or are too shy to ask someone. It’s clear, concise, and covers a spectrum of topics from self esteem, to coming out, to love and intimacy. It’s peppered with personal stories, which makes it very relatable to kids. I would even recommend it to parents of tweens! It’s a great book to have in the school library!
Teddy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, lgbtq
I wanted to love this, but this book is terribly inaccurate and outdated.

While a lot of its information is relatively good, there are some things that wildly inaccurate regarding identities, particularly trans identities and how they relate to sexual identities. (For example, the book says that pansexuals are like bisexuals except they are also attracted to trans people. That's literally just completely wrong.)

It's also very cissexist & binaristic, talking about "both" genders and "both" sexes
vi
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
this book is important. and although some definitions (aiming at the one for pansexuality in particular) weren't exactly accurate, reading this age 13 when i was confused about my sexuality and eventually came out to my family thanks to this book. so i'd say it'll help someone who just realised that they might no be straight at finiding a label and the reassurance that they are not alone in this.
Senator
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse, non-fiction, teen
Let me preface this review by saying I am a cis gender female. That being said, THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING. Written before the 2015, there are some things that could be changed, but overall, the main information? That is fantastic. With personal stories and great examples for each topic, "Queer" is a must read for any teen with questions!
Jessica
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I'm sure this contains plenty of useful information, it did ultimately let me down in terms of resources and information for bi individuals. I simply couldn't get past the transphobic definition this book uses to define bisexuality. We need more books that accurately define bisexuality.
Eric A. Drosnock
An excellent resource for queer folk, their parents, or those supporting them. So much of life we learn from our family, culture, or media but the LGBT* experience differs and this book helps to highlight and inform those differences. The more you know, right? Read up!
Rowan Delohi
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the kind of book I wish I had when I was in junior high so that I could understand some general things about the LGBTQIA+ community that was never taught in school.
Alek R
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Practical advice regardless of age or orientation.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Baluarte
  • Soy vertical, pero prefiriría ser horizontal
  • 999: The Extraordinary Young Women of the First Official Jewish Transport to Auschwitz
  • Matar a Platón
  • Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay Rights
  • Terra Alta
  • Gender Queer
  • And Tango Makes Three
  • Marking Time (Cazalet Chronicles, #2)
  • Cub