Start by marking “You Don't Have to Say You Love Me” as Want to Read:
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  15,973 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews
Sweet, bookish Neve Slater always plays by the rules and the number one rule is that good-natured fat girls like her don't get guys like gorgeous, handsome William, heir to Neve's heart since university. But William's been in LA for three years, and Neve's been slimming down and re-inventing herself so that when he returns, he'll fall head over heels in love with the new, ...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, please sign up.
Falak
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  15,973 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews

Start your review of You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
• Lisa •
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE ❤
FIVE ALL TIME FAVOURITE STARS.

“She was so fed up with unrequited love and platonic love and all the other kinds of love that weren’t passionate, romantic, can’t-live-without-you, I-have-to-have-you-right-now, the-beat-of-your-heart-matches-the-beat-of-mine-love."

description

description

This is hands down one of my most favourite and treasured books. I LOVE this story with all my book heart. it's a book that I have read over and over again and will never tire of. It's my dreamy go-to book and I want everyone to love
Christy
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: • Lisa •
5 Pancake stars!!!
 photo 641952de-8af9-48a4-9f2b-b0ba91eebad3_zps0f7fceaf.jpg

It’s been a long time since I’ve read a sweet romantic book that I just fell in love with! Every minute I listened, I smiled. There was nothing I didn’t love. The perfect light chick lit book. I read so many heavy books, lots of tears and intensity, and I love those types, but every once in a while a book like this is invaluable.

Neve is the total package. Oxford graduate, smart, gorgeous, funny and sweet. But she’s still single. She has been her entire life. After losing
Mo
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, love, LOVED IT. First time reading this author but it sure will not be the last. A character I can relate to. Neve is Fat, or so she thinks she is but she has been losing weight. She works in Archives, down in a dark, dank room. Max is sexy, popular, good-looking. He works for a Fashion magazine. Neve needs some experience in the love department as her “one true” love is returning from the States and she wants to be perfect for him.

So Max and Neevy start a relationship.

A Pancake
♥Sharon♥
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply adored this book. You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me took me by surprise and it turned out to be a real GEM of a book! It was witty and so much fun to read. It is that type of book that will leave you with lots of warm fuzzy feelings.

photo firstcollage_zps8ecdbd55.jpg

Neve has so much going for her. She is smart, funny, and beautiful. She is a happier person now but she wasn’t always happy. She is making changes in her life and becoming the person she has always wanted to be.

photo Neve_zpsc30c0e86.jpg

Max puzzled me a bit. He is a player. A
Jen
”Don’t you get it, Neevy? What you look like is just one part of who you are – but it’s not all you are.”

I fell in love with Neve and Max while reading this book. What started as a mortifying sexual experience quickly morphed into a cautious friendship/practice relationship then real and physical love. Through all of the changes these two experienced, there was never a time I didn’t enjoy this story. It’s always witty and funny, sometimes sad and I was rooting for them both the entire time.

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF 11%

This just isn't working for me.
Characters are one dimensional and the writing style is cringeworthy.
Anna
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: • Lisa •
I loved this book. You want to know why ? Well first because my bestie across the pond Lisa Jayne recommended this book to me ! Two, I love all things Brit ( especially lisa ) so from the get go I was ready for and I quote Lisa here " love love love made easy peasy lemon breezy ". Finally a character I can relate to. Sure I trip at work all the time but there's no billionaire there to rescue this Anna. Hell no. My heads in the clouds but I do get a healthy dose of reality quite often. So Neve in ...more
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I really enjoyed this story! It's a lot more "chick lit" in style than a lot of things I usually read, but I really had a good time with it. I LOVED the dialogue and all of the literary references. It made me flex my English degree and literary minor muscles.

Also, I felt really connected to Neve. I too was a chubby kid that got teased for it, except my nickname was "Hippo" not "Heave." Now I never became obese and I thinned out by late middle school thanks to sports, but I definitely understand
Beverly
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio of this book and was so sad to see it end!

Over the hours I listened I became endeared to these characters. I loved Neve and Max. Their love story wasn't always pretty, but it was real, and to me that makes it beautiful.

Thank you for recommending Lisa Jayne and Chris for gifting this fantastic audio! Love you girls!! <3
Carisa
I’m so happy I took a risk on this new author, what a wonderful read, what an excellent writing. Everything was surprising from start to the very end, even though it was a very long book. Very realistic, original dialog while the story took me through many emotions including laughing out loud at the dry British humor sprinkled through the book. I loved it despite the things that usually bother me, such as no hero’s point of view and the heroine with weight issues theme (whining, uncertain ...more
Chryssa
Once upon a time, in a city far far away...

there was a smart bookish girl called Neve that suffered from chronial severe cravings (yeah, tell me about it!!!), resulting in wobbly bits and curves aplenty!

(Ok, I know this is Bridget but she is my all time favourite juicy heroine and I picture her as Neve!)

Yes, the anorexic majority of hateful females, especially her evil sister-in-law, Charlotte, would call her fat! And because of this, she didn't dare hope of having a man in her life.

But all
Wendy'sThoughts
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Romantic, Very British, Wonderful Stars

Thank you Lisa Jayne for the push to this delicious story of self discovery for both main characters.

It reminded me of why I love to read so much when things are done in such an entertaining way.

This is a tale of a very bright girl who has been very unhappy evolving from being obese to a more standard weight. The hook is she is in love with a fella; thinks she needs to be a size 10 in order for everything to be perfect when they finally get together. He
Dilek VT
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too long (510 pages) and very boring :( It sure has a cliché plot but I thought it could be fun. It wasn't. After %25, all I wanted to do was to skim and scan and see the very predictable end...

It may be me, not the book. Perhaps, you should still try...
Fani *loves angst*
The second book in the space of 5 days to keep me up until 3am! Well, this week seems to be covering up for all the mediocre books I've been reading lately:)

In short, the premise was completely incredible (two incompatible people -an overweight, insecure, bookish heroine and a confident, sexy, handsome editor who's in speaking terms with everyone who's anyone- starting a 'fake' relationship as a test-drive to learn how to handle a real relationship in the future), the heroine hysterical -and I
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
This was a lot of fun, though with a dash of seriousness underneath. Neve is a recovering, uh, person-of-size and that has a lot of importance to the story and is central to her character. Fortunately, it doesn't define her character; Manning does a good job making Neve a realistic "whole" person who has a weighty (couldn't help myself) issue she is dealing with. Further, Manning tackles it without judgment but still takes on the real and important health and image problems associated with ...more
Didi
~~~~ 5 GLORIOUS STARS!! OR 10/10!!!!!! ~~~~

I don't even know what to say....this was such an incredible read on so many levels.

Aside from the fact that Neve had so many issues any woman could relate to, aside from the fact that there are lessons to be learned in accepting yourself, aside from the fact that everyone is worthy of love.....AND aside from the fact that Max is **clutching my heart because there are no words**The most incredible, edible and fantastic man!!!

Aside from all that....this
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me is the type of novel whose story you can predict from the synopsis itself. You know, even before you crack open the spine, that it's going to be a typical romantic comedy, a chick-flick, just like the thousands you've already seen, but you're willing to give it a try anyway. Or, at least, I was. Granted, I picked it up primarily because I wanted a taste of Sarra Manning's writing for adults after enjoying her YA Novel, Adorkable, so much last
Katherine Kouklinou
5+ stars (and much more)

I wouldn't be able to express my feeling about this book even if i was talking about it for hours! I LOVED THIS BOOK! After finishing it i realize even more how in love i am with it. If i could date a book, this particular one would be my current companion!

Neve and Max.... Max and Neve... How could it possibly true that two people so different would make a perfect couple? Is it possible?
Without hesitation i say "it is!".
Max is sexy, handsome and full with experiences.
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I have had this book on my tbr since reading "Unsticky" by the same author. I finally got round to it and I have to say I really liked it. It was NOTHING like Unsticky (which is one of my fave's this year so far) so in a way I was really disappointed in that!! However, seeing as I am not a real fan of chick lit, I've got to say this is the best book I've ever read in that genre. It was REAL, it was FUNNY, and I could RELATE!!!!

The story was so well written. I completely got the issues
Nafiza
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
I keep saying that I don’t read chicklit and I don’t but when it comes to Manning, somehow I do. It’s just that her writing style is so engaging. I may have said this before, I probably have in another review of her book and if I have, forgive me, but her writing style is akin to sitting down with a bunch of girlfriends and exchanging the most delicious gossip. There’s something natural, something charming about the tone in which the story is narrated that even the most fantastic circumstances ...more
A_Ryan
5++++ Neve and Max Stars Every Time!!!!

What's it about? A girl with an eating/body image disorder decides to have a temporary relationship with the local heart-breaker to help her prepare for the real thing...

The best bit: oh I LOVE this book sooo much. Every couple of years I come back to it and after having read this FOUR TIMES, I still absolutely devour every delectable word.

I love Neve.
I love her job as a literary archivist.
I love her apartment.
I love her self-discipline.
And I love
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
4 stars

Neve is trying out a temporary "pancake" relationship with Max in preparation for her true love she been crushing on to come back overseas.

Although there was a few 5 star moments, there was a few times I felt the story drag. I liked Neve, she felt realistic and I understand everyone has their own insecrities about their bodies. But with Neve I felt she was continually bringing herself down for being overweight and it did start to bug me.

Overall I love this couple and the moments they
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
4 Stars

Neve has spent the last three years going fighting for her life in losing weight to be a sized 10. She's in love with William, whom she met at Oxford, but who has been in California teaching for the past three years. Part of Neve's goal is to look like the woman she believes he will want to spend his life with, not only in mind but in body. The problem is, at 25 years old, Neve has absolutely no experience with relations. She's devised a plan to have what she calls a pancake relations to
Karen
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!!!! I can't believe this was a first novel. 5 STARS WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!!!! I loved every single second!!!!!! Complete and utter addiction!!!!!! Highly recommend!!!!
Dee Montoya
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Sweet and Complicated Stars***
Caro
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I read this book a little while ago and Neve's story is still present in my head. Her fight against her weight, but especially against herself, hasn't left me since.

When I think about Chick Lit as a genre, I usually picture a couple of blonde fashionistas going shopping and searching for love in a big city (like probably most of the people who don't actually read Chick Lit). So I tend to dismiss those books very easily - you know, with all those pirates, dragons and werewolves books I haven't
Jasprit
Manning’s You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me is chick lit at its best. It was a book which reminded me why chick lit books were the only ones I used to devour; with its funny witty characters, predictable plot ending which I didn’t care about as I was having too much fun. It was a book which left a smile on my face and with warm fuzzies as it was such a feel good read.

Neve has known William her student advisor has always been the one, he gets her enthusiasm about literary authors and has always
Jewell
You know what? Life is too short for shitty books with shitty characters and shitty plots. I started this book with not so high expectations and still was let down. So I'm not going to finish it.

For once, I'd like to read a book about a confident woman. A woman who not only loves her body, but loves her personality and her job. I'm so sick of these self-loathing chicks who are always insecure about belly fat and are frequently surprised when attractive men show them even the slightest bit if
Allison (The Allure of Books)
You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning took me by surprise. I didn’t just love it, I LOVED it. It isn’t just gonna make my 2011 favorites shelf – it’ll make the favorites shelf, period.

There are so many wonderful things about the book that I’m not even sure where to start. Basically, the book takes a piece of Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (another favorite of mine), another of Bridget Jones (especially since the book is set in London)…and then a little something all its own and made a
~♡AB♡~
Wow! Sometimes you really have to take a step back from all the new releases and catch up on some hidden gems on your kindle and this book from 2011 was just what I needed. Plus, for some reason I often overlook the books set in my own country which is stupid and a habit I need to quit.

Neve is a character that you will either love or hate, personally I loved seeing her grow and overcome her fear of being a 'fat girl'.

And then we have Max, sigh, he was a bit of an enigma at first but slowly I
Movie Posters Ideas 1 11 Mar 07, 2017 08:27PM
Would you like to see a movie adaptation?! 2 20 Mar 07, 2017 11:13AM
No insta-love romance book recommendation 15 651 Aug 30, 2016 12:52PM
cant find the ebook 5 182 Jun 11, 2013 10:52AM

• A Girl Like You
  • The Do-Over
  • On the Plus Side (Chubby Girl Chronicles, #1)
  • Some Girls Do
  • The Dating Detox
  • Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend
  • Measuring Up
  • Girl on the Run
  • Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2)
  • He Loves Lucy
  • Here's Looking at You
  • Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
  • Bet Me
  • Outmatched
  • Shortcake
  • Act Like It (London Celebrities, #1)
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • Wrecking Ball (Hard to Love, #1)
Sarra Manning is a teen queen extraordinaire. She spent five years working on the now sadly defunct J17, first as a writer and then as Entertainment Editor. She then joined the launch team of teen fashion bible Ellegirl, which she later went on to edit and has consulted on a wide range of youth titles including Bliss, The Face and More.

Sarra is now editor of What To Wear magazine. She's also been
“That was the worst thing about having a relationship with someone, even a pretend relationship. You opened up, let someone in, and when it was over, they had all the ammunition they needed to completely destroy you.” 248 likes
“What you look like is just one part of who you are - but it's not all you are.” 164 likes