Start by marking “Secretariat's Meadow: The Land, the Family, the Legend” as Want to Read:
Secretariat's Meadow: The Land, the Family, the Legend

Secretariat's Meadow: The Land, the Family, the Legend

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Presents the story of how the Chenerey family came to breed and race Secretariat along with the history of the family and the land in which they bred racehorses.
Published December 1st 2011 by Dementi Milestone Publishing (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secretariat's Meadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secretariat's Meadow

Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book. I don't even care how many times I read about this it still makes me teary.

It's really hard to talk about books you love! There were a lot of full-color photos and the author (and Secretariat's human sister :P) writes well and passionately. It was a really classy bio given that I'm sure there were lots of dramatics going on behind closed doors. I'm glad she didn't go there.

Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the horse, you will love the back story. A very interesting read about the history of the family, farm and Big Red. There is more to the story then the flash of derby day, this book tells of the struggles to keep the farm, the breeding operation focused and the people who made it all happen.
Lauren Ward
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Secretariat's Meadow

“Secretariat’s Meadow-The Land, The Family, The Legend” is a non-fiction story by Kate Chenery Tweedy that is full of history, family pride, and of course horses. Kate dedicates her book to her mother, Penny Chenery, and grandfather, Christopher Chenery, when she describes the beautiful piece of land, The Meadow, where an empire was built and a legend named Secretariat was born. It is apparent from the book that Kate, the youngest of three, idolized her father. The photos a
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, favorites
Kate Chenery Tweedy is a member of my church and I met her back in April 2009. It wasn't until March/April 2010 that I discovered her mother was the owner of the famed horse, Secretariat. Kate gave a wonderful speech and photo presentation to a large audience at the Bemis Public Library in Littleton, Colorado several months ago as a preview to the release of this book. At that presentation, many of us were amazed at the strength and conviction the Penny Chenery had when it came to saving her fam ...more
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After I watched the movie "Secretariat," I wanted to learn more about the true story of the horse and the Chenery family. I started with the book "Secretariat" by William Nack. This was an extremely detailed account of bloodlines and training. If you want to know all the ins and outs of Secretariat, that is the book for you. If you are interested in The Meadow - the land, the Chenery family, the horses, and those who worked there - check out "Secretariat's Meadow." Written by Kate Chenery Tweedy ...more
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
What I liked best about Secretariat's Meadow is that it was not yet another rehashing of the wonder horse's career. Certainly, the 1973 Triple Crown winner had a major part to play in this story, but it was really the story of the Chenery family and the Virginia land that was The Meadow. I loved watching Penny Chenery's (owner of Secretariat) daughter recount the long history of the land, back to the 1700's, and how it came to the Chenery family. She traced the different branches of the family b ...more
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses-nonfic
This book doesn't bring much new information to the table, but the tidbits that are new are very interesting. There are pictures I've never seen before, which was cool.

It's not really about Secretariat, but as he was the most famous horse to race for the Meadow, it's an appropriate draw for this book's most likely audience. I think even non-horse people could enjoy this, though, if they have any interest in family histories.
Susan Clark-cook
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this book after seeing the movie, and was amazed by this stunning horse, his huge heart, and the determinded woman who loved him. He was such a beautiful horse, looking at the pictures is always an exercise in awe...what an animal! His records still have never been matched and I remain interested in reading more about him. Great book, great pictures, and interesting history and story.
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is more of a coffee table book. I received it from my parents for Christmas. The history and photos are great, and I really enjoy that it was written by Kate who grew up during the time her mother, Penny, managed the Meadow Stud, and reveled in Secretariat's life. I look forward to enjoying this for years to come.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This a lovely book if you want to know about the Chenery family and farm instead of only of Secretariat. Written by Penny Chenery's daughter, it is full of great photos and information. Penny's autograph made it that much more special to me.
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. =)
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, horse-racing
This book turned out to be more about the history of the farm and people that bred and raised Secretariat but that's okay. It was a good read.

Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the selection for the Epworth Book Club for July.
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
If you like biographies then you will enjoy this book. I only got half-way through it. I'm not a fan of biographies, but hey, I loved the movie.
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you love horses and history about horse-racing, you will adore this book. Beautiful photos too!
Patrick SG
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Adds a face and background to the people behind one of the greatest athletes of all time.
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love horse racing! I really enjoyed this book about the story of a great horse athlete! I thought the movie told the whole story but more is revealed in the book!
Apr 27, 2014
Jack Collins
Dec 06, 2016
Stephanie Hammerer
Apr 07, 2014
rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Secretariat
  • Clementine Churchill: The Biography of a Marriage
  • Man in the Shadows: Inside the Middle East Crisis with a Man Who Led the Mossad
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • Osama Bin Laden
  • Captive: 2,147 Days of Terror in the Colombian Jungle
  • A Case for Solomon: Bobby Dunbar and the Kidnapping That Haunted a Nation
  • Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)
  • Witness
  • House of Rain: Tracking a Vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest
  • Pretty is What Changes: Tough Choices, the Breast Cancer Gene, and Learning How to Live in the DNA Age
Leeanne Meadows Ladin has been writing and riding all her life. She first learned how to ride at the age of seven on her grandparents' farm in southwest Virginia, racing pinto ponies on red clay fields by the Blackwater River with her cousins. When she wasn't riding horses, she was reading about them: Misty of Chincoteague, the Black Stallion, Black Beauty, Blaze, Smoky and many more. Or she was w ...more
More about Kate Chenery Tweedy...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be