Start by marking “The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66” as Want to Read:
The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66

The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66 (The New International Commentary on the Old Testament)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This long-anticipated work completes John Oswalt's two-volume commentary on the book of Isaiah. After opening with a valuable discussion on the state of Isaiah studies today, Oswalt provides an insightful verse-by-verse explanation of Isaiah 40-66, giving special attention to the message of the prophet not only for his own time but also for modern readers.
Published March 4th 1998 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66

Matt Pitts
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Contains technical material but moves easily and often into devotional reflections. This was my 'go to' commentary for preparing to teach. By no means did I read every word, but what I did manage to read was worth the effort.
Gwydion
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was doubtful at first because Oswalt starts by arguing for the unity of the book based, it seems to me, simply on the fact that "the Bible" calls all 66 chapters the book of Isaiah. It is clear to any informed reading that the book does in fact deal with three very different situations and understandings.
However, once past that, I found this to be a valuable insight and exposition of the book. Unlike, say, Whybray whom I have read with appreciation, Oswalt is quite prepared to see the Servant
Tim
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oswalt's commentary carried me through teaching a Sunday school class on Isaiah (fools do rush in). Evangelical in its emphasis on the book's unity and its connections to the New Testament, I appreciated its disinterest in prophecy and its non-Calvinist interpretation. For Oswalt a central theme of the book is the necessity of God's people trusting in the God they claim to serve. He does not overwhelm with scholarly apparatus or linguistic detail and does a good job bringing out history and con ...more
Tom Brainerd
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
In preaching through Isaiah Oswalt has been one of the primary commentaries I have leaned upon. He is clear, does a good job of unfolding what he is trying to get at. Both volumes have been very useful.

The one thing he is fuzzy on (or maybe I just disagree with him) is the current and eschatological role of historical/ethnic Israel. An example would be his using the existence of the current secular state of Israel as evidence of Yahweh's promises. He has feet on both sides of the continuity/disc
Vanjr
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christan, commentary
Excellent, conservative commentary on the text of Isaiah. He argues for a unity of the text. includes a translation of the book that is his own. His translation and the associated notes where particularly outstanding and worth "the price of admission" alone!
Stacey Douglas
Richard Heyduck
Jan 06, 2013
Josh Cashion
Aug 07, 2013

The New International Commentary on the Old Testament (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1–17
  • The Book of Genesis, Chapters 18–50
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • The Book of Numbers
  • The Book of Deuteronomy
  • The Book of Joshua (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • The Book of Judges