Start by marking “Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)” as Want to Read:
Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)

Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  3,074 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Core Rulebook I

Tools and options to create characters for Dungeons and Dragons Role Playing Game. Updates bard, druid, monk, paladin, and ranger, spell lists and levels, skills, more feats.
Published July 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Player's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Player's Handbook

David Sarkies
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who play this version
Recommended to David by: I wanted to play it
Shelves: game
A much better edition
27 March 2013

Isn't it funny that when you go to comment on a book you suddenly discover at least two other books that you have also read (or at least I do) which means that since I write a commentary on every book that I have read, it means that there are more books that I have to review. Anyway, I am currently sitting in my hotel room in Frankfurt waiting for my train to Amsterdam to leave, and since it is incredibly cold outside (and that I have already wondered around th
Ian James
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg-books
this overall was a great revitlization to classic RPG. I really wish WOTC would have stuck with this system and the OGL but such is life hasbro wants to make money.
Matt
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Single unit wargamming is not role playing.
Leon
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Rated a three because it gave a much needed boost to our group but given a choice I'd have stuck with 2nd or preferably moved on to a different game altogether.
Luke
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A monumental rewrite of Dungeons & Dragons. One of the best, as you well know, if you're looking up an edition that's not the current one. For my money, it's still my favourite edition of D&D, in spite of the beautiful simplicity of 5th Edition. Honestly, the "completeness" of 3.5, with its huge array of expansions and adventures, makes it a magnificent collection, and the Player's Handbook (PHB) is where it all starts.

At the time it came out, there was valid criticism that a "3 and a ha
Phoenix Scientist
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good, solid system, and I can see why it's one of the pillars of the RPG world... but I can also see how dated the system is as a whole. It seems a bit limited in its world and in its system as being almost completely combat focused.
Nikola Rimski
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
:D
Dan
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
To be fair: I haven't read the 3.0 rules, but I will note that it seems to me that the overwhelming consensus is that the 3.5 version is superior. I missed, by thirteen years, this massive revision to a game I began playing when I was 10 years old. The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons revised 2nd edition was the last version I ran before going on an extended hiatus. Recently, nostalgia and curiosity hit me like colliding freight trains, and I decided to explore the evolution of the game. Dungeons ...more
Julian Meynell
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, rpg
In many ways it is annoying that this book was put out. It is probably the best iteration of D&D, although, I think 2nd edition was more conducive to role-playing, but it came out to soon after 3.0 and then was ditched for 4th edition too soon. I looked at 4th edition, but everything that I saw made it look like a complete disaster.

I am in the process, years after everyone else of switching from 3.5 to Pathfinder. Pathfinder is what 3.5 should have been. In it they comprehensively go in and
Sean
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dungeons and Dragons has been the premiere fantasy role-playing game system for the past 20+ years. There are no playing pieces and no dice--just the rulebooks, pencil & paper, and the players' imagination. One person takes on the role of dungeon master, creating a fantasy world populated with dwarves, elves and goblins, and describing that world to the players, as they explore it by telling the dungeon master what they want to do next.

The 3rd Edition Player's Handbook is one book out of the
Liam C.
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book my friend turned me on to the game and so he played as the Dungeon Master, the main person that tells the story, and another friend and I played as charaters in which the Dungeon Master throughs a story at you and you need to fight and use your imagination to make the story flow. It is really fun and although it is from like the 1970s-1980s game (don't know if that is right) it has really great bones and a lot has been based off of it. If you guys like aventure and writi ...more
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Andrew
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d-d-roleplaying
I guess I can count this, I did read it from cover to cover. This was hard to rate. It's not that entertaining in and of itself, but relatively speaking it is the most intriguing "rule book" I've ever read and it's definately in my top 10 for best games in the world. Hmmm I guess I will go ahead and put my other roleplaying books up here too. Although, I'll rate those strictly on game related content and not narrative value. (especially since I haven't read any of the other ones from cover to co ...more
David
Definitely the PHB as it's always been - an essential rulebook for D&D players. As with its previous incarnations and the other core rulebooks, it's not meant to be read front-to-back. So newcomers to D&D better get used to the idea that this is a reference book. You can start with the first chapter, but do use the contents and flip ahead or back to get to referenced topics. The 3.5 rules are a definite improvement over the 3.0 rules.
Freya "West" Potempa
Although I've been a long-time nerd of video game RPGs this version was the first time I'd played D&D. I was lucky to have friends explain a lot to me, because this is definitely not a beginner-friendly book, and I think that in general D&D is beginner friendly.

Especially now that 4th edition is out, I see just how convoluted a lot of rules and explanations were. It was chock-full of information, but not managed in a way where you could easily find it.
Jim
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerd
Pretty sweet! Its been a while since I played D&D and it was real fun to get back into it. I am a bit nostalgic for the good ol' 2nd edition rules, but I do appreciate the streamlining the game has undergone. (RIP THAC0!, you will be missed). Just when I got semi-familiar with 3.5 rules, I heard they were gonna release a 4th edition. Ha!
Alex
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who have the other two core books and feel like there's something missing
This counts as a book? I mean, it's a stack of paper with words on it but I wouldn't expect it to be on something like this.

It's okay. I mean, it made me worship the devil and stuff, but the rules aren't bad as long as you don't grapple and ignore alignment.
Guillermo
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book, good design but too many rules. I loved the artwork but they focus the book only in the rules ( i know that is the purpose of the book ) while a similar books try to explain those rules with some story that make more easy and enjoyable to read it
Shawn
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
While I actually liked this book better than the 3.0 handbook, the reason I gave it a lower rating is the lack of more than a few changes from the original. While it wouldn't have made as much money for the publisher the changes could easily have been handled online.
Preston
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is a great start up for new players. this book has evrything you need to know to play it has all the wepons ans the gods it evan has the aromor+pic.
it include all the spells and powers of all the players
Jonni
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Created an awesome bard using:

1. Player's Hankbook
2. The Quintessential Bard
3. Feats Book

This book was pretty straight forward in explaining any questions I had in character building and provided very well laid out charts and indexes.
Michael
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, rpg-books
I am a huge DnD fan, and by far 3.5 is my favorite edition. They really cleaned up the little mistakes and hooks from 3.0 in 3.5.
Robert Morris
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rpg-book
Good addition to the D&D line up.
Phillip Nordwall
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Many hours of fun
Angie Marker
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Great book. a core book needed to game with your friends.
Dustin
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: game-book
Of the WotC editions of D&D this is my favorite.
Sarah O'brien
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My preferred version of D&D-- 3.5 is pretty flexible, not nearly so dense as 2.0, updates a few errata from 3.0, and we won't discuss what happened with 4.0...
Hojaplateada
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posiblemente sea "La Biblia" de los manuales de los jugadores de rol. Posiblemente, sirva también para cualquier otro sistema de juego, al menos como guía.
Nathan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book to read if you are new to Dungeons and Dragons.
Abraham Ray
Detailed Roleplayers: Mittens and Jordan 39 11 Jan 10, 2014 02:36PM
Young Adult Roleplay: Ruchi and Jordan 13 8 Nov 27, 2013 09:25AM
GLBT + 1x1 Roleplays: Mysti and Jordan 1188 27 Nov 26, 2013 09:37PM
Detailed Roleplayers: Chickie and Jordan 1 3 Nov 06, 2013 05:28PM
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Warrior (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Complete Adventurer (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Player's Handbook II
  • Complete Arcane (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Monster Manual II: Dungeons & Dragons Accessory
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron)
  • Spell Compendium (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Manual of the Planes
  • Underdark (Dungeons & Dragons d20 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Accessory)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Stock #2101)
  • Monster Manual III (Dungeons & Dragons Supplement)
  • Races of Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
The game designer
Monte Cook started working professionally in the game industry in 1988. In the employ of Iron Crown Enterprises, he worked with the Rolemaster and Champions games as an editor, developer, and designer. In 1994, Monte came to TSR, Inc., as a game designer and wrote for the Planescape and core D&D lines. When that company was purchased by Wizards of the Coast, he moved to the
More about Monte Cook...

Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 (1 - 10 of 65 books)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide II (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Monster Manual IV (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Adventurer (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Arcane (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Divine (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Mage (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Complete Scoundrel (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 Fantasy)
  • Complete Warrior (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)