Start by marking “Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago...., Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago...., Vol. 2

Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago...., Vol. 2

(Star Wars (1977) #28-49)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Farm boy Luke Skywalker dreamed of going to the stars, only to get more than he ever hoped for when he joined an old Jedi to rescue a princess, aided a galactic rebellion, and singlehandedly destroyed the deadliest super-weapon ever devised. But Luke's adventures in the film Star Wars: A New Hope were just the beginning. From 19
Published September 29th 2010 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Omnibus

Ivy
5 stars

Very good comic book. Nice to know more about what happened during the original Star Wars trilogy. Nice to see all the characters again. The House of Tagge was very interesting.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars comics and books!!!!

Mark Oppenlander
This is the second of five volumes collecting the late 1970's and early 1980's Marvel "Star Wars" comic series. This one includes the serialization of "The Empire Strikes Back" as well as the first giant annual of the comic series.

What struck me this time was how the views of what constituted a "Star Wars" story were evolving in the writer's minds. The first omnibus had a lot of "monster of the month," journeys to strange new worlds and Western-in-space motifs. Rather than "Star Wars," those tal
Joseph
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, comics
Tough one to grade here, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and give 3 stars as opposed to 2. The stories were a little off the track for sure. The Empire Strikes Back adoption was good and that was like 4-5 of them. There were a couple of other story lines that were good and I still like the art covers. Having the bounty hunters after Empire issues was good as well.
Michael
The old Marvel Star Wars comics is the only place you'll see Darth Vader getting punched in the face by a cyborg bounty hunter, Jabba the Hut [sic] wearing pants, and Leia making out with some random dude two issues after losing Han to Boba Fett. Ah, the good old days, when no one cared about continuity. Or using too many bright colors.
Stephen T Shores
May 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
The comics look good for when they were made (1980's), but the stories are mostly silly and don't succeed in rising up to the level of later movies and SW:EU novels. I got bored halfway through and put it down.
Jedi Sunni
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine
28. What ever happened to Jabba the Hut?

All I have to say is Jabba the Hutt. I love the inclusion of a gangster in the star wars universe and who better than Jabba. The only thing about this character is he looks nothing like the original trilogy character. The story its self is pretty well written. I give this issue a 4.5 out of 5.0.

29. Dark encounter:

Excellent! I absolutely love the fight scene and the sacrifices that were made by different parties to further the efforts of the rebellion. Thi
Jaime K
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of Marvel #28-49, with Annual #1 thrown in. Most of the art design leaves much to be desired, but all of the detail and colours are spectacular. The editor notes annoy me as usual, although I did appreciate when Archie said that the plot being mentioned were unchronicled.

28. What Ever Happened to Jabba the Hut?
- The spelling doesn't bother me as it was still early on, and the art is very ugly
- Jabba's cronies chase Han. Both groups are infected by stonemites.

29. Dark Encoun
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently reviewed the original Marvel Star Wars comics collected in the first volume of the omnibus editions published by Dark Horse Comics. Despite some of the more eccentric elements of the collected issues, which were par for the course during that time in the comics industry, I truly enjoyed them. I voraciously began reading the second volume in spare moments.

Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago... Volume Two is great fun as well. The issues collected herein have all of the plusses of the s
Canaan Perry
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a huge fan of the Marvel "Star Wars" comics when I was a kid and I'm really enjoying reading my way through these Dark Horse Omnibus reprints. This book deals with the period prior to "Empire Strikes Back" and just after. The adaptation of "Empire" is also included and is a high point for Sci-Fi comics in general -- as Al Williamson's art is superlative.

The earlier Archie Goodwin and Carmine Infantino material is good fun to read. It borders on being silly at times but still reflects that
Lucas
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of the art and storylines seem like they come from writers who would have otherwise applied them to Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon/Star Trek/Twilight Zone/etc. comics- they don't seem very authentic to the Star Wars universe- though most of this book had only a single movie to go on. I'm guessing the artists of the later Dark Horse comics of the 90s were of a later generation the had the Ralph McQuarrie aesthetic instilled in them at an earlier age, had grown up drawing the characters and ships ...more
Sud666
Jan 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Hey what do you get when you combine wretched art, awful writing and a mishmash of stories based on the Star Wars universe before it was fleshed out. Well you have this. It's bad, really, really bad. I see a lot of people seem to like it due to nostalgia and campiness...shame on you. This is the kind of crap that turns people off from comics. Unless of course you are stuck in the 1970's. Skip this there are much better volumes of the Ommibus that are worth your time.
Mike Jozic
It's cringe - worthy reading some/most of these early Marvel stories. Although I realize the reasons, the stories are so tonally off it's hard to even enjoy them from a nostalgic kitschy viewpoint. the brightest lights in the whole book were the Michael Golden drawn issue (what a treat) and the final issue illustrated by Walt Simonson. I look forward to Omnibus 3 with more of his and Goodwin's work and I'll try to forget most of what I have read here.
Robert
Most interesting for the subtle differences between the planned version of Empire provided to the publishers to create the comics and the final version that appears no screen. No sliced Tauntaun, added Wampa fights, no "I know" from Han....who instead replies "I'll be back"?!?!?

Try not to think of Harrison Ford as a (terrible, terrible)Terminator now.
Daniel Rose
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm begining to like graphic novels more and more. They tell a ton of the side story of what led star wars characters to the decisions they made in the movies this volume dealt with inbetween New Hope up to Empire Strikes back which is included to the imediate after math. I love star wars so I'm biased about the like ability factor.
Grant
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another nostalgia trip. I remember the days when I had to wait for each month's issue, in the days when SW comics were about the only consistent source of new stories. Today, there's a new novel every month, but a long time ago . . .
Mike
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's got so many stars for the nostalgia value. Right around Empire the stories started getting really weird and goofy.
C.S. Daley
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Still wacky and all over the place. The adult me loves how different they are from what we now think of as the Star Wars Universe.
Craig Tyler
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks
The classic art of Carmine Infantino and the marvel adaption of the movie the Empire Strikes Back - what more could you ask for?
Mitchell
Good artwork and stories. Some new stories packaged with the comic book adaption of Empire Strikes Back.
Jason Nesmith
Oct 17, 2017
Jeremy
Mar 13, 2016
Rich
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2015

• Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 2
  • Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Vol. 3
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (The Force Unleashed, #2)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Boba Fett
  • Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #3)
  • Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead
  • Star Wars: Dark Times, Volume Two: Parallels
  • Star Wars Omnibus: At War With the Empire, Volume 1
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Star Wars Omnibus - Infinities
Archie Goodwin was an American comic book writer, editor, and artist. He worked on a number of comic strips in addition to comic books, and is best known for his Warren and Marvel Comics work. For Warren he was chief writer and editor of landmark horror anthology titles Creepy and Eerie, and for Marvel he set up the creator-owned Epic Comics as well as adapting Star Wars into both comics and newsp ...more

Star Wars (1977) (1 - 10 of 107 books)
  • Star Wars (1977-1986) #1