Start by marking “Discourse, Figure” as Want to Read:
Discourse, Figure

Discourse, Figure

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Lyotard’s earliest major work, available in English for the first time?

Choice Outstanding Academic Title

Jean-François Lyotard is recognized as one of the most significant French philosophers of the twentieth century. Although nearly all of his major writing has been translated into English, one important work has until now been unavailable. Discourse, Figure is Lyotard’s
Published August 11th 2011 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Discourse, Figure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discourse, Figure

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Discourse, Figure
Ryan Edwards
This is a monumental work, to be counted amongst the greatest works of twentieth-century philosophy. Long-awaited in English translation, DF can now be held up as the important work that it is. It can also, dense and brickish as it is, be used to thump those who would like to believe that Lyotard's importance (and not just fame) rose and fell with the feverish wave of postmodernism in Anglo-American universities.

Beginning with a protestation and a distinction, DF immediately sets itself apart
Erin Labbie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Didn't think I could do it, but I did- managed to teach the ch on dream work to upper level undergraduates!
Jessica Zu
this is pretty difficult to decipher but my prof is pretty good @ unpacking this for us. whew ... I hope I'll never need to read lyotard again.
Elise
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I am reading this book now. Tough-going. I have to read paragraphs twice to even get a slight understanding. But I am very interested in what he has to say, so I will persevere. If anyone has any insights (perhaps the person who taught this to undergrads?), please share.
David

Abdullah Başaran
Sep 05, 2013
Heather Lea
Sep 06, 2013
Jean-François Lyotard (DrE, Literature, University of Paris X, 1971) was a French philosopher and literary theorist. He is well-known for his articulation of postmodernism after the late 1970s and for his analysis of the impact of postmodernity on the human condition.

He went to primary school at the Paris Lycées Buffon and Louis-le-Grand and later began studying philosophy at the Sorbonne. After