Start by marking “Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive” as Want to Read:
Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive

Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  518 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
It's the real thing. It's about getting your life together. It's about looking damn fine. It's about man handling. It's about the casa question. About solitude. About stain removal. Whether you're a young woman just out of school and starting a career or a successful thirty-something, if you're still wasting time looking for stockings that match or struggling to keep on to ...more
Published September 18th 2000 by Workman Publishing Company (first published September 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Three Black Skirts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Black Skirts

Phyllis
I have a dysfunctional relationship with books meant to make anxious single ladies feel better about themselves. Sometimes they are very comforting, but I often get the feeling from these books that single ladies are supposed to fill all their waking hours with these zany activities that will prove that the single lady is living this unfettered, artistic and most of all WACKY!!!! life totally unknowable to a married woman and is therefore not sad and lonely and pathetic.

Some of the ZANY!!!! sin
Jimmyjane
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life, favorites
Oh, I adore this book. It's not that it changed my life, it's that when I'm feeling down or unsure or overwhelmed, it makes me believe I *can* change my life...and it will be there to help. It's like a reassuring friend or aunt, with sweet but straightforward, no bullshit advice. I flip it open when I want to remind myself of who I want to be and how to get there, and how to deal with everything in between. It's a sassy little book o' goodness ;)
Vee Garnett
should be required reading for all fifteen year old females. We
can afford finishing school but this book covers it all. I am giving copies to all the nieces for Xmas this year!
Gina
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
01/07/2017 Some of the information is dated, but that does not detract from the overall message. This was published 16 years ago, and a good deal of the information is still relevant.

12/18/2016 Most likely I am well outside of this book's reader demographic, but I am the author's age. I skimmed the Wardrobe Taming chapter in the Union Square Barnes & Noble in late 2000, and it stayed with me.

There are countless books re: capsule wardrobes, closet de-cluttering, and streamlined wardrobes, bu
Kerry
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
My mom gave this to me as a gift after it was first published. I didn't pay that much attention to the advice at first. As I have gotten older and gone back to this book, I wish I would have taken it to heart as there is some great stuff in here!
Sprout117
It's not that this book is genius or tells you a lot of things that you may not know, but it can be helpful from a humorous point of view. I found this book in my 20's and gave it to all of my best girlfriends throughout the years...and tags what it's about in a way: discovering your individuality while maintaining the comfort that we all have similar threads that bond us. A nice light read and reference for any girl in her twenties. Great gift idea....love love love!! Everyone else has always l ...more
L
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat outdated--especially on the finance count--and outclassed by your general google search. However, there were some. However, the air is very...hmm, classy and chic, I guess I'd say? Being a consummate blue jeans and t-shirt kind of girl (what she labeled as abhorrent, mind you) I didn't have much use for the femme makeup tips that I could've gotten way more detailed on a youtube search.

Anyways, it dates from early 2000s, so I can't hold it too much for that. Besides, I did learn some rea
Desiree
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion, nonfiction
fun! loved the simple, expressive line illustrations (by the author) so very, very much. i expected this to be more about style than it was-- really, there's just one fashion chapter. some of it's a little bit cheesy, but it was an enjoyable read with some excellent tips like charts of stain removal techniques, a basic wardrobe builder list, a toolchest for the girl finally out on her own, etc.

i would definitely recommend this as a grad gift or for a young divorcee or anyone else who might need
Katie
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Jenna
I received this book as a gift for a while back. I liked the all over idea of the book and the chapter. It covered everything from how to dress to spirituality to work, and covered the topic in a playful and modern way. I preferred the chapters individually over all together. By the end of the book I was feeling a little anxiety that I didn't have it all together like the book suggests it is so easily to do. Reading one chapter at a time and then giving the book a break is like a little pep talk ...more
Bailey Jane
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young women, female adults, single women
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: My best friend, Melinda
My best friend Melinda (love you!) bought this book for me as a Christmas present a long time ago and I referenced it the entire time I was single, and even still when I need to know how to fix small things around the house! It's one of those cute coffee table books explaining exactly how a woman can be sexy, healthy, and resourceful giving step-by-step instructions! It was a great present and although it's a great book for ANY woman, I recommend giving this book to a teenager about to go to col ...more
Diana
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-ficton, self-help
Lately I've been looking to these self-help books like they were security blankets. Of course some have been more insightful than others; this one seemed kind of over opinionated at times; kind of like that pushy person who only wants "what's best."
I had more than a few "This is how my life is, and I'm alright with it" moments.

I did enjoy all the old movie references.
Jenny
I love this book it gives the reader advice into how to live life in the world that we are in. When i first look at the cover i thought it was like a girly kinda book but once i open it, it is not, to me i think that this book gives great advice to people, it is not like life changing advice but like everyday advice
Sonia Wellington
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was skeptical when I started to read this book, however I promised Mindy I would read it so read it I did. Surprisingly, its full of wisdom, humor, wit, insight and practical hints. A fun, quick read, best done in small bits here and there. I look forward to adding this to my permanent shelves in the future.
Kellie
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom gave me this book a few years ago. I read it little at a time. It's sort of like a "Girlfriend's Guide" to major life areas -- from style/beauty/decorating to volunteering/relationships/spirituality. It doesn't delve too deeply in any area, but gives enough information for you to go your own way. The author has a sincere voice and a good sense of humor.
Esther
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A bubble gum self-help/self-awareness book. It reminds me a lot of the ones I used to read as teen but with a little more adult content. I enjoy anything that promotes self reflection and awareness and did find somethings useful to those purposes in this book. Mostly this is just a book to skim through.
Kirsten
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You'd have to be pretty stupid to learn much from this book, unless your under 15 -- maybe that's where I went wrong ?

Did read one handy tip though - to remove pilling from a sweater gently sweep it with a razor blade, - will try !
Nicole
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I'm bored, I can pick up this book and be entertained. Another favorite simply for the illustrations. Much helpful advice; I intend to give any female high-school graduate aquaintences a copy of this book in their college care-baskets.
Karen Rowland
Feb 08, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far it's really cute and thought-provoking, especially if you're ready to change up a few things in your life. It's a book on making small, but positive changes in your life - everything from eating to exercise to sex to fashion. It's a pretty quick read. I'll keep you all posted!
Maria Margarida Marques
It is true - It is all we need to survive. I loved it. It is real and it helps us - women - to get through this though life.
Carole Dailey
Great advise for young women, fresh out of college or home and starting life on their own. Decoratiing, relationships, entertaining, wardrobe - good stuff.
Elizabeth
Dec 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
My sister bought this for me years ago, and I'm surprised at how often I refer to it for home repairs, style and make-up tips, etc. Sort of silly, but fun and sweet too.
Kumu~aloha
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best of all those girl guides--witty and relevant! a perennial gift for all my cousins who graduate college.
Shannon
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book with general information about a variety to topics: home, finance, fashion, etc...
Elizabeth Hulett
This book is a fun read! It's just a quickie about what three skirts you need and why. It would be a fun, quick read and you're welcome to borrow it if you'd like!
Rebecca Weiant

Not bad until it gets all greenpeacey at the end.
Nilchance
I am officially too old, too fat, too dyke-y, too crippled and too poor for this book.

The skin-care recipes were nice?
Madeline
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-faves
"Self-help book" promoting humor, gumption and female independence.
Soapykitty
Cute
Claire
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, fashion
I found this book fun and helpful.
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • How to Have Style
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
  • Nina Garcia's Look Book: What to Wear for Every Occasion
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • The Go-Girl Guide : Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • The Goddess Guide
  • Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million without Spending a Fortune
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions

“My bottom is my deliquent daughter. I lavish praise upon her cheeks when she's well behaved and when she gets out of control, I pretend she isn't mine.” 4 likes