Start by marking “Making the Moose Out of Life” as Want to Read:
Making the Moose Out of Life

Making the Moose Out of Life

(Life in the Wild)

From the creator of Big Bear Hug comes the comic-adventure story of a mild-mannered moose who learns how to take life by the antlers. This moose may live in the wild, but he doesn't act it --- he watches from the sidelines as his friends have fun. Every now and then, he wonders if he's missing out on anything.

When the moose finally takes a chance and goes on a solo sailing
Published August 1st 2010 by Kids Can Press (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Making the Moose Out of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Moose Out of Life

karen
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
brian got me this book.

i'm not sure if his reasoning was

1) because it is canadian
2) because of the "clever" wordplay of the title
3) because he thinks that a picture book is the limit of my intellectual capacity
or
4) because it ends up being a survival narrative and he knows how i like those

i am going to go with option #2. and grumble about it.

this is a story about a moose who is very fearful of life and all its possibilities, when the possibilities require him to do anything involving movement or
Exina
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Making the Moose Out of Life is a funny modern tale about living your life to the fullest. Recommended.
La Coccinelle
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a silly story that has lots of unanswered questions... but a pretty good theme.

Moose always stays on the sidelines while his friends play. He never wants to join in and, as a result, starts to feel like he's missing out on life. So he takes a sailboat that just happens to be floating nearby, puts on his life jacket, and goes for a sail... only to get blown way off course by a storm. He ends up on a deserted island. While he could've curled up and cried, he decides to make the most of it.
Camille
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is another "children's" book that I think is clearly meant for adults who need to be motivated. I hate cheesy motivational stuff, so these kind of books really make me smile, think and wonder about my life.
So a moose realizes he's sheltered himself and sets out to find and experience what he's been missing out on.
If you find yourself in a hermit-like state, staying home or within your safe zone, but finding you want so much more, then this might be the book for you.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Making the Moose Out of Life was an adorable story with tons of clever word play and delightfully goofy illustrations.

I feel that adults and children can equally relate to Moose's narrative.
Ariel Cummins
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book in the vein of Scardey Squirrel that centers on the struggle of a moose who can't let himself let go of his fears and embrace life. He strikes out on a sailboat, and discovers that there is fun in risk taking!

Really delightful illustrations, but the story was only okay for me (perhaps because it's so close to my favorite squirrel?!?). Kids will probably relate to being scared and not able to do things their friends are doing -- life is a lot more intimidating when you're little!
Shelli
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found the unadventurous stay at home Moose very relatable; spontaneous Moose appeared to have more fun though. So does this mean that I should take a page from this book, step outside my comfort zone and live life to the fullest??? Maybe...if I ever finish off these piles of library books.

A cute little read for your adventurous or not so adventurous kiddos.
Peacegal
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extremely silly and inspired book about a moose who comes out of his shell in a big way. Adults will be laughing, too.
Veg*n parents note: At one point the moose learns how to spear fish, and this is shown in an illustration.
Samantha DeVoir
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst children's books I have ever read. It is sad really because it easily could have been a nice book, save for a couple of big detractors. Basically, you have a moose that isn't participating in life, and you feel bad for him because he could be having fun, though unrealistically, with his squirrel and bear friends. One spread in the book in particular ruined it for me. Moose realized something was missing in his life so, "The moose tried meditating . . . Searching the Inte ...more
Julian
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! There's a passive, sheltered moose that, like many adults, is content where he is and doesn't want to do anything different. There's always an excuse: too cold, too windy, etc. But deep down he knew he needed something else, something more, like we all do. The circumstances will force him to get out of his bubble and he will find himself along the way. Great story and the illustrations are perfect. They have the planned, controlled imperfections that are great for children's books.
Stefanie Burns
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Essentially a story about trying new things and taking chances. Great for some kids, maybe not for others. (Moose talks about cliff diving at the end of the story!)

Funny and entertaining. We see Moose as very timid in the beginning of the story and really missing out on life. He finally decides to try something new and it leads to a shipwreck, a new friend, new adventures, and a new outlook on life. Fun picture book.
HoopoeGirl
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations bump this up to 4 stars, and what a great cast with a moose, a beaver, and a bear. Glad moose was able to find his way on how to actively participate in life, rather than just sit idly by. Kudos to bear and beaver for already being self-confident enough to know how to make the most of the lives we're given. Would be a fun illustrated series to give the younger set.
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was a 3 1/2 stars for me. The title drew me in. I loved the idea of it but felt it missed an element of what really matters most. The moose learns to have fun, makes a new friend, travels, and takes some risks with leisure activities, but I wanted him to experience something with more substance too.
Dawn-Desiree
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story (and pun). Since my daughter went to university Moose have been a inside joke with the family (long drive through Moose country etc to get to University) so it seemed fitting that I discovered this book while visiting her, and it is a story about grabbing life by the horns!
Deb
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
I really like this moose.
Diana C. Kobylak
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The theme behind the story is to be all you can be. When the moose let's go of fear, a world of opportunities opens before him, including making a new friend.
Garrett
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
A weird version of "Robinson Crusoe".
Carrie Norris
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
longer #readaloud
Allison
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silly little book to encourage one to get out and live your life. Art was great. Plus, you know, about a moose.
Mary Anne
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A whimsical story about a once cautious moose who decides to "grab life by the antlers" and live life to the fullest.
Olivia Slykhuis
3.5 stars. Ok, the pun in the title helps this one a lot. A cute story about a moose who learns to take chances and try new things. Would use for a Canadian animals display.
Alexis Allinson
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for children with the life less to try new things and make new friends.
Sandy
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Moose never acted like a moose and he knew he was missing out. Mediating, star gazing, internet searching and a few other means didn’t provide what he was searching for so he decides to set sail in hopes that a water adventure might be what he needs. Washed up on the shore of a an island after a storm, Moose finds a tortoise and the two of them are faced with difficulties that allow Moose to find what he had been searching for. Moose found a life and he found himself on the island. As a cruise s ...more
Matthew Huang
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april13
This book is about a moose who is missing on all the fun that his friends Bear and Beaver are having. On one sunny day, Moose decided to go on an adventure in order to find that something missing. He crash landed on a deserted island where he meet a tortoise named Tuesday. They became best friends and had a lot of fun together. But eventually Moose had to go back to his friends, they had fun together every day and Moose found that something missing.
The reason I picked up this book was because I
Chenny Wu
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun book to read. I love how this story has a real life meaning, that tells you to try new things and experience more things in your life, and living it to the fullest, making the "moose" out of life. In this book, Moose was scared to try new things or feel uncomfortable, but when he decides to try sailing on a boat, a storm appeared and he ended up on an island and made friends with a turtle named Tuesday. He tried new things and when he went back to his friends he wasn't scar ...more
Amy Adams
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a really weird (to me) way to tell a story. The illustrations were cool to look at, but they just sort of supplemented the story. They didn't really help move it along or add anything special to it. The story itself was about a moose who didn't really want to do anything out of his comfort zone and was then put in a situation where he was forced to do so. There's only one character in the story that has a name, and he plays a fairly minor role. The main character doesn't get a name, whi ...more
Nico
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a Christmas gift. I was so moved by this sweeping narrative! From the moose's vacant stare on the front cover to the moose's vacant stare as he goes skiing, hockey-ing, marshmallow-roasting, and parachuting at the back of the book, I LOVED the moose's every adventure.

The best way to sum up the book is by taking the moose's own words from the final page: "I feel like a new moose. I am always doing something fun and exciting . . . Have you ever been to Africa?"

Go forth, confident, h
Dolly
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story in the Life in the Wild series by Nicholas Oldland. The story is short and humorous and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. The storyline reminded me of Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Jen
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-kidlit
I wasn't sure that a picture-book about self-actualization would go over that well, but in this case I was proved wrong. Moose is not a risk-taker, but he comes to suspect that he's missing out on something and in taking a tiny step forward finds himself on the adventure of a lifetime. My little people got the point straightaway: moose misses out on fun and making new friends by being afraid to try new things. That said, some of the humour is more adult centered, for example when Moose finds him ...more
Christine Turner
Although he lives in the wild, this timid, wide-eyed moose is anything but. While his friends go puddle jumping in the rain, he cowers under an umbrella, and he looks on shivering when others go skiing: "Not this moose. Too cold." Sensing he's "missing out on something," the moose decides to "take life by the antlers" and sets sail in a boat that breaks apart in a storm. Stranded on a remote island, he not only summons survival skills-foraging for food, building shelter and a fire-but happily sw ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Small Saul
  • Ten Birds
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella)
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Ron's Big Mission
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage
  • Meow Said the Cow
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
Nicholas Oldland earned a degree in Fine Arts at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick, Canada and enjoyed success as a commercial artist and filmmaker before taking up the role of Creative Director at Hatley, a popular apparel company.

Life in the Wild (6 books)
  • Big Bear Hug