Start by marking “The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1)

The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  7,466 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
The first in the newly repackaged Kensington Chronicles series, "The Hawk and the Jewel sweeps" readers from the tapestried halls of Victorian England to the alabaster courts of Arabia.

Everyone thought little Sunny had perished with Lady Gallagher in storm-tossed seas off the Arabian coast, but the beautiful toddler had been found, taken to the palace of Darhabar, and rais
Published January 1st 2004 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Hawk and the Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hawk and the Jewel

MAP
Nov 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance, religion
For a quick rundown on my opinion of this book, here were my updates while reading it:
1)"Nothing says "wallpaper historical" like setting your novel in 1844 and then having your characters talk about gender equality."
2)"Ermigerd nothing has happened for a hundred pages! Come ON, DO something, please! Bored bored bored."
3)"You know, it's really telling when your main thought while reading a book is, 'The BIBLE is less preachy than this.'"

For the long version, read here:
This is the second Lori Wi
Willowy Whisper
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! I have read millions of books (not really...but a bunch!) and I'd have to say that this was probably the most romantic, touching, and amazing book I have ever read! Her characters grip your attention, pull you into their world, and find a place in your heart.
Jerry
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great historical romance.
Carrie
I almost want to give this 2 stars, but what pushes me to three is that I enjoyed the story. Wick is a mediocre writer, and I was irritated at how perfect all of her characters were (besides the main character). There were times when I rolled my eyes at the language and actions of the characters. I didn't quit the book though, because I had to know the ending.

One of my gripes w the perfection of her characters is that they are Christians. Sunny, the main character, is not a Christian and makes a
Alicia
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I loved this book SO much when I was 14. The sweeping Victorian period, the romance between the staid Brandon and impulsive Sunny, the exotic locales of Darhabar and England, all of it.

But 20 years later, after re-reading this book, my feelings have changed quite a bit. Honestly, this book is still entertaining. Maybe not for the right reasons, but in a snicker-at-a-B-move sort of way. For instance, read this excerpt about two 16 year old friends in the book. If you think it is fine, then you w
Lexie
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I really loved about this story is that Sunny was flawed... Wick has a tendency of creating flat, idealized, and one-sided characters, but such is not the case with Brandon and Sunny. The only thing I did not like was the fact that she did little or no research on the Victorian era. It is described as being almost like a fantasy, with women being swept off their feet by their lovers. That is not the case... The Victorian era was not exactly a good era for the glorification of women. Th ...more
Jessie
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. I've read it at least 3 times. As with all my opinions on Lori Wick books, my only two issues with her writing are as follows: 1. Even though I myself am a Christian, I wish her books were LESS Christian. In my opinion, way too much of her books are chewed up by one main character leading another main character to Christ, and I just think that's a little preachy. (2. Her odd language :p like really, how many times can one character say, "Oh Brandon!" before it gets old? :p

But
Jeanann Barrett
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good love story -- easy read -- enjoyed.
Melissa
I read another book in this series when I was a teenager and really liked it, so I had high hopes that I would like this book too.

I really, really disliked this. The writing feels wooden and is the epitome of telling rather than showing. I disliked the controlling, over-protective relationship between the two main characters, and felt that all characters were flat and boring. There were little to no details to evoke the time and place. It amazes me that so many people have given it five stars.
Dee
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Lori Wick's English Garden series several years ago from our public library's Bookmobile service. I had students in my high school library request more books like Julie Klassen's and happened to remember Wick's series. I decided to order a couple of them. I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Since it's Spring Break, I also decided to reward myself with some pleasure reading time. So I settled down with THE HAWK AND THE JEWEL one day and finished it last evening. About halfway through the boo
Jennifer Dejager
All she knew was her life in Darhabar, but without Shani knowing what was truly happening her world was radically changing. Shani was from England, but as far as she knew her parents had both died from drowning, and she had been taken in as the emir’s daughter. The emir felt it time to let his daughter go and learn the ways of her true people, so he arranged her to tour an Englishman’s ship. When Shani awoke on the ship she felt a jolt and realized she was no longer on land. The captain, Brandon ...more
Waterfall
This started out interesting and then became boring. I was hoping for cultural conflicts and got very little, and the moment Sunny became Christian all her inner conflicts and doubt just disappeared. That was not only boring but also completely unrealistic, and it seemed to give the other characters license to treat her like a child and keep her in the dark 'for her own good' instead of explaining to her what was going on.

And someone falling in love with a young girl they have known since she w
Christine
First Christian romance to this atheist: lovely cover and interesting description captivated me. Was it worth it? Well, yes. Writing is dazzlingly clean and I dont mean lack of sexuality (which can be handled without dirt), I mean literal cleanlines, and albeit Lori Wick is clearly a writer with limited writing skills she does nice job in this story, with good setting and some beautiful imagery rivalling gorgeous title. Just what kind of 19th century name is Sunny? Anyway, it is nice, light read ...more
Sianne Morrison
well...you definitely know its a Christian book. Whole sections of quotes and verses and if in doubt just drop to your knees and pray. I was disturbed by the pedophilic tendencies. ...13 year old girl who is loved at first sight by an adult. Underlyong grooming...can't live without you. On the surface all above board but it kinda got stuck in my gullet somehow. I would leave this alone. not the best for several reasons.
Leanne Cragun
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this book. I read it halfway and got really tired of the trite and tireless story. It also bothered me that the story centers around a 13/14 year old girl and a 24 year old man. Does no one else find that a little strange? I have read other books by this author and liked them, but this one was very disappointing. I will not read the others in this series. I may try another series by this author, but if it is anything like this book, I'll give up on her.
Christopher Sumpter
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really sub-par writing. But of greater concern was its view of Christianity. The Christian members of the family talk a good game, but their lives are totally self-absorbed. They're so worried about the spiritual state of their little sister, but she's the only one actually doing anything for others. Once she becomes a believer, she also seems to abandon her good works and join the others in living only for self. Disappointing.
Nanci
This the first book I have read by this author. For the first 2/3 of the book I enjoyed it. A little preachy but I was invested. Then it just got a little too much for me. I became a little irritated with the characters and the story. On the whole it was a good story but It fell a bit flat. I enjoy Christian fiction for the most part but I like it better when they are less "preachy"
Haley S
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really love the story to this one!! AMAZING!!
Kristina
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this for the fifth or sixth time and will be reading it again:) One of my all time favorites.
Julie Gardner
An old favorite, a silly little historical romance that I love to reread and remember.
Stephanie Salyer
One of my favorite Lori wick books. This was the 2nd time but last time was before I had kids wow what a perspective came...lol earlier thought Brandon and Rand were big bullies but as a parent I really like them. The main character grows up as the book travels over many years but her adventurous spirit makes the novel a fun read. While it is a love, coming of age story, it also is about how hard it is to move and resettle in an unknown place like she has to do.
Chrystal Hogan Hood
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Anything Lori Wick writes is pure gold. I love Sunny and Brandon's adventure.
Nan
I love this series!!, this one is one of my favorites in it. I own these.
Becki
I don't think this was incredibly (or much at all) historically accurate. Perhaps to play up the romance side. Still a sweet story.
Sarah Southerland
A decent read overall. Instead of the “Show not tell” writing philosophy, it tells you everything from the characters to the circumstances. Easy and clean.
Courtney
This is my go-to feel good, easy, romantic read. I read this series every couple of years because of nostalgia. Not the greatest books in the world, but good comfort reading.
Toccoa Patterson
I loved this book! A Christian romance with a little bit of mystery, it was hard to put down.
Carissa Carns
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ive read this so many times, it's probably her best novel.
Angie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice historical love story. A little slow in parts, but otherwise worth the time to read.
Darla
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Genre:Christian historical fiction/romance) 2 1/2 stars--I liked it alright, but it wasn't a favorite that I will revisit. The focus of this book is 13 year old Shani who is being raised by a wealthy ruler in India in the 1800s. She is of English heritage, but knows nothing of her past, save that her biological father gave her to her stepfather to raise. Shani is a bit of a handful in her Indian household but she is her stepfather's favorite child and so she gets away with a lot. She has been n ...more
  • Arabian Winds (Egypt Trilogy #1)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • The Truth Seeker (O'Malley #3)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Letter Perfect (California Historical, #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick

Kensington Chronicles (4 books)
  • Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles, #2)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • The Knight and the Dove (Kensington Chronicles, #4)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)