Start by marking “The Nobodies Album” as Want to Read:
The Nobodies Album

The Nobodies Album

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  2,759 Ratings  ·  575 Reviews
From the bestselling author of The Dogs of Babel comes a dazzling literary mystery about the lengths to which some people will go to rewrite their past.

Bestselling novelist Octavia Frost has just completed her latest book—a revolutionary novel in which she has rewritten the last chapters of all her previous books, removing clues about her personal life concealed within, e
Published June 15th 2010 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Nobodies Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nobodies Album

Annalisa
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: f words
I loved Parkhurst writing, how she so precisely describes human emotion where I can connect with the moment and say "yes, I know what you're talking about; I've felt that too." I love it when a book captures my own epiphanies and experiences in life and feeds them back to me.

It is because of this that I connected with Octavia Frost. Battling regrets in her personal life, she writes a novel compiled of the endings of her previous works with new endings. On the day she is submitting the project to
Kari
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn Parkhurst makes me want to write novels. "The Dogs of Babel," one of my favorite books, reads like it was written effortlessly.

The skill involved in crafting "The Nobodies Album" is a little more apparent. The premise is that best-selling author Octavia Frost has decided to rewrite the endings of each of her books. The original and revised endings are woven throughout the book, as Octavia reconnects with her estranged son, a rock star, who has been accused of murdering his girlfriend.

My
Erica
I'm not sure what to do with this book. There were aspects I really liked but didn't like in the context of this story. I was bored throughout a good portion of the tale. Author Mommy playing detective pissed me off and the resolution to whodunnit would have made me throw this book across the room had it been a physical object. Ok, that's not quite true, I just sighed and rolled my eyes when the case was solved and was all, "Really?" (view spoiler) ...more
Ms.pegasus
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Two mysteries are intertwined in this third novel by Carolyn Parkhurst. The first occurred 18 years ago and both launched Octavia Frost's success as an author and ultimately, led to her estrangement four years ago from her son Milo. The event was an accident that took the lives of her husband and four year old daughter when Milo was only nine. However, the details of that event, and the uncoiling of Octavia and Milo's relationship is told in fragments as the novel proceeds.

The second mystery is
Roxanne
Apr 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received an advance copy of this book free through a giveaway here on GoodReads. Doubleday took an interesting marketing tact here; I was told when I won that, although I'm not required to write a review of the book, that that was kind of the idea and they hoped I'd review it. Sadly, I'm not sure they'll like the review I have to write about this one.

First, though, I want to say that I really like Parkhurst's work. I thought The Dogs of Babel was a wonderful book, and Lost and Found was a fun
Lynne Perednia
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When we first meet Octavia Frost, Dear Reader, she could come across as a smug, knowledgeable woman more proud of her novels than her estranged rock star son. But, as with other things going on in The Nobodies Album, don't come to a hasty conclusion. There's a reason why Octavia and Milo haven't spoken in years.

Octavia is in Times Square, going to her publishers to drop off her latest project. It's called The Nobodies Album, a name that came from her son, and is new endings of her earlier works.
Nancy
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw Richard III, a play when I was 21 years old. I was in London at the time with my sister. With all the Shakespeare talk along with the British accents, I understood very little of it. In fact, I only remember the scattering of the white and red rose petals at the end. Something about the war of the roses. I was bored throughout. I left the theater yawning. Another girl from our group was deeply affected and and kept talking about the beautiful symbolism.

Phht! Symbolism. Boring.

I saw Richard
Lisa
Octavia Frost, the protagonist in Parkhurst's latest novel, is a bestselling novelist, whose career took off after a family tragedy. With several novels under her belt, Frost thinks she has come up with a revolutionary idea to create an anthology of the last chapters of all her novels, but with different endings. Is it really her novels she wants to rewrite or her own history?

Frost's rock-star son, Milo, has been estranged from his mother; but a murder accusation forces them to confront their is
Lillian
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book has a gimmick in it and I should have stopped as soon as I discovered it. I hate gimmicks. The main character - a self-absorbed mid-level author - has just finished a strange collection of "stories." She's gone back and rewritten the endings to all of her previous novels. Yep, the original endings and the rewrites are interspersed throughout the story. Gimmick. The main "frame" of the story is actually pretty good. The author is trying to reconnect with her son and help him beat a murd ...more
Cheryle
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can we re-write endings? Octavia Frost is delivering a manuscript to her publisher that has rewritten the endings of all her books when she discovers that her estranged son has been accused of murder. Through the old and new endings, as well as in the telling of her story, we learn of her own personal tragedy and how it affected her and her son.

An exploration of love, loss, regret, relationships, and a mother's love for her child. I really liked this book!
Play Book Tag: The Nobodies Album / Carolyn Parkhurst. 3.5 strs 1 7 Aug 25, 2017 08:13PM
Question About the Book Ending (contains spoilers) 1 12 Aug 20, 2013 11:21AM
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • In the Heart of the Canyon
  • American Music
  • The Thieves of Manhattan
  • The Irresistible Henry House
  • The Map of True Places
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • The Widower's Tale
“I wake up in that state of grief when you can tell you've been mourning even in your sleep.” 6 likes
“The simplest thing that can be said about any person, any relationship, is that it's not simple at all.” 5 likes