Start by marking “Brian's Song” as Want to Read:
Brian's Song

Brian's Song

Two men. One named Gale Sayers, the other Brian Piccolo. They came from different parts of the country. They competed fiercely for the same job. One liked to talk; the other was shy. One was white; the other black. This is the story of how they came to know each other, fight each other, and help each other…
Published August 1st 1983 by Bantam (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Brian's Song, please sign up.
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenHopeless by Colleen HooverMaking Faces by Amy HarmonThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayMe Before You by Jojo Moyes
Emotion Overload
802 books — 1,212 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Saddest Books
472 books — 708 voters

More lists with this book...

Alisa
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
The true story of the relationship between Brian Piccolo and Gayle Sayers. Just as heart-wrenching as the movie.
Daniel Morehouse
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
If a reader enjoys a heartfelt story that is both inspirational and comical, then Brian’s Song by William Blinn is the perfect read. The emotional, screenplay style story is based on true events that took place within the Chicago Bears football organization. Two rookie half backs, Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers, compete for the same starting position. In the beginning of the story, both compete using every ounce of strength, heart, and will. By the end of training camp, Gale wins the starting ro ...more
Cade Green
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book Brians Song is about two rookie running backs who are drafted on the the Chicago Bears together. Both of them fight for the starting job but Gale wins the job. Gale and Brian become best friends and when Gale gets hurt, Brian helps him back into shape. When Brian comes back next season, he challenges Gale for the starting job but fails. The coach soon realizes he has worked hard and rewards both of them starting jobs, Brian at fullback. Soon something terrible happens that will change t ...more
Caro
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my alltime favourite book - I have read through 2 copies (destroyed the first one by reading it so often) and every time I pick it up I have to read it in one sitting.
Makes me laugh and cry every time.
A great story (hated the movie, though).
Jeff
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, film
I remember buying this long ago and "acting" parts of it with friends. I was a strange kid.
Brett
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
Very good, although we read a teleplay.
Carolyn Nika
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
William Blinn's purpose for writing Brian's song was to inform readers of a true bond of friendship that was created in a very unlikely way. Brian Piccolo, a white man, and Gale Sawyers, a black man, begin with only one thing in common, their love for football. They meet during pre-season for the Chicago Bears. The two start off merely joking around with each other in attempt to get on the other's nerves and by the end of the story, have become almost inseparable. This novel was intended for aud ...more
Asaf B.
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brian’s Song by William Bin is a very good and heartfelt book. It is a story about two young football players who both play running back named Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. Gale is black and Brian is white. The book shows their relationship throughout their years playing football which includes hardships along the way. The author, William Binn, has a very creative way of writing the story in a script form and also includes an intense and dramatic relationship between the main characters.

In Bri
Cooper
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it

Brian’s Song is a true story about two people named Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. They are both competing for the same job of being running back for the Chicago Bears. They became best friends through competing and rooming together. Gale plays most of the time over Brian but are still friends. In one game Gale breaks his knee and Brian is there for him. Near the end of the book they both get spots on the field playing together. But that all changed when something happens to Brian.
My favorite
Wesley
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Brian’s Song is a true story about a brotherhood between two football players, Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. Their friendship grows as they face adversity and each other. They compete for the same running back position for the Chicago Bears. Will their friendship fight through the adversity they face? Read to find out.
People can be friends despite race. Race doesn’t decide friends it should be based on character. Brian and Gale find a way to get through that. Many people also don’t believe tha
Nick Dahl
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book Brian’s Song is about two football players who play for the Chicago Bears. One Gale Sayers is black and the other, Brian Piccolo is white. They both play running back and quickly become friends. The book is about the good times they have as well as the illnesses, injuries, and competition that they face. The theme of the book is probably that friendship, happiness, and determination can conquer all.
My favorite character was Brian for several reasons. He is pretty funny and easy going a
Abi
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Brian’s song is a book about two very different people competing for the same job. Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo were competing for the running back of the Chicago Bears. Gale was shy but Brian was talkative. Gale was the starter and Brian was on the bench. Still, they both became friends and battled challenges together.
My favorite character was Brian Piccolo. Brian has a talkative and headstrong personality. “People are going to say that I got in on a pass, lucky break, and I won’t take it t
Jonathan Dykstal
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo are both running backs for the Chicago Bears and great friends. When Gale gets the starting job and Brian doesn’t Brian tries to prove himself by pushing himself harder than he ever has. Then Gale gets injured so Brian gets the starting job but Brian’s devolved cancer and he…
My favorite character was Brian Piccolo because he came from not the best collage but he still made it. “Gale- when I was in high school I was one of the best backs in the state. But unfortunate
Nick
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book Brian Song is about two running backs, one white and one black, fighting for their jobs on the Chicago Bears that create a strong friendship. They go through joy and hardship, but in they are just great friends. This is a story for sports lovers and people that love inspirational stories.
My favorite character in the story Brains Song is Brian. He was so positive and he always had hope even when things got tough. He also made the book funny and exciting with his smart remarks. Brian: “
Paxtonray
After reading this book I think the auther William Blinn, wanted you to realize the bond that Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo had. The fact that even though they were competing for the same position on the Chicago Bears football team, they had a great and unique friendship.

Both Sayers and Piccolo joined the bears the same year. They became roomates for all the away games and they were inseparable. I think the author wanted the reader to realize what a dedication both players had for football and
Deion
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best football books ever made. Yes, it's not that long, but it is great. Billy Dee Williams and James Caan were just starting out their careers and TV movies were still fairly new. This is a story of two opposites, one who was shy and kept to himself and the other who was cocky and confident. There would eventually see past their differences and become the best of friends. I like the chemistry that Williams and Caan had in this book.

They made you belive they were Sayers and Pi
Shaya
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this after loving the 2001 remake of Brian's Song. I wanted to learn more of the true story behind the movie and I realize I'd have been better off with Sayer's autobiography or Brian Piccolo's biography. Oh well.

It was enjoyable to be reminded of some of the good lines from the movie. There were some parts that were in the screenplay and not the remake and some parts in the remake were not in the screenplay.

The screenplay format was a little difficult because of the way the setting of e
Kathryn
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was laying around the house because my daughter was reading it. I had seen the movie several years ago (to the point I forgot most of it) and decided to pick it up and read it. It can be read quickly. Good story--written as a screenplay, so kind of short and to the point. This was a Battle of the Books selection this year, which is one of the reasons my daughter was introduced to it. It does have some colorful language in it (like the "n" word) which surprised me--after all, isn't that ...more
Debby
Screenplay of the story about Brian Piccolo, a football player for the Chicago Bears who died at age 26 of cancer. This story begins with his beginning as a rookie until his death. He goes into his relationship with Gale Sayers, his roommate and a black. Gale and Brian were the first two players for the Bears to room together and black and white.

Touching story - very brief and easy reading. They only deal with Brian's dying at the very end, and then not in great detail.

The other books on Brian m
Carrie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I think I need to see the movie- the book just did not convey the emotions that I have been told about this story of friendship. I kept feeling like I was missing a pivotal event that solidified their bond. It is a great lesson for older kids about cheering on and being happy for your friends- even when they are competing with you. It teaches the precept that you need to be strong for a friend even when it is agony for you. My son will enjoy this book.
Evy
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Written in screenplay format, William Blinn's "Brian's Song" gives you an amazing image inside your head of what this portrayal of friendship looks like. I watched the movie as well as read the book, but to be honest, I don't think that either of the two did the true story justice. This book was very moving towards the end, so if you're one that cries easily, break out the tissue boxes! It really wasn't my type of book, but it was good anyway - henceforth its rating.
Patrick
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
p.19 Martin Bormann is not in Argentina.

There is an apt Hemingway quote to begin the procedings. The story which follows is a mix of respectful competitiveness and a growing friendship. The development of the friendship between Brian and Gayle is framed within the game of the football, but extends well beyond the field.
Anna
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kylos
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: what does it matter? who am i to recommend things?
i never liked sports. i still dont, really.
at age 12 i couldnt understand anything related to sports.
then i was forced to read this book and i discovered that people involved in sports were people too. they had feelings and thoughts and they cared for each other.
thanks mrs demouth!
i still dont like sports, though.
Fishface
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, movies
One of the major tearjerkers of the 1970s. It was heresy to say this at the time it was popular, but it was essentially the story of how Brian Piccolo, a football player not really talented enough to live up to his professional-league dreams, became famous in another way by dying young of cancer.
Jeremy Stephens
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2010
I get the impression that this was originally meant only to be a tv movie and not as a printed play for people to read. i got this impression because everything in the story seemed so rushed. I did like this book a lot which is why I gave it 4 stars but I feel like it could have been better.
Marianne Jay
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brian Piccolo died the same year my dad did and from the same disease. Reading this book, was heartbreaking for me.

Many years later, I had the great privilege of meeting and talking to Gayle Sayers and the author's capture of his character is spot on.

A wonderful, wonderful book of friendship
Bill Priest
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 7th Graders
I'm forced to continually read this story with my children. I hope they make a play about Kobe and Shaq which supplants this in the curriculum.
Laura Bronick
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. I read it in high school and each time i reread it, it still strikes the same chord. It makes me cry every time.
Kevin
Nov 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
I think I read this in 8th grade, when I hated reading. But I read it in one sitting and it made me cry. Yeah, go ahead and laugh at me.
Week 23 Summarizer 2 4 Feb 04, 2014 02:03AM

• Delights and Prejudices
  • Catherine the Great
  • Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer
  • Winston S. Churchill, Volume VI: Finest Hour, 1939-1941
  • Winston S. Churchill: Young Statesman, 1901-1914 (Churchill Biography #2)
  • We All Scream: The Fall of the Gifford's Ice Cream Empire