Start by marking “Prisoner” as Want to Read:
Prisoner

Prisoner (Kria #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  2,161 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
A man whom all men fear...

General Dieter von Adolwulf has led the Scarlet Army of Kria to victory for the past decade, holding the infamous field known as the Regenbogen against Kria's hated enemies—the deceptive Illussor and the ruthless Salharans. War has waged between the three nations for longer than anyone can remember, but no one has held the Regenbogen as well as th
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner

Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Awesome! I really lost myself - in the best possible way - in this book. The world building was fascinating and interesting. There are three nations at war. Krians are warriors and rely on their swordsmanship to keep their enemies at bay. Salharans use drug-induced magic to attack and defend themselves and the drug they use (arcen) is addictive. Illussors are a people who owns a sort of natural magic, but their magic is causing problem to their population.

In this rich world, Dieter von Adolwulf
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Gavin
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I picked this up expecting an easy going fantasy/romance with the main focus on romance, but that is not the case. The balance between the romance and the fantasy aspects of the story was pretty good. Three separate romances played out in the background of war between three very different countries. The story had plenty of political intrigue, action, romance, and humor, all of which combined to hold my full attention.

The world building was fairly good. The three countries of Kria, Illussor, and
LD  Durham
Oh, dear. This book was a mess.

I've read other works by Derr before, and enjoyed them. So I'm not sure what to make of this one. First, the beginning twenty-five percent of the book is just scenes mashed together. The characters are introduced haphazardly with no real interest in getting my emotions or sympathies involved with them. Nothing is really explained, and the setting is completely left out. In one scene two characters are riding a horse, in the next they are suddenly in an inn, but I
Ilhem
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
3,5 stars

Kria, Salhara and Illussor are caught in an endless war where swords fight against drug induced magic while spies and politics are scheming in the background.
One winter, Dieter, Beraht, Iah and Sol are brought together by fate in an unlikely but efficient and often amusing alliance which sides with Prince Matthias, Esta and Kalan “triumvirate”.

After an awkward beginning (8% is not much but still, enough to leave a strong impression), this book ended up being a very pleasant surprise w
Mandi
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my reread of the new edition. And it's still such an amazing story that sucked me in like I haven't already read it a bunch of times. Kick ass world building and characters that just draw you in and keep you turning the pages.

I definitely enjoyed the added scene between Dieter and Beraht at the end. *grins*

I think if the author put together a book of just short stories of them two I might actually die of a fangasm. ;)

Really though, I can't recommend this highly enough.

(ETA - Currently
Sheziss
Where do I start?

description

There are three parallel stories in this book, with a different love story in each one, and a prisoner of some sort. There are three nations at war:

Krians who trust on weapons.

description

Salharans who trust on pollution potions.

description

Illusors who trust on natural magic.

description

Dieter is a Krian general who captures a Salharan "responsible" for the death of his entire troop, and makes him a prisoner. The prisoner is at the edge of dying and at that moment Dieter names him Beraht. Beraht is determined to
T.A. Webb
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three countries at war. No one can really remember what started it, but generation after generation, Krian, Illussor and Salharan men and women are sent to the battlefield to die for a disputed piece of land held by Kria.

When General Dieter von Adolwulf, leader of the Scarlett Army of Kria, prepares his troops to leave the battlefield after a long summer campaign, escaping before winter, he never expects to have scores of his men killed in a cowardly ambush. He has the assassin brought to him, a
Melinda
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nina
The world building is mind blowing, the characters layered and complex, and yet there aren’t many words wasted on characterization: we gather information mostly from what happens or from past stories.
The synopsis says the main characters are Dieter von Adolwulf (the Wolf) and Beraht, but this book is about them just as much as it is about Sol and Iah, about Esta and about the Brothers (so creepy).
It is really not descriptive in smut, but I didn't find it a flaw, although I usually like my romanc
Q&A with Megan Derr: ⚔ ⚔ Kria series ⚔ ⚔ 4 21 Jul 30, 2013 10:25AM
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Battle of Will
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • Cethe
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Bloodraven (Bloodraven #1)
  • That Famous Happy End
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...

Kria (5 books)
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Of the Forest
  • The Krian
“Women always know everything; they like to hoard the information until it can be used to maximum effect.” 7 likes
“No one can be miserable forever. No one is meant to be.” 7 likes