Start by marking “All You Get Is Me” as Want to Read:
All You Get Is Me

All You Get Is Me

A summer of love, loss, justice and chickens.

Published December 21st 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about All You Get Is Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All You Get Is Me

Start your review of All You Get Is Me
Cara
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I whole-heartedly thought I was going to love this book. I waited and waited for the library to get this and I stopped all the other books I was reading so I could read this. It had an interesting premise, and I did read through the night because it tackled a lot of social and personal issues people face. It excelled in some places, but it disappointed me in others.

Roar (whose full name is Aurora) lives with her father on an organic farm in California. It isn't something she wanted to do, her
Rebecca McNutt
It's really easy to relate to this book and I love the way Roar's surroundings and personality are described, as well as the way it captures the rural lifestyle.
Mandee
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, ya-lit
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I just won a book that only had two winners! That's definitely a first for me. Thank you so much, Yvonne, for picking me to get your book!

I'm so intrigued by the giveaway blurb: coming of age story that includes a legal battle that's To Kill a Mockingbird for our times. Hope that doesn't give it too much to live up to, but since I haven't yet read TKaM (seen the movie though) it shouldn't have too much affect on it for me. So looking forward to reading this. Thanks
Heather
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Roar has anything but a charmed life, but it’s a life she has become accustomed too, that is until her father has an existential crisis, quits his job as an attorney, and plucks her from her city home to grow organic produce on a ramshackle farm in the middle of no where. Now Roar’s days are filled with dirt, farm stands and small town folk, some of which aren’t too hard on the eyes.

While Roar grips the remnants of her old life with an iron fist, most notably her hobby as a photographer, she
Shannon Rogers
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Okay, this was one of those that I really wanted to like, and actually thought I would like. Aurora "Roar" is a 15 year girl who loves photography and carries her camera with her everywhere. Reminds me of my daughter. Yay! That's where my interest stopped, unfortunately.

The premise was very interesting and had me buying the book... the idea of a girl falling for a boy who happens to be the son of the woman who just happened to be responsible for killing someone you know by reckless
Kerri
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
This book surprised me. Right off the name 'Roar' put me off until I read that it was short for Aurora - what a relief! I'm glad that I decided to give this book a go. It was a fresh well-paced book that was believable. I loved the strong lead character and her quirky side-kick. This was a good moralistic coming-of-age story without being too overbearing. Throw in a hot tortured love interest and what's not to love? I highly recommend this book.
Prashansa
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how the author wrote this book. The characters that she put into the story fit in very well with the story. The plot was pretty interesting as well. I loved reading about her life as a city girl to a farm girl and realising how everything was different.
Tyler
Jul 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
i'm a little worried that the girl's name is Roar...but maybe that's just me.
Kat Drennan-Scace
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, ya, canadian, 2011

Angela Fristoe
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books
This was one of those random books I picked up. There wasn't anything that particularly inspired me to read it beyond the fact that it was a new release for the library. The cover was nice, but no wow factor for me. Even the blurb was just okay. Despite this I was willing to read, mainly because I needed a break from all of the paranormal and zombie books I've been reading lately.

In All You Get is Me, Prinz attempts to tackle some serious social issues and manages to do so without coming off as
Nancy
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a troublemaking sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under ...more
Princess Bookie
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: We are introduced to Roar who is a photographer. She loves to take pictures and carries her camera around everywhere with her. I have a bit of a photographer in me so I totally understand where her passion is coming from. She moves on a farm with her dad after her mom leaves and they become farmers. One day, while on the road, they witness a lady (Connie) getting in a car accident resulting in another lady's death (a non-american) Sylvia. The lady (Connie) had given Roar's dad the ...more
Wendi
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Catalina
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program!

I quickly got into this book from the first page. I am pretty sure it had to do with the fact that I can relate to it a lot. It is a story about illegal immigrants and as I live in New Mexico where roughly thirty percent of our population is mexican immigrants, I can associate with the culture and language. I really enjoyed the writing, I love the writing of novels most, so I was so excited when I saw how rich in details this novel
Katie
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it
All you Get is Me is a book the deals with some heavier topics, illegal immigrations, immigrant rights, and love is one of its lighter topics.

Roar is our main character is this book. To me, she was very hard to connect to. There was just something about her that I just couldn't figure out. She was a nice girl but I never felt like I knew her. Nothing about her made her relatable to me.

The romance and the love interest were very well done, though! Roar and Forest were adorable. This was probably
Katie
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
All You Get Is Me pleasantly surprised me. I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did for it seemed like just a simple story about a city girl adjusting to her new life as a farmer’s daughter. But it was so much more than that. Roar is a realistic teenage voice who is falling in love for the first time and dealing with a legal catastrophe that gives it a vibe reminiscent of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Roar and Forest, the son of a city woman who has stirred up a lot of chaos in the small town,
Mr.
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mr. by: Danya
Shelves: books-i-own, y-a
I wasn't sure where this book was going to go after I read the synopsis, but I was expecting a story about an angsty teenager upset about leaving the city to become a farmer. I was extremely happy that this was not the sole purpose of the novel (which, by the way, I thoroughly enjoyed). I especially liked how Prinz included civil rights issues and the rights of illegal immigrants. It reminded me a lot of "To Kill a Mockingbird" (albeit with a much happier ending). A difference that I really ...more
Jill
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
There were some good elements here...an interesting story & characters, but the ages of the characters didn't ring true for me. They were too mature for teens but not...
Melannie :)
Nov 24, 2010 marked it as to-read
GORGEOUS COVER!

looking forward to this.
Emily Gillespie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Page turning coming of age story. I read this in 2 days. Interesting reflections about family connections, friends, and first love. However, plot was fairly predicable, and dad was presented as a white outsider turned hero for immigrants.
Jen  Bigheart
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
3.75 Stars

Roar, short for Aurora, is adjusting to her new life living on a farm quite well considering she didn't want to move in the first place. It has only been two years since Roar's father moved her from San Francisco to the Middle-of-Nowhere, California. Her father, once a big-time lawyer, decided that a drastic change was needed after Roar's mother disappeared one too many times during a drunken binge. Roar's mother abuses alcohol and would come and go as she pleased. One night, she
M
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I have some pretty strong, positive feelings about books with photographers. I loved photographer as a teenager, and I think it's one of the coolest hobbies to have. With the decline of film photography over digital, it's a little less common to talk about things like dark rooms.

Roar is a photographer whose father has swooped their life up and planted it on a farm. Rather than spending his time in court, he wants to get into a more organic, earthy lifestyle. The reasons for this aren't all that
Kayde
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
All You Get Is Me By, Yvonne Prinz is about a realistic teenage girl name Roar (whose real name is Aurora) Roar loves photography and carries her camera with her where ever she goes. Roar’s father moved her out of the city to an Organic Farm, where she is now forced to be a “farmer’s daughter.” She lives a typical country life with lots of tasks to do on the farm. But this summer things are going to change.
Life on a farm is tough for Roar. She wakes up at the crack of dawn and has a list of
Rachel
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Let me start off with saying that I need to just give up reading books about fifteen year olds. They really irk me. I can read about sixteen and seventeen year olds, but fifteen.... they might as well still be wearing diapers. So right off the bat, our lovely protagonist, Roar (Aurora, yeah now they weird nickname makes sense) is an obnoxious little fifteen year old, who in the course of the book decides that she's madly in love with this boy, Forest, and they are gonna be forever. Okay, I just ...more
Bethany Miller
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: royal-march
After her mother leaves them, Roar’s father decides to quit practicing law and move them from San Francisco to a farm in the country. Roar’s not happy about the move at first, but she begins to enjoy the beauty of life in the country. She’s a photographer and finds many interesting subjects in her new environment. One day she and her father are on their way to the farmers’ market when an obnoxious woman who has been tailgating them in an SUV attempts to pass their truck on a double yellow line. ...more
Melissa Ramirez
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A Solid 3 stars...maybe 3.5.

I really did like this book; much more than "The Lucy Variations". Perhaps it was to do with the different subject matter (photography, farming/environmentalism) but in any case, I connected to it much more! I liked the character of Roar - and the all the times she talked about living on the farm. It would be a lot of hard work; but I would definitely be willing to try some farming...I think it would be incredibly rewarding in almost every way!

This book struck me as
Mary Brebner
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
The blurb doesn't really do this book justice. It's so much more than just a story about a reluctant farm girl, although that's part of it. ALL YOU GET IS ME is a beautifully constructed novel about love and justice and truth--all done without a preachy, the-moral-of-the-story-is tone.

I'm trying to think of a way to tell you about this book without giving anything away. I've already deleted a paragraph because so much happens in the first ten pages, and it's so much better if you just experience
Zoe
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I haven’t really explained how my review process works, but I have a list of all the books I’ve read that still need to be reviewed, and I slowly write the reviews. I rarely read books that I review immediately, but sometimes I read that one really good book that I need to tell the world about. Well, lovely blog readers- today I have read that book.
I read Yvonne’s other book The Vinyl Princess last year and I loved it a lot, so I’ve been anticipating the release of All You Get Is Me for awhile
Emma
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: vine
Fifteen-year-old Aurora "Roar" Audley is a city girl at heart. Especially after two years living on a farm with her father under protest. Roar can't wait for her big chance to get away from this farm girl life that she hates.

At least until a tragic accident brings Roar and her father to the center of attention in town. And brings a mysterious boy to the center of Roar's attention.

Suddenly everything seems different. Maybe the life Roar's been so desperate to leave behind is really the one she's
Mary
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
All you Get is Me by Yvonne Prinz is about Roar, 15 year old newly hatched farm girl who is struggling with living on the farm, her friend Storm's craziness, her secret relationship with Forest, which her father would not approve of, acceptance about her mother's problems, and the lawsuit her dad is stirring up for the death of an illegal Mexican worker. Let's just say her life is not easy.

When I first read the blurb, I will admit that I was none too drawn in. But I was in a hurry at the library
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All (Dork Diaries, #5)
  • The Beauty of the Moment
  • The Lonely Dead
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • How I Got My Shrunken Head (Goosebumps, #39)
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
  • Friends Forever
  • Sisters
  • Adultery
  • How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • See What I See
  • Taking Off
  • Displacement
  • Dreamland Social Club
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • My Life, the Theater, and Other Tragedies
  • Rae: My True Story of Fear, Anxiety, and Social Phobia

"If You're Lucky" (Algonquin Books For Young Readers) will be arriving Fall 2015.
“My kiss with Forest made every other kiss completely forgettable.” 6 likes
“I brush some of his hair out of his eyes and look at him with so much love that I must look like I’m going to burst.” 4 likes