Start by marking “The Inner Game of Stress: Outsmart Life's Challenges and Fulfill Your Potential” as Want to Read:
The Inner Game of Stress: Outsmart Life's Challenges and Fulfill Your Potential

The Inner Game of Stress: Outsmart Life's Challenges and Fulfill Your Potential

(inner Game)

Renowned sports psychology expert W. Timothy Gallwey teams up with two esteemed physicians to offer a unique and empowering guide to mental health in today’s volatile world. The Inner Game of Stress applies the trusted principles of Gallwey’s wildly popular Inner Game series, which have helped athletes the world over, to the management of everyday stress–personal, professi ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Random House (first published August 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Inner Game of Stress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inner Game of Stress

Diana Buliga
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing toola to know yourself and reduce stress
Rose
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has stress
Recommended to Rose by: Won this from Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from Goodreads and I really enjoyed it. I found I was already using some of their tools form the toolbox portion of the book and I found at least 2 more tools that I will use in the future.

The best thing about this book is it does not read like a textbook or a paper. It's like having a conversation with the author. I also enjoyed reading the examples from the two doctors who contributed to the book. Real life examples really hit home.

This book is broken into three parts -
Sara
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Goodreads
I don't know if I would have read this book if I had not received it for free, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I've never read another book dealing with how to eliminate and/or reduce stress in your life, and I think this book did an excellent job explaining ways that stress manifests itself in our bodies, techniques we can employ to reduce our stress levels, and ways to gauge our progress.

There is apparently a whole series of Inner Game books, and the main author is a tennis coach who's used t
Lisa
Aug 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uh, no one.
Listen, I want Goodreads to know I am neither a yes-man nor a naysayer. I didn't like this book. You can keep sending me free books or not, but it's like That.

I would easily have chucked the entire first half of this book; the practical exercises and any usefulness at all come in the second half.

His writing is unoriginal and derivative; he steals wholeheartedly from Buddhism yet never mentions or credits it as a spiritual discipline. He even pokes fun at Zen.

The style is uneven, horribly pompou
Let me begin by saying I'm not a big fan of self help books. I think most of them say what we already know, and are therefore a waste of money; however, this book may help you realize what you don't know, or believe what you do.

Every morning when I come to work, my stomach starts to ache and rumble and becomes bloated. I told one of my closest friends and he suggested I go see a gastroenterologist, which I've been saying I would do but never had a chance to. My mother, on the other hand, said it
Amy
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads. It is a very practical and easy read with ideas that are easily applied to every day life. I know one reader didn't like it because it didn't attribute some of the techniques to Buddhism, yet I liked the book. It is not normally the type of book I would have picked up off of the shelves at a bookstore. I will re-read it, though, and will also recommend to family, friends, and coworkers.
Gwen Skrzat
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest offering from best-selling author Tim Gallwey. It's easy to read, enjoyable, well illustrated and full of anecdotes. He wrote it together with two good friends who are MDs, so it contains a lot of information about the biological aspects of stress, written in a way that everybody can understand. The crux of the book is the underlying philosophy that living in chronic stress should not be an option for our lives, and that in order to live lives that aren't marred by stress we n ...more
Lacie
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great self-help book that does not wallow in the trials and tribulations of life but rather points the reader forward toward a life that manages stress so that you can fulfill your greatest potential. Stocked full of great ideas and exercises to make you the CEO of your own life, Gallwey's book is extremely inspiring and helpful if you're having problems managing the stress that comes from too many demands on your time or even if you just need a few tips to better manage already well m ...more
Katie
I read The Inner Game of Tennis at the recommendation of my tennis coach several years back. I remember enjoying it so I was excited to receive this book from a giveaway here at GoodReads. I wasn't disappointed. I read this book in just a few days and completed the exercises along the way. It never felt like work, but I still felt like I learned a lot about myself and about stress. The writing was never technical, but the case studies and medical information were a great compliment to the theori ...more
Bhumi
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, first-reads
I received this book from the First Reads giveaway.

A good book. It was really inspiring, and I enjoyed reading the real-life examples, which were easy to relate to. I especially liked the Patient Files. For the most part, the techniques introduced in the book were practical, except for the parts when the reader was told to write things down and make a list. However, overall, it was still a very interesting book that I enjoyed reading.
Diane
Although most of what was written seemed like common sense to me, there was a lot of very interesting information. The book offered a fresh and different perspective on stress management.
Joanna
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. If you’ve read The Inner Game of Tennis - you already know basics of the Inner Game.

In this book, Timothy Gallwey applies the Inner Game principles to managing stress. Worth reading, particularly if you’re a fan, or haven’t read his first book and want to understand how the thinker and the doer contribute to the quality of our performance in any area of our lives.
Beverly Diehl
I admit, as I prepared to go to a first very important conference, I was really feelin' the stress. Had been for some months ahead of time. So I called on this book to help me sort that out, and you know what, it truly helped.

The Inner Game of Stress offers all kinds of tools to reset our perception of something being stressful - or not. To shut down that horrible Self 1, aka the Stress Maker, the voice that can (if we let it) keep up a constant barrage of negative, stress-inducing inner dialogu
Writing Goddess
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, as I prepared to go to a first very important business meeting, I was really feelin' the stress. Had been for some months ahead of time. So I called on this book to help me sort that out, and you know what, it truly helped.

Emily
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Gallway's sports/life balance comparison and found the inner book of tennis to be an invaluable book to deal with body/mind/spirit connections, not just on the court.

So I read this one on my kindle in between running round teaching classes. True to his basic premise in all of his inner-game books this one didn't surprise, but I found the tools to be well-delivered and with many positive, inspiring examples of people making changes to their stress levels and benefiting on all levels.

If y
Anna Sochacka
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thias book explains in a very simple and affordable way how chronic stress affects our lives, health, productivity at work. In real descriptions from the medical practice of authors we are able to find examples from our own life. The author presents many technics of fighting stress, simple tricks by which our lives can get back on the right path. I would definitely recommend it to stressed, overloaded with duties and those who would like to have more satisfaction from what they do.
Gloria
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Easy to read, practical book with tools to combat stress. Many types of stress included, including end of life and aging problems. The author includes many true-to-life situations and shows how stress was resolved using their tools. While not especially original or inspiring, it nevertheless is a comprehensive look at the psychological side of stress. Diet and exercise are mentioned, but only as suggestions.
Kacey
Aug 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized while I read this book that I don't have a very stressful life. The thing that stresses me out the most is my kids, so maybe I need to read some parenting books. It was a good book though. I liked that at the end of each section, there were exercises so you could practice the technique or idea they just talked about. There were some really good ideas that I would definitely use in a stressful situation.
Elizabeth
An interesting look at stress using a sports coaching approach to deconstructing stress and reconstructing a persons ability (resilence) in dealing with it. many practical perspectives and approaches to reframing one's thoughts and feelings re: stress into thoughts about our inner resources and stability to bear stressful situations.
Ignacio Cusí
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Performance, learning, and enjoyment. Great way to tackle stressfull working moments.

Im eager to read the one on golf!! I definately need it
C Gohn
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read that all people who struggle with stress or anxiety should benefit from.
Zebulon Tiedeman
Jan 03, 2017
Melody Jones
rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2015
May 26, 2018
Alison Miller
Jan 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • I Hate People!: Kick Loose from the Overbearing and Underhanded Jerks at Work and Get What You Want Out of Your Job
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • Prisoners of the North
  • Women of Covenant
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Raising Kids on the Spectrum: 101 Inspirational Stories for Parents of Children with Autism and Asperger's
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books
  • The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited: Real-life lessons in Word-of-Mouth Marketing
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • Emotional Contagion
  • Shock of Gray: The Aging of the World's Population and How it Pits Young Against Old, Child Against Parent, Worker Against Boss, Company Against Rival, and Nation Against Nation
  • Your Mind Is What Your Brain Does for a Living: Learn How to Make It Work for You
  • The Truth About Food: What You Eat Can Change Your Life
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Worry
  • The Female Body Breakthrough: The Revolutionary Strength-Training Plan for Losing Fat and Getting the Body You Want
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
W. Timothy Gallwey (born 1938 in San Francisco, California) is an author who has written a series of books in which he has set forth a new methodology for coaching and for the development of personal and professional excellence in a variety of fields, that he calls "The Inner Game." Since he began writing in the 1970s, his books include The Inner Game of Tennis, The Inner Game of Golf, The Inner g ...more

inner Game (7 books)
  • The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance
  • The Inner Game of Music
  • The Inner Game of Golf
  • The Inner Game of Fencing
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • The Inner Game of Wrestling
“Eu1 - sinele inventat, umplut cu concepte si asteptari despre bine si rau, despre ce trebuie facut, despre ce e de dorit si ce nu.
Eu2 - cel care joaca”
0 likes
“Cele trei componente stabile ale muncii lor: performanta, invatarea si bucuria. [...] Cele trei componente ale muncii sunt interdependente. Daca, in stradania de a avea performanta, componenta de invatare este ignorata, performanta va scadea inevitabil sau se va opri la un anumit nivel. La fel, daca bucuria lipseste din ecuatia muncii, atat invatarea, cat si eprformanta vor avea de suferit.” 0 likes