Start by marking “Hiring The Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing and Recruiting” as Want to Read:
Hiring The Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing and Recruiting

Hiring The Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing and Recruiting

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Employees are your company's number one asset. Hiring the Best offers managers and HR personnel a proven and practical approach to recruiting and selecting the right people for the job. With over 400 questions you can use to interview candidates and obtain the most pertinent information, you'll be armed with the tools you need to ensure that you are indeed Hiring the Best. ...more
Paperback
Published August 30th 2005 by Adams Media (first published April 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hiring The Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiring The Best

GoldGato
It's always nice to get another perspective on the process of hiring new employees, and I have found this book to be very helpful. I think the reason it ranks as my favourite interview book is due to the fact that it addresses the three points of hiring, which are:

1. Is the candidate able to do the job?
2. Is the candidate willing to do the job?
3. Is the candidate going to be manageable?

In an age where true references are not really available due to company restrictions on releasing data on emplo
Lori
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few days after being promoted into my first management position I needed to hire someone, and needed some guidance. This book gave me the basic information to conduct thorough interviews and a philosophy/structure to start the process. In the intervening years, it's also served as a way to prepare to be interviewed... when I can answer the questions in this book clearly I am much more prepared and comfortable sitting on the "other side of the table."
Beau
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book, 15 years ago, I thought I knew how to interview people. I was mistaken.

Mr Yate described a simple process of matching resume to job, and then planning the interview skeleton to clarify specific things. It changed my mind about this critical business practice.

If anyone ever gets hired again in this country, the person hiring should dust off this book first and prepare like a professional.
Arseny Khakhalin
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent book; very well written, and a great bank of interview questions, well structured and annotated. It's probably a good idea to flip through its pages before each job search, just to refresh possible questions in the mind.
Josh Holtzman
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
My first book on interviewing skills. Lots of insight for the in-experienced interviewer, and real world techniques I'm excited to try out.
Hope Baugh
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Practical tips and good philosophical food for thought for both sides of the interview table.
Wayne Zill
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wayne by: waynezill@gmail.com
This is a great reference book for anyone doing interviewing or hiring in any size business. I highly recommend its practicality and simplicity to help in the interviewing and hiring processes.
Pat Murphy
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
A handbook on how to hire the best employees.
Mkrone
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This was just okay. The other hiring books I've read are way better.
marj