Start by marking “The Sinner (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sinner (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #3)

The Sinner

(Rizzoli & Isles #3)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  41,289 ratings  ·  1,615 reviews
From the "New York Times" bestselling author of "The Surgeon" and "The Apprentice" comes a chilling new novel of suspense featuring Boston medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles, on the deadly trail of an anonymous madman who's committed an unholy crime. . . .
THE SINNER
Not even the icy temperatures of a typical New England winter can match the bone-chilling scene of carnage
Published August 19th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Sinner, please sign up.
Fred Yes, especially shown in the last chapter in the church
Irene
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  41,289 ratings  ·  1,615 reviews

Start your review of The Sinner (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #3)
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fiction, z2018
3.5 Stars. (Review contains slight spoilers for books 1 and 2 of the series).

Honestly, I didn't enjoy this as much as book 1 & 2. It was different to the others because instead of heavily relying on the surgeon (and the apprentice), it focused on Rizzoli & Isles solving a few cases and dealing with personal issues. I did find it weird that Rizzoli didn't really think of the Surgeon at all. He went from dominating the first two books, to disappearing and I know it might be because she
Jonetta
It all starts with the murder of a nun within her abbey along with the assault on another. As Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles investigate, it leads them toward some highly surprising and divergent paths, including connections to other circumstances.

This is the book where we learn more about Maura Isles, finally. Her voice is the strongest though Jane gets considerable space. Nicknamed the Queen of the Dead because of what she does and her gothic look, Maura had to be more complex than a caricature
Jean
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.” No one comes out and says those words in Tess Gerritsen’s The Sinner. This is the third suspense novel in her Rizzoli and Isles series, and I confess, it’s a practically a sin that I haven’t gotten around to reading this book until now. It’s been three years since I read The Apprentice, and as many avid thriller mystery readers know, there are so many amazing books out there just waiting to be read that it’s hard to get to even a small percentage of them. ...more
Heidi
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well-written entry in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series... even though this is really the first time we get a chance to meet the ultra professional ME Maura Isles, I finally understand what folks like about their match up.

And even if the mystery was actually a bit cliched (I won’t give it away but you’ll know what I mean when you read it), it was still an interesting mix of characters — victims and villains alike.

I especially liked that Jane Rizzoli’s life is changing as Maura Isles
Jim
The third book in the Rizzoli & Isles series and we get to know the characters better. Especially Maura Isles who until this book seemed to have more of a supporting role. The story opens with Isles performing an autopsy when she receives a call from detective Jane Rizzoli asking her to come to a crime scene.

The scene is the chapel of Our Lady of Divine Light, a cloistered convent. There two nuns were savagely attacked. 20 year old Sister Camille is dead. The other is critically injured. Who
Raíla
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I have already read and reviewed The Surgeon and The Apprentice, Tess' previous books in the series, I still feel that it's such a perkiness of mine to review any book written by this genious (I emphasize: genious!). Gerritsen, one more time, now through The Sinner, made me hook into her writing until the end, NOT letting me to put it down, despite a few flaws I found that I dare myself to point again.

A crime envolving two nuns, in the circuntances presented by Jane and Maura
Fred
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Erin
If you haven't noticed, I'm obsessed with this series. Despite how different the books are from the tv show, reading them really makes me want to binge watch the show ( I need to see if its streaming anywhere).

The Sinner is about the death of a 20 year old nun and the nearly fatal assault of an elderly nun. While investigating Rizzoli and Isles discover the dead nun had recently given birth(not a spoiler, that's on the back cover).

I was happy to finally get more Maura Isles. The first two
Carolyn
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, 2017
A complex case for Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles with some red herrings thrown in. The case kicks off in with the violent assault of two nuns in a convent, leaving one dead and one grievously injured. One has recently returned from India and one is new to the order and has a shameful secret - but is that the reason they were attacked? The gruesome find of a hideously mutilated body in an abandoned building also keeps Rizzoli and Isles busy. Both must also deal with their love lives as Maura's ex ...more
Eric
The Sinner is a macabre thriller. If you have a vivid imagination, this book will probably gross you out in parts. Besides, "the case" Rizzoli and Isles have some personal dilemmas to face. This is perhaps the best book of this series I have read so far.

This is a well written murder mystery featuring Rizzoli, the tough female detective, and her colleague and friend, Isles. Maura Isles is the Medical Examiner (ME) who "processes" the dead involved in violent crimes. In this story, a brutal murder
Shaikha
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

First there was Detective Jane Rizzoli, then you were introduced to Maura Isles. Now you get to know her more as Tess Gerritsen tells you a part of the story through her point of view. You get to see where she lives and how she works beyond the operating table in the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Two nuns were attacked in a Convent, one a young runaway from a family of skeptics and the other is an old-aged humanitarian. Each had a deep dark secret, but who was the reason for the
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

I really enjoyed the third book in the series - it continues to deliver on the gritty suspense! This novel has a new case and we get to know more about the elusive Maura Isles. This series is more case driven than about the characters but never fear as the books progress we do learn more about them. I am a fan of Jane's mom.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot better than the 2nd book in the series. The plot was really engaging and I had a hard time putting my e-reader down and getting anything else done. I'm definitely continuing reading this series.

(My husband did talk me into going to the movies and we watched 3 Billboards. I'm a fan of Frances McDormand!)
Lain
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rare is the thriller that can scare me enough to leave the lights on at night, while bringing me to tears. The Sinner did both. Filled with more twists and turns than a labyrinth, The Sinner throws a curve at both Jane Rizzoli and ME Maura Isles. Jane must deal with a huge obstacle in her life as well as her relationship with Gabriel Dean, and Maura must face her own ghosts in the form of her ex-husband.

This book serves as a pivotal point in the character development of both women, and is a
Melissa Griffith
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I've read Tess Gerritsen's first two Rizzoli and Isles books before this one. I really love the way that the case progresses and keeps you hooked in those two. This one, while still very interesting, is a very abrupt change from the first two books. And while I read both of the first two in five days, this one took me almost six weeks because when I set it down, I didn't feel all that strong of a need to pick it back up.

Between book two and this one, the setting moves from a blistering summer to
Mark Harrison
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the pick of the series so far. Someone has killed a nun and left another corpse with no face, hands or feet. Pathologist Isles has a series of difficult autopsies to piece the puzzle together whilst her cheating ex-husband unexpectedly shows up. Detective Rizzoli tries to piece what turns into a major investigation together but is distracted by the return of FBI beau Gabriel. Very clever story of corporate greed and corruption with nice red herrings to throw you off the scent and a good ...more
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
OMG YAAAS TESS GERRITSEN IS LIT.
WHAT A PERFECT END TO 2018!
Loved the plot and my favourite lady characters and their development and then also the gore and the thrill.
Brenda
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tess Gerritsen/thriller lovers
Shelves: own-read
When Dr Maura Isles was called to the chapel of Our Lady of Divine Light by Detective Jane Rizzoli, she wasn’t sure what to expect. But it certainly wasn’t the horrific, savage attack on two nuns, one of whom is dead, the other clinging to life. And medical examiner Maura was further shocked when doing the autopsy, to discover that the young novice, 20 year old Sister Camille, had very recently given birth.

The race is on to find the child, and to find the father...obviously he is a suspect! But
Gary
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This book was good but not great. The author went to great lengths to develop her characters, but there is a limit to how much you can accomplish in one novel. Granted, there is a payoff for this type of character development in later novels when the reader is attached to them. This novel has a great story that is forced into the background by the information dump of the personal lives of the characters.
Even the mystery itself seems to be created to develop the characters. I plan to continue
Siobhan
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third Rizzoli and Isles book and another brilliant read.

If you have read the first two Rizzoli and Isles books then you should know that Gerritsen knows how to weave a great story, keeping things interesting throughout, carrying the story on. In this book we get a deeper insight into the life of Isles – something that will please many people as she has been a bit of an enigma up until this book. Due to this there are, once again, the signs of Gerritsen’s past romance books to be found yet it
Iza Brekilien
I really liked it, but not as much as the first two books. It was written differently, not only from Jane's point of view, but also from Maura's. There were as much personal issues than actual police affair.

My problem was that it felt like a police novel written for women (maybe it is, after all ?), that is to say : with the label "romance inside". Not that I don't like romance, but there was too much romance : I didn't like Victor, didn't like that he did what he did and went away from it with
Paige  Bookdragon
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about ickyness.

The Sinner is the third book of the Rizzoli and Isles series so it would be better if you read the first two books before reading this one.

The Sinner is gruesome and I loved it. I only hope that Gerritsen would settle down a bit with all the medical terms in her book. It's a bit too much and if I wasn't hooked with the story, I would have given up with this one.

There are some things in this book that'll either make you raise your eyebrows or it'll make the hair at your neck
Marla
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
The more I get into this series the more I like it. This time someone has killed a couple nuns at an abbey and a faceless leper woman. How are they connected? Are they connected? And what happened in India? And why is Isles' ex-husband Victor in town? This book takes you on several twists and turns and I had no clue who the murderer was until the very end. Tess does a great job keeping you guessing and not making it obvious what has happened. I like that this one was more about Dr. Isles. I'm ...more
Autumn
I loved this book so much. It was a fast paced mystery, and I could not put it down. I loved this book because Rizzoli and Isles each had equal time in the book. I wish they were good friends like on the show, but in the books they are more like regular colleagues. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a wonderful mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat! 5 Big Fat Stars!
Nancy Brady
4.5 stars...this suspense-filled tale finds Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles working together to figure why two nuns in a cloistered convent were brutally beaten and killed. Added into this stress is the murder of a Jane Doe, and individual issues for each of the two main characters.

Putting it all together before anyone else is killed will push them to the edge especially as their own issues may play a part.

Having read these out of order does not affect the enjoyment of the novel.
Nida Kazi
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen made me cry, this book was amazing nonetheless. I was definitely not expecting the killer. On one page the person I thought to be the killer was entirely another person on turning the page. (different person)

Dr Isles reminds me of Dr Sara Linton but I love the latter more.
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd book in the Rizzoli and Isles by Tess Gerritsen.
I really love the chemistry between the two main characters since made into the television series which doesn't do the books justice.
Connie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book I have read this month by this author and I loved this one just like the last one. I have only watched a couple of the shows on TV, but I do believe they cast the actors properly. This had some religious aspects to it, so if you don't like reading about religion in a mystery, this might not be the book for you. In this case it was not a indoctrination, it was just had to do with the death of a couple of nuns and where they lived.

This is a non stop book and I wished I would
Jaksen
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, another somewhat gory Gerritsen mystery. (Though less-than-gory from her first two.)

Detective Jane Rizzoli's on the trail of a nun-killer - two nuns are beaten, one dies - in a cloistered convent. Their heads are bashed in; there's blood everywhere. It's all lovingly described.

There's a subplot involving Jane's relationship with an FBI agent. And Maura Isles, the ME, is more fully-fleshed out. (She also gets some background and a subplot.) It's a fascinating read, but I fear if I read too
Alba
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have googled this book, tried to download it ilegally or to find a copy of it at english bookstores in my country for a few years but without any luck. But I didnt give up. One amazing day I found it. Kudos to the internet pirates for uploading those pieces of heaven.
The book was amazing as I expected. I like the style of Tess Gerritsen and the fact she metions a lot of medical facts and relating them to cases. I idolize Maura and Jane. They are strong female characters and so inspiring.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 2 9 Jun 11, 2018 01:57PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 3 4 Jun 11, 2018 01:55PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 3 4 Jun 11, 2018 01:54PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 3 4 Jun 11, 2018 01:49PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 3 3 Jun 11, 2018 01:47PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 3 5 Jun 11, 2018 01:45PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 3 4 Jun 11, 2018 01:43PM

• Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7; Daniel Vartanian, #1)
  • All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Аркан вовків
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • 11:12 Pikova dama
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
“Only the forgotten are truly dead.” 240 likes