Start by marking “The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #25)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #25)

The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew #25)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  5,128 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
When Mrs. Putney seeks Nancy's help in recovering her stolen jewelry, the search for the thieves takes the girl detective and her friends, Bess and George, to an abandoned mansion in the River Heights vicinity known as Blackwood Hall and to the colorful French Quarter of New Orleans. When the quest is hampered by the strange behavior of Mrs. Putney and two young women who ...more
Hardcover, Original text, 216 pages
Published 1948 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Blackwood Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Blackwood Hall

Whitney
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
A bunch of local young women are entangled in a mail fraud scam that at first appeals to their better natures. The scam begs them for their hard-earned money to support a privately owned orphanage, even though the organization offers no proof of existing. Yet the girls donate through the recommended outlets: the girls are instructed to put their money into hollow trees in strategic locations in the local forest. Seems completely legit, right?

Oh, and also, these generous girls somehow also to get
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great Nancy Drew mystery with a hint of New Orleans seasoning.
Elisa
My absolute FAVORITE book for many years as a child! This book shaped my existence!
Jessaka
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A woman's husband dies, and she thinks that his ghost has come to visit her, and upon his request she buries her jewelry in the woods, just to have it replaced by fakes.

We get get a splash of New Orleans, séances, money scams, people walking around under hypnosis, and ab almost drowning in the river.
The book becomes much more entertaining when Nancy Drew and her friends hear chanting at an old abandoned house, Blackwood Hall, and begin investigating. Now they have ghosts to deal with along wit
Jenny Jest
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
To all those hardcore Nancy Drew fans (like me) this one is yet another thrilling adventure on Nancy's list. Bonus, if you're a fan of ghost or horror stories. The story has a dark and mysterious theme going around as Nancy smells something fishy at New Orleans and you can feel the intensity of this page-turner. The spooky aura of the story makes it even more exciting. Keene has done it again and this time,with a ghostly touch that the readers will definitely enjoy!
Mary Lou Hoffman
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
Analissa Blackwater
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read of the series and my favorite. It had it all-ghosts, secret passageways, New Orleans, séances. It would be a shame if the time setting of these books is so alien to the young readers of today, but if they give it a chance, I think they can fall in love with the series just like I did in my youth. Yes, I admit, I reread a couple of them as an adult.
Kay
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it

Wholesome with a capital W! Despite the dated language and somewhat outlandish premise of these books, I love the Nancy Drew series that I read and reread as a young girl. Also, this is a girl with smarts, spunk and courage. Think Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz with a convertible.
Kevin Lucia
Apr 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-read
Yes. Yes I AM reading this for a future YA edition of Horror 101..
Clare
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Darinda
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew helps solve a mystery for an older woman about her jewelry. Also, Nancy and her friends travel to New Orleans. A fun and entertaining mystery.
Kathryn
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book. I love all Nancy drew mysteries. I'm studying this one for ideas for a Nancy drew mystery party.
Gabrielle
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite Nancy Drew
 R♥ A♥ I♥ N♥ B♥ O♥ W♥ Z!
You should never read this before you go to bed! I did and i was too afraid to even go the bathroom! ahhhh...ghosty!
Paige
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved these books as a kid!
Lyssa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story seemed extra flimsy, with hypnotizing people and performing fake seances.

The majority of people were almost stubbornly gullible. And I'm surprised that after 25 books, Nancy does not carry any kind of protection on her. Did they not have pepper spray back then? I know they had swiss army knives. I'm glad the stories aren't overtly violent, but they could be smarter, our heroine more savvy and better prepared.

On a side note, it's interesting to catch a glimpse of how things used to be.
Thomas Santomartino
I read these for relaxation and for nostalgia. They are pleasant reads with interesting characters, perfect for some stress free reading at bedtime. This was one of the better Nancy Drew mysteries over the last few volumes. Nancy finds herself trying to save a widow from herself as she is under the influence of false mediums pretending to give her instructions from her deceased husband to steal her money. Nancy discovers that not only is the widow effected but a number of young women in River He ...more
Melissa
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I have a little sister who is 6. I've been collecting books that made a big impact on me for her. Nancy Drew was one of those series that I gobbled up when I was in elementary school. Reading it now, is very nostalgic. I can see why I liked it when I was younger, but also identify a million ways it could be better as an adult. Obviously if you have a young woman who likes mysteries- I would totally tell you to buy her one or in my case several if you found them for next to nothing at the goodwil ...more
Sherri
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Nancy Drew book I ever read as a 9-year-old child. I remember thinking it was very spooky. Now, re-reading it more than 30 years later, I can't say that I still find it to be spooky, but I was captivated by the complicated scam that was being run against many unsuspecting individuals who thought they were speaking to the ghosts of their loved ones!
Bobby Shupe
Interesting storyline.
Dawn Adams
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
cameo as reward

hannah went places with or looking for nancy
Hannah
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
*2.5
Jane Wetzel
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Love my Nancy Drew books. The books we girls share with our very best friends, decades ago and now.
Carol
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, amazing, mystery
It was one of the best Nancy's Drew that I've read in a while. I finished it real quick
Christine Arvinth
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancy-drew
This was the only book were Nancy knew who the person behind the whole sinister program was at the start of the book.But this book is good.
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Ghost of Blackwood Hall is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 25th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew's search for jewel thieves takes her to New Orleans and a deserted old mansion. She outwits a ghost and helps capture a group of racketeers.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (a
Jill
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I just finished this book as part of an invitation to attend a Nancy Drew themed birthday celebration for a friend of mine. What a fantastic idea! My friend delivered beautiful invitations to each of us, accompanied by a Nancy Drew novel (from her own personal collection!). We are getting together to celebrate her birthday and discuss Nancy Drew's place in literary history. Since it has been "quite a few years" (ie. 40!) since this group of women have all read their last Nancy Drew novels, this ...more
Lisa
Mar 24, 2011 added it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Nancy is at home one day petting her dog, Togo, when a jeweler friend of hers pulls up and asks for Nancy’s help with a mystery. A client of his has had precious jewels stolen from her, but refuses to tell the details to anyone. However, since she was warned not to tell any man or woman, Mrs. Putney was convinced by the jeweler that it’s okay to talk to a girl detective.

You see, Mrs. Putney was convinced by the ghost of her dead husband to take her jewels and bury them in a clearing in the fore
thewestchestarian
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew and the lost art of skepticism. In this time of widespread credulity and the importance people now put on believing things, there is an interest in looking back with Nancy at a time when people were skeptical. Or maybe just Nancy in her mystery stories accepted the fact that ghosts and mediums existed only as scams used to deduct dollars from those who were not dubious. This Drew story finds Nancy debunking a ring of supposed mediums who have put some duped woman on a long-term paymen ...more
Angelina
Oct 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any young girl, anywhere...
Recommended to Angelina by: Found it at the Library...
Shelves: junior-read
Okay, I choose three stars because I loved this book as a child, yet recognize now, in re-reading it, that it isn't exactly written as well as books I would highly recommend... Read it recently, because of my daughter, so when I saw it on the site (as I joined) I was simply so excited to see a book I had just read, I couldn't resist adding it to my "read" list! =)
*Apparently they don't allow many words in the "Who recommended this book to me" section... So, I've added it below...*

Um, it was on
  • The Melted Coins (Hardy Boys, #23)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden, #30)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“from her purse. “We have to follow that car!” “But not too close,” Nancy replied. “We’d make them suspicious.” The girls waited three minutes before backing out into the main highway and then turning into the adjacent road. Though the automobile ahead had disappeared, tire prints were plainly visible. The road twisted through a stretch of wood-land. When finally the tire prints turned off into a heavily wooded narrow lane, Nancy was sure they were not far from the cabin. She parked among some trees and they went forward on foot. “There it is!” whispered Nancy, recognizing the chimney. “Bess, I want you to take my car, drive to River Heights, and look up the name of the owner of the car we just saw. Here’s the license number. “After you’ve been to the Motor Vehicle Bureau, please phone Mrs. Putney’s house. If she answers, we’ll know it wasn’t she we saw in the car. Then get hold of Dad or Ned, and bring one of them here as fast as you can. We may need help. Got it straight?” “I—I—g-guess so,” Bess answered. “Hurry back! No telling what may happen while you’re away.” The two watched as Nancy’s car rounded a bend and was lost to view. Then Nancy and George walked swiftly through the woods toward the cabin. Approaching the building, Nancy and George were amazed to find that no car was parked on the road in front. “How do you figure it?” George whispered as the girls crouched behind bushes. “We certainly saw tire marks leading into this road!” “Yes, but the car that passed may have gone on without stopping. Possibly the driver saw us and changed her plans. Wait here, and watch the cabin while I check the tire marks out at the” 1 likes