Start by marking “Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me” as Want to Read:
Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me

Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  316 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Poet, writer, performer, teacher, and director Maya Angelou was raised in Stamps, Arkansas, and then moved to San Francisco. In addition to her bestselling autobiographies, beginning with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, she has also written a cookbook, Hallelujah! The Welcome Table; five poetry collections, including I Shall Not Be Moved and Shaker, Why Don’t You Sing?; a ...more
Published January 21st 2009 by Random House (first published April 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother

Candice
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I was looking for books to put in the library's Mother's Day display and I picked up this one. It's very short - a quick read - but also very beautiful. Words that I cannot find pour from Maya Angelou's pen as a tribute to mothers.

"Mother,
During those early, dearest days
I did not dream that you had
A large life which included me,
For I had a life
Which was only you."
Josh
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel kind of silly for having read this book. First off, I wanted to read it because I am unfamiliar with Angelou and thought any book would be a good place to start, but I should have taken the hint from the title that it is a book for moms on Mother's Day. Equally silly is the fact that I bought it for $2.00 when it only took me three minutes to read.
Anyway, it's a good book for a mom if you have the kind of mom who cries tears of love after reading how perfectly someone else has expressed t
Yaaresse
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Our library site didn't have a description to tell me anything different, only the publisher blurb about who Angelou was. So, based on no information, I thought this would be a collection of Angelou's final poems, something along the lines of "A Brave and Startling Truth" or "On the Pulse of Morning."

It turns out to be only one poem--or maybe it's several really short ones, hard to tell. It's a rather saccharine one that would not be out of place on a Mother's Day Hallmark display.

Not anything
Katrinia17
This by far is not one of my favorite poems by Maya Angelou. I would say, "Average" suits it. On top of that, this is more of a gift book. A lot of cream colored pages that are blank. Print on one side and not the other. 9.95 for the book of 9 pages of poetry.

And if I remember correctly...This poem was in her collected pieces.

Don't buy unless you are buying as a gift on mothers day.
Lorelai Berry
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not one of my favorites from her. It was more of a greeting card than a book, and it was kind of disappointing. Maya Angelou is still one of my favorite authors of all time, but I would definitely start with a different one if you are trying to experience Angelou for the first time.
Ann Keller
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Lovely sentiment, spoken with the knowledge of a woman as she grows from child, through the teenage years to being an adult.
Parthiban Sekar
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Another Master Piece from Maya!!
Heidi
It's kind of laughable that I'm adding this to my list of books read because it's so tiny, but I wanted to read more poetry this year and here's how I'm going to start.
Amy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If she's writing honestly, this is quite a potent reconciliation.
Leslie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, poetry, 2017
Short, sweet, warmed my heart as a mom. Not sure if it should count as one of my books this year though - it was less than 10 pages long!
Ekaterina
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-and-prose
I read this book with my Mom, and it was really beautiful. Maya Angelou writes about the relationship of a child with their mother starting from infancy through teenage years to adulthood. When we got to the teenage part "During the years when you knew nothing/And I knew everything, I loved you still", my mom and I burst into laughter because this is so true. :-)
This is a perfect book for Mother's Day.
Mary Markis
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Descriptions of what a mother is to her daughter, perhaps my favorite description is in the title itself "Mother: A Cradle to Hold Me:...this book left me longing to be a baby, held against my mother in all that is safe and unconditional love, without the complexities and disillusions that adulthood allows to creep in. I ache for the age of innocence and naiveness, I ache for the state of simple satisfaction. Perhaps, I simply just ache for my mother. :)
Alexander331
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was looking for misplaced books in the library I work at and saw this little book. Even though it's very simple and short, it reminded me of my own Mother, and my past self, who never seemed to respect my Mother. When I read that short book, all past memories of my life with my Mother came flying in. This little book surprised me, I suggest if you have time to read it for yourself.
Connie Clay
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by my dear son, and it is so loving in its words, and every time I read it, I imagine him reading it in the book store, thinking of me, and I cry. My favorite part, is this...
In your absence
I rehearsed you,
the way you had of singing
On a breeze,
While a sob lay
At the root of your song. -Maya Angelou

<3 Thank you, Son.
Jennifer Vensel
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mothers are so often ignored and taken for granted all the very deep and amazing things they do. Maya Angelou has wonderfully dug deep within herself to think about the interesting push and pull of the mother psyche and presence in a child's life. This poem book is a very nice homage to her mother.
Samantha Van Prooyen
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own, 2015
My sister gave this to my mom for Valentine's Day so I picked it up and next thing I know, I've finished. I'm not a huge fan of poetry but this said all the things we want to tell our mothers but don't know how to.
Colleen Simpson
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tender but true. Soft but strong. Loved how she described with grace and love and honesty her mom's comings and going. A ying and yang for both mother and daughter.

Read the bio....says Maya was born in AK but moved to San Fran. She all the great ones wind up in CA!!
Pamela Strickland
poignant, just as I expected
Arlo
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
One short poem in book form meant to be given to your mother on Mother's Day.
Mayda
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A bit sentimental for my tastes, but I'm sure moving to others.
Jaclyn H
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Maya Angelou! This is a great tribute to her mother and every mother. It's a very quick read, only a few pages long.
Cathy
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book holds short poems about mothers. I enjoyed it and often reflect on them from time to time. I love everything she touches.
Robin Chalk
A nice poem.
Sherry
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweetly written poem for her Mother - first I've read by Maya Angelou - and understand why she is a great writer for our time. I will be reading other works by her.
Amanda Sachs
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2014
Beautiful
Janice Woods mcknight
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angelou
I think this piece of art is a beautiful tribute to Dr. Angelou's mother and all mothers alike.
Mandi Murphy
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautiful!
Jaywan Evans
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maya Angelou gives a heart warming summation of motherhood with an emphasis on the bond between mother and child. It's a quick read and a classic ode to mothers everywhere.
 Barb Bailey
I love Angelous' work. A short lovely read.
winda
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This book only contain one poem.
Indeed its beautiful poem but I want moreee poems
BEP090P2: Poem 4 8 Dec 13, 2014 01:49PM
  • Something to Someone
  • Itty-Bitty Nursery: Sweet, Adorable Knits for the Baby and Beyond
  • Sleep Is for the Weak: The Best of the Mommybloggers Including Amalah, Finslippy, Fussy, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Mom-101, and More! (BlogHer Books)
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
  • Locked Rooms Open Doors: Diaries And Letters Of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1933-1935
  • Haiku for the Single Girl
  • Conversations with Maya Angelou
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • Children's Letters to God: The New Collection
  • Heartsongs
  • Pregnancy Day By Day
  • Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science (and What I've Learned So Far)
  • Small Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life
  • The Promise: A Christmas Tale
  • Ghost Ship (Paula Wiseman Books)
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969) which was ...more
More about Maya Angelou...