Start by marking “Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)” as Want to Read:
Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)

Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen #7)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  20,088 Ratings  ·  536 Reviews
All is not well in the Letherii Empire. Rhulad Sengar, the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths, spirals into madness, surrounded by sycophants and agents of his Machiavellian chancellor. Meanwhile, the Letherii secret police conduct a campaign of terror against their own people. The Errant, once a farseeing god, is suddenly blind to the future. Conspiracies seethe throughout the ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Tor Books (first published May 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper's Gale, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

TS Chan
4.5 stars.

I will not be the first to extoll the astounding breadth and depth of the Malazan world with its extensive history, a multitude of races, richly diverse cultures and a huge cast of characters. I may also not be the first to admit how lost I sometimes feel, wandering through this labyrinth of intricate worldbuilding.

One of the best aspects of this volume in the Book of the Fallen, however, is the continuous storyline from The Bonehunters. For once, there was no whiplash from the sudden
Jody
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now up!

Warning: Minor spoilers from earlier books in the series!

I have been reading this series for a while now. Right at 5 months to be exact. And I find myself taking more and more time in between each book. Whether to reflect on what I have read or just needing a break I’m not quite sure. These books are huge and contain more information in one volume that some do in an entire series.

Reapers Gale was the largest book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen I have yet to read. After 3
Gavin
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was another excellent edition in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It probably failed to hit the heights of the very best Malazan books I've read but I'd still rate it above Deadhouse Gates in terms of overall quality.

I loved the fact that we returned to the continent of Letheras for this story. I was a massive fan of the fourth book and its characters so it was great to return there to witness the aftermath of the Edur occupation of Letheras. The Edur and Letharii cultur
Ivan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It started slow and bit underwhelming but book becomes exponentially better as it progresses culminating in one of the best finales in Malazan books. Full review potentially to come when I settle my impressions and recover from those final chapters.
Markus
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, malazan, 2017
Well, this took me longer than any other book in the Malazan series. Possibly longer than any book I've read during the last few years. But I prevailed in the end.

Full review to come.
Michael Britt
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not crying, you're crying.

This has, by far, the saddest death scenes yet. The deaths themselves weren't that sad, but Erikson makes them heartbreaking. There's no way to really go into more depth without huge spoilers.

As far as the story goes, Erikson hits it out of the park, yet again. Our cast is most of the people we've already met: we have some Malazans, the Bonehunters, Letherii (which I hate with a passion, save Tehol) and the Edur. We also get to meet Silchas Ruin, Anomander Rake's
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I apologise if this is not the most polished of reviews. I have to be honest, I am still speechless from what happened in the last quarter of this book.

To begin - most of my favourite characters from the books thus far were featured here. It brings two story arcs together. The relationship of the Edur/ Letherii in Letheras and the surrounding areas and also the Bone-hunters.

A lot of new characters are introduced (again! - how large can this cast get?* see the end of review). Some very memorable
Conor
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: malazan
4.5 Stars.

This one is incredibly hard to rate. The middle 1/3 or so dragged as much as any Malazan book (and these books drag in places) since book 1.While some of the plot threads were still interesting, if somewhat slow-paced (the Malazan soldier's) some were pretty much dead in the water with seemingly nothing happening but a load of depressing philosphising (The quest to find Scabandari Blood-eye). However the final quarter brought pretty much every previously dull and stagnant plot-threa
David Sven
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
Initial Read

Another solid entry in the Malazan Series. In this 7th book we have a convergence of story arcs started in "Midnight Tides" as well as "The Bonehunters" and throw in a couple more that nobody really cares about and adds a couple hundred unnecessary pages and you have another epic adventure with its unique brand that is The Malazan Series.

So here we have the rebel Bonehunters having escaped from Malaz appointing themselves as the avengers of the Edur/Letherii atrocities committed on
Amanda
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-2017
😢😣😭😭😭
Scott  Hitchcock
So you’ve finished the 6th installment the Bonehunters and you’re thinking here we go a clash of worlds. Malazan vs Letherii, Rhulad vs Karsa vs Icarium steel cage death match, Quick Ben vs Shadowthorne……..NOPE. Dear reader did you actually think we would pick up anywhere else but in the midst of a hundred new characters and storylines? Foolish mortals.

The start was like the first book of House of Chains or the start of Midnight Tides. Thankfully a lot of characters like Karsa, Silchas Ruin and
Jenna Kathleen
I now understand why fans call it Weeper's Gale.

Like MT, the Letherii storyline took me longer to get into than some of the other Malazan books. In RG, Erikson has undertaken more storylines with more characters while at the same time trying to close off some stories. I wasn't sure he could bring it all together at the end, but by now, I should expect nothing but greatness from him.

I would have to say that my favourite storylines in RG were the ones that got the least amount of pages. I didn't d
Emma
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For me, this is the first of the series that starts to close the circle. There are endings within these pages that are devastating, some that bring a tearful smile, and some that bring a joyful 'yeah, you got yours'... Of course, being Erikson, that doesn't mean there aren't new characters and new questions; he has a deep and abiding dislike of simplicity. Save a few spellbinding moments, it's not a book that is in the running for the top spot, but it serves well to signal the beginning
Chris Berko
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadhouse Gates used to be my favorite, until I read Memories of Ice. The last two-hundred pages of Midnight Tides convinced me it deserved the top spot. But then Bonehunters stole it with the way everything takes off and alas, this masterpiece. I'm not saying anything remotely new here but these books keep getting better. It's just a tremendously entertaining series that doesn't insult my grey matter and rewards the effort required to read.
Jason
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2017
5 Stars

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson is the seventh book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series and it is a lot...more. This is the best and worst book in the series so far! Reaper's Gale would be a pinnacle of the epic fantasy genre if it underwent at least some editing. Being book number seven, I knew and expected to have far too many characters and points of view to really know what was going on. I made a mistake in deciding that I was going to dive into this monster and attempt to read
Dara
When I first started Reaper's Gale, I was apprehensive. I knew a few people who said it wasn't that good compared with the rest of the series and they really struggled with it. I knew it picked up from Midnight Tides, my least favorite of the series so far. I ended up loving Reaper's Gale. Perhaps part of that is understanding how things work on Lether, being familiar with the characters, and how the storylines begin to converge with characters from Seven Cities.

This book weaves together storyli
Rob
Executive Summary: After what has to be my favorite of the series The Bonehunters, this one is a big letdown. Too many new characters really bog the story down for far too long, but it ends strong enough to save it from being a bad book.

Full Review
This book seems to take everything about Midnight Tides and ramp it up. Unlike that book however, I didn't find myself confused and frustrated at the beginning. I was simply uninterested. So unlike Midnight Tides where I enjoyed the story once I got
Traci
Done. Finally. This one took me awhile. I learned a few things with this book. Number one, I didn't have the stamina for a marathon Malazan reading. I think I sprained something in my brain in the attempt. I also learned that while Steven Erikson is a master of writing tragedy I don't care for his over the top humor. With a few exceptions, I do love Tehol and Bugg. And that hidden beneath this dark tale hides the heart of a romantic. And an author who can write male friendships like no one else ...more
Jonathan
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can see that the overarching story might add up to a wonderful jigsaw, but Erikson is a demented pounder of the keyboard, someone needs to edit him savagely, take away his computer and make him write longhand. He has long since lost control of his creation. As Stalin may have said 'Quantity has a Quality all of its own', it pounds your mind into numbed submission as you trudge towards the slopes of Mount Doom, bearing the ring of steadily reducing expectations.

After 500 pages of this the 7th M
Twerking To Beethoven
With every installment of this series, I become more and more impressed.

Erikson writes epic fantasy on a level all his own. The world is massive and engaging. It is at once believable and yet otherworldly, creating a fusion of worlds that leaves your jaw hanging. I am amazed at how well he writes the characters and holds such a complex and huge story together, with each book at least 900-1000 pages.

In "Reaper's Gale" we finally see the two worlds, the Malazan and the Letherii, finally begin to
Mike
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epics, reviewed
With Reaper's Gale we have the convergence of the plot lines from Midnight Tides (probably my favorite one so far) and The Bonehunters. As I stated in my Bonehunters review, I thought it was mostly a book about getting pieces into a place, and boy did those movements pay off. We get a clash of the now Edur dominated (or is it!?!?!?!) Letherii Empire and the rag tag army of the Bonehunters. On top of that we still have Tehol Benedict and his loyal manservant Bugg running about committing a brilli ...more
Tammy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're back to Lether.
Reaper's Gale had sooo much going on, with arguably the most plot lines in a single book so far, it would have been a disaster if Erikson couldn't weave all these back together and deliver a convincing end. BUT HE DID, making this one of the best books i've ever read plot wise.
I also believe this is the darkest book so far, I mean some nasty, gritty sh*t goes down here.
STILL, it was able to produce so many emotional moments, giving you a nostalgic taste of what you felt in b
Geoff
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, canadian
Another really good entry into the Malazan series. There's a lot of good stuff going on in this book. The impending champion duels and the political situation in Letheras are standout plotlines. And once the Malazans show up on the continent the pace of the story really picks up. Even the group searching for a long lost soul has some interesting parts. The Awl vs Lether war seems a little out of place but maybe there is more going on there than I realize.

I think there a lot of great characters
Carmine
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il potere distrugge sempre se stesso

E come potremmo mai sopravvivere in una stramaledetta terra dilaniata da un folle imperatore che continua a morire nel corpo e nella mente, mentre dall'altra parte l'imperscrutabile guerriero dalla rossa maschera, inarrestabile nella sua avanzata, promette il ritorno di un passato così spaventoso da atterrire anche lui stesso?
L'Unico Dio è riemerso dalle macerie, il sangue degli innocenti sulle sue mani e la spasmodica attesa di una giustizia sempre più lont
Evgeny
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book returns to events in Midnight Tides, namely conquest of Lethery Empire by Tiste Edur. Nobody (including the conquerors) is particularly happy about the results. On the top of this are the Bonehunters led by Adjunct Tavore with the mission of toppling of the current Empire. The combination of all of these leads to (supposedly) explosive conclusion.

This is probably the first book where I am still not sure about the rating. It is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, so let us say 3.5 with 0.5
Scott
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Brutal doesn't even begin to describe this novel. Some parts, especially dealing with the secret police of Lether, were nauseating and showed just the worst traits humans have to offer.

And then, of course, in contrast you have the friendship between Onrack and Trull and the camaraderie of the Malazan marines that I so love to read about

I was well and truly sucked into this book from the very beginning and stayed that way throughout. I never had that typical Malazan lull at the beginning.

Duffy Pratt
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, shared-world
05/21/12 - We've passed the point in the series where it makes much sense to be reviewing individual books. On its own, this book probably doesn't hold up too well. In some ways, the structure did not feel as tight as some others. But that may just be because Erikson seems to rely less on big set pieces here than he has in other books. And once again, this book features almost everything I like and dislike about Erikson. There's still great humor, a fine sense of tragedy, great characters, and m ...more
JDR
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Man, Reaper's Gale might easily be my least favorite entry in the whole series. For reference, I finished the Bonehunters in August. So it's taken me three months to finish another entry in the malazan series and when I began Reaper's Gale (for a second time), it took me a whole month where 2/3rds of the book was read in 48 hours because I was on vacation and the need to get this book out of my life was at peak.

To begin, what did I like about this book?

1. The Bonehunters . With any book, a mala
Kris
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book seven of the Malazan series brings several plot lines together that have been moving along separately for 3 or 4 books. This book really pushed me to remember some of the various secondary characters that Erickson uses so liberally in this series. I think he really is hitting his stride as a writer in this series as there were numerous occasions that elicited some genuine emotion as the characters were facing the myriad challenges that the author throws in to their path. The pacing at times ...more
Kaitlin
This is my one of least favourite of all the Malazan books thus far unfortunately and that's possibly due to my own failings as a complex reader. This book is where the Malazan and Letherii cultures finally meet, resulting in some big epic scenes, some brutal moments, and some very sad sacrifices indeed. I found that this book probably had some of the most moving moments, yet actually they're a bit few and far between and it also had a lot of dull moments which I didn't particularly care for.

I w
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Reaper's Gale [February 2018] 34 50 Nov 02, 2017 08:47PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Three - No Spoilers 23 112 May 10, 2017 03:40PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Two - No Spoilers 17 111 May 09, 2017 04:09PM
The Malazan Fallen: * RG - End of Book Discussion 30 120 Oct 15, 2016 02:35AM
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9)
  • The Judging Eye (Aspect-Emperor, #1)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...

Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)
  • Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Toll the Hounds (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Dust of Dreams (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Crippled God (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
“I am here to arrest your manservant. The one named Bugg.’
‘Oh, now really, his cooking isn’t that bad.”
35 likes
“No-one chooses me. I do not give anyone that right. I am Karsa Orlong of the Teblor. All choices belong to me.” 22 likes