Start by marking “Mad Men: the Illustrated World” as Want to Read:
Mad Men: the Illustrated World

Mad Men: the Illustrated World

As swingin' as the 1960s-an officially licensed tie-in to the wildly popular hit television series Mad Men

By turns fun, sophisticated, and celebratory, this is an eye-popping and inventive companion to the hit show Mad Men, as well as a salute to the era of cocktails and Camelot. Inspired by the artistic styles that defined 1960s advertising, Dyna Moe creates a
Published October 6th 2010 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about Mad Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Men

Start your review of Mad Men: the Illustrated World
David
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: Montambeau
Shelves: low-calorie
As a man not generally prone to elation or other humiliating ecstasies, I nevertheless admit that I was elated and momentarily even giddy when I received Mad Men: The Illustrated World from my good bud Montambeau for mein Geburtstag. (Side note: There are still a lot of presents from a lot of Goodreaders currently at-large. I'll assume they were tied up with the rigamarole involving those printer cartridges shipped from Yemen. But don't worry... I will be checking the postmark dates when they ...more
Ray
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me tell y'all something: I found this book on a shelved section in my public library for sale for 25 cents (You can either pay 25 cents per book or $1 for five books) and this was one of the best books I've ever bought for my collection. Man Men addicts (myself included) will adore the hilarious content and plot line drops while being mesmerized by the illustrations that explores more in depth the environment of the entire 60's ad men lifestyle. I can't wait to make myself a perfect ...more
Heather McC
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Dyna Moe's artwork is fantastic, and her book features some of her best pieces. With fun quips and games included, there's something for any 'Mad Men' fan, big or small.
Sarah Beth
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is an official companion book to the hit television series and is beautifully illustrated in the artistic style of the 1960s advertising featured in the show. This book features brief essays on multiple topics including tongue-in-cheek references to the show, the history behind aspects of the time period (such as the layout of the office space itself), recipes for drinks and meals of the period, behind the scene essays written by characters from the show, and beautiful paper doll ...more
Themistocles
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of tidbits and trivia on the sixties, with very nice illustrations and a good sense of humor. Not directly connected to Mad Men but still an enjoyable read.
Chad Malkamaki
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quirky, fun book, by illustrator Dyna Moe, who had a great feature on one of the Mad Men DVDs--can't remember which season. She also, has a great eye for graphic design, follow her on Instagram, and this book uses her great illustrations she started to make for season 2 and then was picked up by AMC for the Mad Men Yourself image generator. Before I watched that featurette I and my then many friends on FB used the generator.

This is deep, serious, but a fun read for any Mad Men fan--with Dyna
Seymour Glass
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great fun. You need to have seen the series to get a lot of the in-jokes but I doubt you'd be buying this unless you'd seen it.

"Activities for Children - Huckleberry Ghost!: A plastic mask of a beloved cartoon character becomes a quiet commentary on the observed and the observer. Junior walks silently through your home, face obscured. It's like you're in a Bergman film!"
Bonnie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbr9
I bought this book back when Mad Men's heyday was new. I thoroughly enjoyed the sly humor and informative pieces. A must for fans of the show.
Nanci
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joyful
Sam Still Reading
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: serious Mad Men fans who have nothing to read
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: like the TV series
Mad Men: The Illustrated World is an official book based on the international hit TV series (which screens on SBS in Australia and some channel on pay TV. I obviously do not have pay TV otherwise Id know more!). As the title suggests, its illustrated by Moe herself (very cool name, by the way).

The characters of Mad Men are instantly recognisable in their illustrations from Don to Betty to Roger and Joan. They capture that kitsch 60s feel.
The written content I feel is a bit of a let down. Its a
Regina
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mad Men Fans, 50's-60's Aficionados
For the Mad Men fan who wants to get fully immersed. This graphic novella has plenty of tongue-in-cheek references to the absurdities of the mid-century America, as well as dozens of references to the television episodes we all love. The illustrations themselves were done by Dyna Moe, the graphic artist who gained fame by providing weekly graphic themes of the shows and who is responsible for the "Mad Men Yourself" game found on AMC.com.

Packed within the humor and great pictures are actual
Lynn
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-books
Nice little guide to the life of Mad Men in the1960s. The author Dyna Moe began drawing characters from the Mad Men series and putting them on the Internet during the 2nd season. They became such a sensation she was invited to create this companion piece book. The book not only contains her drawings but tidbits from the series, the lives of characters and information about the 60s as well. Fashion takes center stage. Hair dos are important and a guide for the traveling mad man is amusing. It ...more
Colleen
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010, mad-men
If you loved Dyna Moe's illustrations on Flickr or the Mad Men yourself application you will adore this book.

It includes steps on dealing with the accidental Foot Amputation, Sally's drink recipes, an illustrated guide to what your secretary's hair says about her (Example: 'I only have sexual fantasies about my husband and my pastor') and how to create the perfect bouffant.

There are also some gorgeous paper doll illustrations of Joan and her costumes.

I love this book.
L.A. Jacob
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
What a fun book. Some of these things I remember hearing about in my childhood (I was a generation too late). None of the sex was ever brought out - very Victorian upbringing. I never made drinks but I did used to go get my parents' cigarettes. It was only $2 - I would not have payed the original $15.
Mark
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-possessions
Dyna Moe is an illustrator and a comedienne. She makes video shorts of minor renown. In 2008, she became internet famous for drawing a scene every week of Mad Men's second season. She illustrated the very popular avatar maker Mad Men Yourself for AMC in a similar style. You probably already knew that. She lives in New York City. This is her first book.
Hal
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Because I have found myself addicted to the series I am reading about any material that comes out on it. This offer had me scratching my head a bit. The author Dyna Moe who is a comedian and illustrator offers attempts at humor on various topics that the episodes presented. I chuckled at a few, few and far between. Illustrations were pretty good though.
Amanda
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a "Mad Men" and 60s fan I loved this book!!! The drawlings of the characters were fantastic and Dyna's hints to the show were hilarious!!! It also has really great info on the 1960s and learning things about that decade and the real people referenced to in the show. Plus, the stories from Rich Sommer (Harry) and Bryan Batt (Sal) are great!!! This is a great book for any "Mad Men" fan!!!
Sadie
A fun book with really cool illustrations. Offers little bits and pieces of lifestyle of the 60s, including cocktail recipes and instructions on how to fix those really huge hairdos. Nice coffee table book for every fan on the "Mad Men" universe.
Maggie
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is my new favorite thing ever. I love the art style and the text is clever and funny. It's slyly referential to Mad Men, but if you'd never seen it before, you'd still enjoy its tongue-in-cheek look at the 60s.
Marisa
Wonderfully illustrated and hilariously written, complete with how-to tips for faking a knowledge of midcentury literature. Where was this when I needed to sound impressively well-read? A necessary read for any dry-witted fan of Mad Men.
Lovely Rita
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Ape
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this but I think it's going to have a limited market, as you've really got to love the Mad Men tv series to get anything out of this. It's like an illustrated Mad Men magazine, with a few very short articles, recipies, cocktail recipes, pictures, even paper doll Joans.
Kara

A funny summary of the people, events, background and culture of the Mad Men world. I thought there would be a little more history - but it was still a good sum up of the show in a humorous, cartoon style.
Erin Tuzuner
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, film-tv, biofic
A fun, visual feast for fans of the show. Or fans of mid century modern culture and modern design.
Azur
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
A nice pastime for Mad Men fans. This book could also be called "How to live in a Mad Men world". It contains many tounge-in-cheek tutorials and interesting trivia about the 60's.
Zahreen
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Helped me deal with my withdrawal, since the show won't be back on until next year. :(
William
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Light, cute, no substance. Just like the other Mad Men books.
Michelle
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Insanely awesome for fan(atics) of the show!
Shelley
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: media
I love the pictures and there was fun stuff - some interviews, recipes, drinks, etc. The Joan paper dolls at the back are the best, but this is a library book, so no playing. Woe.
Stephanie Graves
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: television, tie-ins
I'm especially grateful to now be equipped for any lawnmower-related foot amputations that might occur at the office!

• Atlas of Improbable Places: A Journey to the World's Most Unusual Corners
  • The First Forty-Nine Stories
  • The Lottery
  • Brighton Rock
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • A Scanner Darkly
  • One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
  • A Practical Wedding Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating the Wedding You Want with the Budget You've Got (without Losing Your Mind in the Process)
  • The Art of the Pre-Raphaelites
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
  • The Homer Book (The Simpsons Library of Wisdom)
  • Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga
  • How to Lose a Marathon: A Starter's Guide to Finishing in 26.2 Chapters
  • A Study in Emerald
  • A Veil Removed (Henrietta and Inspector Howard, #4)
  • Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3
  • X'ed Out

News & Interviews

“Sometimes your gallop just isn't what it used to be. And neither is your horsemanship.” 2 likes