Start by marking “The Case of the Puzzling Possum (High-Rise Private Eyes, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Puzzling Possum (High-Rise Private Eyes, #3)

The Case of the Puzzling Possum (The High-Rise Private Eyes #3)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Beat Goes On

One day, the trombone is missing from Mr. Riley's music store. The next day, it's back. Then it's gone again. Who could be taking it -- and why?

This sounds like a case for the High-Rise Private Eyes -- Bunny Brown and Jack Jones, ace detectives and very best friends!
Published January 8th 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Puzzling Possum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Puzzling Possum

Fen Gamp
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
the case of the puzzling possum is a fun and interesting read. A nice little mystery for young children to solve. I like the illustrations.
Logan Williams
Personal Reaction:
Being a series book, these books are not very good works of literature, but I could visualize younger children loving this book mainly because of the humor within the book. The sentences are very short and there is about a paragraph on each page so a younger child will be able to read it on their own or with a minor help from a parent or teacher. The story was funny and would most definitely entertain a younger student.

Purpose/Use in Classroom:
This book would be a great book to
Ruth Lyons
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
The book is about a stolen trombone and how it kept disappearing and rappearing. It was taken by a possum who was trying to support his family. The high-rise private eyes figured out who took it, where to find him and caught him in the act of returning it to the store.
The illustations serve as a addtion to the text and wrap around the text. The ilustrations are colorful but not so much that they distract from the story. The book would be good for first grade or even high level kindergarteners to
Ashley
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books
In this book Bunny Brown and Jack Jones, the detectives, work together to solve the mystery of the sometimes-missing trombone. Bunny and Jack need to find out why the trombone from Mr. Riley’s music store. Through their work together Bunny and Jack solve the mystery.

I liked this book, because it is a beginning chapter book that the students can read by themselves or it can be read as a class together. Students can also help each other to solve the mystery.
Questions- What do you think happened?
Wh
Dolly
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, mystery, 2009
Another fun mystery in the High-Rise Private Eyes series. This one has a country flair, "Yee-ha!" It's an odd story, with hot cocoa messes and hayrides and a music store owner that makes Jack dizzy and sick to his stomach. But our girls love these books and we look forward to reading more. We've also listened to this one read aloud on cassette tape and the character voices are great!
Rebekka
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-the-kids
This was a read-aloud selection for our Summer Reading Program, and despite being 48 pages long, I read it aloud to my boys in under 10 minutes. Many mysteries are too complex for very young readers, with many characters and clues to keep up with. We liked that this mystery kept things simple, with only a handful of characters. As a mother, I liked the ethical ending, where the culprit agrees to make up for his wrong-doing. We'd recommend this book for kids 3-7 years of age.
Karen Stanford
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clever detective story with a thief who borrows a trombone from a music store and returns it the next day. He does this several times and the store owner wants to know what is happening to his trombone. A great little who-done-it and a great way to teach children how to figure things out by seeing and following clues.
Tricia
Confronting the culprit is a little more harsh than in some of the other books, and the reasoning is not quite as transparent as it could be (to help kids follow along). But we enjoy the series, and this is no exception.
Sophie
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book at all! I thought it was short and boring. It was about an instrument that kept disappearing and reappearing. And I thought the characters weren't very interesting. I would not recommend this book!
Ellen
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Both my early reader and I are disappointed by this story line. It doesn't seem like a great lesson that a broke character "had to" take something without asking. It seems like a running theme in the first 3 books in this series, so this may be our last.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

The High-Rise Private Eyes (8 books)
  • The Case of the Missing Monkey (High-Rise Private Eyes, #1)
  • The Case of the Climbing Cat (High-Rise Private Eyes, #2)
  • The Case of the Troublesome Turtle (High-Rise Private Eyes, #4)
  • The Case of the Sleepy Sloth (High Rise Private Eyes, #5)
  • The Case of the Fidgety Fox (High-Rise Private Eyes, #6)
  • The Case of the Baffled Bear (High-Rise Private Eyes, #7)
  • The Case of the Desperate Duck (High-Rise Private Eyes, #8)