Start by marking “M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints” as Want to Read:
M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints

M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,268 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In the extraordinary world of M.C. Escher, time, space, and visual reality have been rearranged according to an ingenious logicsimultaneity of perspective is commonplace, space appears to be infinite, and positive and negative are interchangeable.

At first, Escher's work appealed to a rarefied group of mathematicians, who delighted in his logic and precision, and collectors
Published January 1st 2010 by Barnes & Noble (by arrangement with ABRAMS) (first published April 15th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about M.C. Escher, please sign up.
Juanita Dear Mugur,

Dear Mugur,

I bought your book on amazon and used it for a Math Camp. I truly like the idea but I found some mathematical inaccuracies. Some of the angles that you suggest in the constructions are incorrect. The reason why I know this is because the symmetries of wallpapers are well-known and classified, each design necessarily has to have one out of the 17 possible symmetries. This restricts the angles that can be used in the constructions.

I really liked the book and I would love to use it again either at a workshop or in a classroom setting. I was wondering if you could address the problem with the angles.

Best,
Juanita(less)

Petra X
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the second copy of this book I've bought, I gave the first one away to a friend who couldn't believe the trickery of Escher's sly imagination. I like Escher for the same reason I like Hieronymus Bosch: by the time you've worked out what's going on, your mood has lifted from any previous doom and gloom. Escher was sane and clever and Hieronymous Bosch a fevered, religious maniac and they share nothing in common, except in my mind.
Matt Jenkins
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book graces our bookshelf right beside Godel, Escher and Bach. One of my favorite books. We have two Escher pieces on the walls of the living room and when we have guests stand to admire them, I open up this book to their pages and let them take in the author's own description of them. Priceless.

Nathan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Escher's art very impressive. But then, come to find out they were actually wooden carvings, wood engravings, and lithographs... Wow!
Paul
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, art-of
29 Twenty-nine woodcuts and lithographs make use of optical illusions and unusual perspectives and are accompanied by the artist's comments.

Nearly everyone will have seen some of the work of Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1970). His woodcuts and lithographs are largely based in mathematics and geometry, and provide endless fascination. Many of the two dimensional images Escher created simply could not exist in the three dimenional world, yet on paper they LOOK entirely plausi
Joshua
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
A great collection of Escher's work, nicely complemented by notes from Escher and others. It is a wonderful presentation of the art and the ideas behind it, examining questions about how people perceive spaces, flatness, dimensions, and art in general, all with a hint toward some of the mathematical concepts behind it all. The later notes with the later pictures in the book also discuss how Escher's work also became popular with American pop music and the psychedelic art movement in the 60s.
Jeremiah
I absolutely love Escher's work; I think he was a veritable genius! My brothers surprised me last year when they brought me to a local Sacramento museum that had real work by Escher. I was floored! This book just has prints with no explanatory text, so it's not the perfect book if you like this artist's work but it's a start.
I'd give this five stars because of my bias but there are better books.
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: leisure
I found this book while browsing at my local Barnes & Nobles. It has some of Escher's most famous pieces, including "Waterfall" and "Drawing Hands". Each one is set by itself on a whole page and the facing page has Escher's own description of the piece.
Kurt Leigh
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visually appealing and I share the apprecication for his work. Whenever I am lacking inpiration, I find this a good place to be.
Ben
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful imagery and notes on Escher's work.
Erika Mulvenna
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I am a fan of Escher, although I look at his prints as more graphic art than fine art.
J Name
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, philosophy
Review coming soon.
Mckinley
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of his prints. Comments about them by artist too. Would be the Escher book to own.
Scott
May 25, 2017
Deedee Saffron-Chambliss
Apr 07, 2016
Fredo Santana
rated it did not like it
May 29, 2014

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99