Start by marking “Dunkle Magie (Hex Hall, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dunkle Magie (Hex Hall, #2)

Dunkle Magie

(Hex Hall #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  84,690 ratings  ·  4,725 reviews
Nachdem Sophie endlich die Wahrheit über ihre Herkunft erfahren hat, reist sie nach London, um sich mit ihrem Vater zu treffen. In England kommen erstaunliche Dinge über die Gründe für Alice’ Verwandlung in eine Dämonin ans Tageslicht. Außerdem trifft Sophie eine Gruppe Halbdämonen, die ihre Kräfte dazu benutzen, um gegen das Böse zu kämpfen. Sophie hegt deshalb immer mehr ...more
Published March 11th 2011 by Egmont Lyx

To ask other readers questions about Dunkle Magie, please sign up.
lily Yes, read it! I would suggest reading all three. If you loved the first one, by all means read the next one! Have fun and enjoy!
Brielle yes. the story won't make much sense if you don't read the first book but there is a recap at the beginning of the book within the first few chapters

·  84,690 ratings  ·  4,725 reviews

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I am done. I'm so tired of these type of books, that I'm officially calling it quits (....until curiosity and good reviews bring me back).

Why?

Why must these books have to have the predictable love triangle?

Why not a love square?

Why?

Why must these books have to have the predictable love triangle?

Why not a love square?

[image error]

I'm serious! Why must there be two guys and one girl? Or two girls and one guy? I know. Twilight started it all but come on! Rachel Hawkins is a good author and well, I really liked the way she wrote the characters but seriously, do I have to pick a team? I didn't like team picking in elementary school (I had, umm, a slight weight problem so I was always picked last- bad, bad memories), why the hell would I start picking teams now! But, noooo, once again, I must decide Team Archer (bad boy), or Team Cal (good boy). Of course, our lovely Sophie wants the bad boy. But, she has some feelings for our good-boy-can't-do-anything-wrong-silent-type Cal.

I have a solution-

[image error]

I'm just saying, that would set the book apart!

Now onto the story.

It annoyed me as well. See, I'm stuck in Sophie's head and well, Sophie is a bit teenage-ish. Yes, I do know she IS at teenager but pleezze... she is SEVENTEEN not 13. Plus, she is a super strong demon. I can understand she is insecure about who she is, her paranormal powers, bleh, bleh, bleh BUT she seemed very immature. Her internal dialogue really got on my nerves.

Being distracted by our lovely but annoying Sophie, it was hard to get into the story. In fact, I didn't really find a story until halfway through. The "mystery" wasn't really a mystery. It was really easy to figure out. The relationship problems between Sophie and her dad seemed like they were inserted after the fact.

What I really loved.

Jenna. She really was the best character in the book. She's really well-written and a very enjoyable character. Thank the vampire gods that she was in this book, or maybe I wouldn't have been reading it.

Nick. You'll meet him in the book. He's kind of interesting but I couldn't get a grasp of him. Nevertheless, I enjoyed his character enough.

Cal. I like that his character (until the end of the book) was reliable and predictable. I know that seems weird but I didn't find myself going "pleeeze" during his parts. He's good, acts good and has a good heart (of course, the cliffhanger might change that).

Here is what really sucks-

I want to read the next book. I really like the way Rachel Hawkins writes. I almost think that someone else dictated that way this stupid love triangle should play out. You can see that Hawkins has talent. I'm hoping she realizes that she's better than this twilight-ish crap. I know, the potential to see your character's faces on t-shirts, candy bars, and stuffed pillows might make life more profitable but I hope Hawkins rises above the dollar signs!

Aj the Ravenous Reader

This sequel to Hex Hall is...

KIDDING! Lol. It’s the exact, complete opposite of boring. In fact, every chapter-ender plants a smile on my face or induces a pleasant look of anxiety for what’s to happen next or invokes a crazy ugly squeal. It’s a total page-turner.

The plot is even more adventurous and challenging and I’m completely engrossed especially because the narrations and dialogues aclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
MischaS_
I feel a bit ashamed that the only part I've remembered is this scene:

“I'm sure you're wondering why I've brought you here."
I moved to the center of the room, my strappy sandals clacking on the marble floor. "I'm assuming this is where the punishment part comes in," I said. "So do I need to clean all these mirrors, or do I have to, like, stare at myself until I feel shamed or something?"
Surprisingly, Dad gave a tiny smile. "No, nothing quite that abstract. I want you to break one of
Flannery
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Parnormalcy series, fans of VA
I usually don’t give a crap about love triangles. When people are like “Team BLAH!”, I just kind of half-heartedly smile because I couldn’t care less. Except in this series, I actually do. Given the choice between a jerky douchebag maybe-traitor and a sexy, sweet lumberjack-type of dude, I’m gonna go lumberjack every day of the week. I remembered the love triangle from the first book in the series, Hex Hall, but I didn’t remember a lot of the plot before I started the second installment. As it turns ...more
Jessica
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!! :)
Shelves: own
Pre-Demonglass:

Dang! I just read Hex Hall, and I want to read this one now. 2011 is too long away.

How come so many people have already read this? NOT FAIR. (pout)

EDIT Oct. 22: COVER!!! WEDDING DRESS!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT Feb. 14: Ya know, if they kept the orginal release date, it would be coming out tomorrow... I want it now.

Post Demonglass:
(SPOILERS TO HEX HALL, not this one though)
What I feel like doing right now is crying
Vinaya
You know how sometimes you just take a totally irrational liking to a particular character, and when the story doesn't work out in their favour, you just want to throw the book away? Yeah, that's what happened to me with Demonglass. (Also, why is this book called Demonglass when the demonglass doesn't play any major role in the book?) Before I start the review, I want to make some things very clear. Objectively speaking, this is a great book, and very worthy of four stars. Sophie is still as sna ...more
Wendy Darling
Still heaps of fun! I love a good paranormal book as much as the next person, but sometimes they take themselves too seriously. I'm happy to report that Demonglass retains the same sarcastic humor and a snappy, action-packed plot that is just as entertaining as the one in Hex Hall.

Sophie is spending some time on her father's estate to figure out whether she's going to keep her awesome but pesky powers, and she's still secretly pining for her missing demon-hunter crush, Archer Cross. Complicating matters is th
Princess Bookie
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: Wow, Wow, Wow, what can I possibly say? I reviewed Hex Hall a few months ago and like I said before, I was hesitate about this series but than I read Hex Hall and I loved it. So of course I was looking forward to Demonglass but I wasn't sure if it would be as good. Demonglass outshined my expectations, it was even better than Hex Hall!!!! We are back with Sophie who has spent the last few months trying to get over that fateful night she lost a lot. Her dad's back in the picture, her ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Honestly, this is a really fun series and the I had no issues jumping right back into it even though it's been years since I read the first book.
Well written with a fast moving plot line and unforgettable characters, a must read for fans of the genre.
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
My first thought about this book was that it was a lot sadder than the first. There were so many emotional turns in this book that it left me hanging. Sophie is as sarcastic and as strong as she was the first book but she still has her doubts about who she is and her powers. She hopes to find out the mystery of the Eye, Archer, Cal, Hecate Hall’s leader, and the Council since there are many disappearances and demons being used for evil. Her budding relationship with her father and the bumps in t ...more
Elena
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally read this in one sitting! Rachel Hawkins' books are so much fun and fast reads ! And the endings always leave me craving more.
Emily May

I read this book in the space of just a few hours this morning. This was largely because there were some parts I had to skim-read. I am so so disappointed in this sequel to Hex Hall, it's been a wishlister of mine ever since I put the previous book down and I honestly believed I would love it - it's even set in my homeland after all!

But I couldn't get into the story... well, there actually didn't seem to be a whole lot of story. Basically, Sophie goes to hide out in the English countrysid
Anne
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been anxiously awaiting Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) since I read Hex Hall last March. Demonglass picks up shortly after Hex Hall left off. Sophie Mercer attends Hecate Hall ,or Hex Hall as the students have come to call it; a school for delinquent Prodigium (witches, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, and faeries) who have had trouble controlling their powers.

In Demonglass, Sophie has decided to go through the Removal after discovering that she is a demon, not a witch like she always thought.
MischaS_
Nejlepší scéna // Best scene
“I'm sure your wondering why I've brought you here."
I moved to the center of the room, my strappy sandals clacking on the marble floor. "I'm assuming this is where the punishment part comes in," I said. "So do I need to clean all these mirrors, or do I have to,like, stare at myself until I feel shamed or something?"
Surprisingly, Dad gave a tiny smile. "No,nothing quite that abstract. I want you to break one of the mirrors."
"Excuse me?"
Dad leaned back against the now-drapeless window and folded his arms over his chest. "Break a mi
Elena Salvatore
After Archer fleed and Sophie saw Alice kill Elodie, she decides to go through the removal. She prefers to die herself then to lose control and kill someone else.
The only thing that's stopping her is her father who makes a deal with her. She will go to live with him in the summer to get to know him and her own powers better and if she still want to go through the removal after, he will let her.

When they arrive at England, she finds out that she will spend time with alot more people than just her father.
His seco
Jo
3.5 stars.

Warning: Contains spoilers for Hex Hall....

“Somehow, my whole existence had become a really complicated world problem.
I’d always sucked at those.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
WHAT. NOOO. COME ONNN.

High Points.
Still so very hilarious. I really want to have a picnic with Ms Hawkins so I can eat sandwiches and get sunburnt just sit and laugh with at her YA pop culture references and snarky wit. I can imagine her being great company. Sophie… still loved her, but not as much as in the first one. Jenna. Vampir/>High/>Initial/>“Somehow,/>:
Jamie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to Hex Hall. In order to properly enjoy this book, I highly encourage you to read it first. This is not a trilogy to read out of order.

In some ways I enjoyed this more than the first one, and in others a bit less. To start, I liked the writing better. I didn't feel the topics and style were geared towards teens only. While a young adult book, this one did not rub me in the annoying way the first book did at times.

However this book did not really grab and easily hold my
Rachel Maniacup
Rachel Hawkins did it again! This book is just as good as the first and I love it!

In this sequel,Sophie meets her dad.I mean,really gets to know her dad and bonds with him in a unique way such as power developing/controlling. She also meets some more demons who didn't know/have no memories of why and how they existed. Sophie is also with Jenna(her bestfriend)
here(I'm glad),and Cal who plays a more prominent role in this book.

I wonder who would Sophie choose: the one
Neil (or bleed)
In this sequel of Hex Hall, I am pleased to say that Sophia Mercer, our protagonist/heroine, was still sarcastic and witty as she used to be. The book itself, actually, is bewitching and exciting to read and it became more exciting and more bewitching because of Sophie. I really enjoyed her character, her personality, her sarcasm and her charm. All through out the book, even the scenes are made to be serious, she never forgot to showcase her wit and snarky-ness, which made the scenes slightly li ...more
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Why I Read this Book: When I finally got around to reading Hex Hall, it had been sitting on my shelf for 8 months. I wasn’t exactly looking forward to reading it but when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, so I was glad to have Demonglass in hand when I finished. Sophie made a pretty big decision at the end of Hex Hall and now, in Demonglass, the reader gets to see how that decision is carried out.

What I Liked: Archer fans will be happy with his presence in Demonglass. Some interesting inform/>What
Chantel Acevedo
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of HEX HALL are going to love the way the story develops in DEMONGLASS. There's breathless action, and even more breathless, swoony romance, and a cliffhanger that made me both want to high five Rachel Hawkins and also, maybe yell at her a little. No spoilers here. Y'all are going to have to wait until March:)
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
He laughed softly. "I can't see you, but I have a feeling you're cute when you're jealous, Mercer."

Well, damn!  photo that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif_zpscdf221ca.gif

I must say....one minute I was getting very, very bored, and the next, I was gasping and covering my mouth with one hand due to the dramatic occurrences unraveling before me. I think this is one of those situations where, while the second book was super good, it lacked a little of my favorite character....and let me correct you before you make unfair assumptions-I am not that girl who rates based on wh
Madison
You can't trust a single character in these books smh.
Oh I love this character! Oh wait no they are a murderer..
Oh but this character! Nope.. They are a traitor..
This character seems loveable! Haha ok they died great.
The only character I can trust is Sophie but she is the queen of bad decisions so maybe I can't trust her for long.

This book was a great sequel! But the betrayal man... The betrayal in this was worse than the 1st book!
Souma BookAddict

Damn you second book syndrome! Damn you!

I am so very disappointed! Le sigh

This book was just boring. Not much happened throughout the entire book, and the mystery just wasn't that mysterious. Nothing really happened until the end of the book.

I feel like this book was just a set up for the next book .
Emma
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Demons, missing students . . . Why had my life suddenly become a Nancy Drew mystery from hell?

Absolutely excellent! This story moves us away from Hecate Hall to the Uk And the Council. We (and Sophie) finally meet her dad and shenanigans ensue. There were lots of twists to the story. This series is funny and well plotted. Sophie's powers have expanded and the politics of the Council and Sophie's family's part in it are revealed. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kara
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six Words:
I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW!!!!!!

Nope, that doesn't cover everything. Another four words:
I LOVE ARCHER CROSS!!!!!!
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good but I hate cliffhangers! Also Cal is dreamy
Veronica Morfi
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my... what an amazing book! Be careful, don't start reading this one unless you already have Spell Bound. Trust me.

In Demonglass we follow Sophie to her trip in London the summer right after everything in the first book happened. Accompanied by her best friend, the vampire, Jenna and her betrothal Cal, as we soon discover, Sophie visits Thorne Abbey, the place where her father lives and her Grandmother Alice was turned into a demon. But what she finds there is even more surprising than she e
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I loved it! Definitely a very good YA fantasy series! Fast-paced, funny and with interesting characters. It kept my interest from the first page until the last!
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Rtc...HA!! Just almost two and a half months later. Better late than never though since I've been holding off reading the final book till I've written this up.

This sequel was even better, more intense & surprising than the first book. Normally second books get that heavy plot build sickness for the final installment, but not this little gem. Definitely getting a 4.5 stars from me

So it starts off with daddy-o requesting Sophie come stay with him in England for the summer in hopes of changing he

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • The Demon's Surrender
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)

Hex Hall (4 books)
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • School Spirits
“It sucks that we miss people like that. You think you've accepted that someone is out of your life, that you've grieved and it's over, and then bam. One little thing, and you feel like you've lost that person all over again.” 912 likes
“Wow, Cross. I think you missed your calling. Screw demon hunting: you should clearly be writing Hallmark cards.” 415 likes