Start by marking “Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet” as Want to Read:
Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet

Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  876 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Now presenting Manga Shakespearethe Bard's greatest plays in an accessible, lively format for a new generation of readers

Romeo and Juliet is ideally suited for the manga formatit has teenage heroes, scheming and villainous adults, heartbreaking tragedy, and the ultimate romantic plot about star-cross'd lovers. Romeo, a Montague, and Juliet, a Capulet, fall deeply in lovean
Published July 1st 2008 by Self Made Hero (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Manga Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga Shakespeare

Ecmel Soylu
Jun 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okuduğum en komik şeylerden biriydi
Michael
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite a more happy marriage of Shakespeare's text and Manga visuals than the titular couple enjoy. This sort of venture is excellent for intriguing young minds to the bard's plays. It isn't the full text mind you, but what does appear is pretty much untampered with. Although the visuals represent a Japanese cast of characters playing out a modern day Tokyo Yakuza rivalry it doesn't distract too much from the power of Shakespeare's wordplay. Manga visuals are an excellent medium for representing ...more
Rebecca
Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet, but in this abridged, modern-day manga version, Romeo is a Japanese pop star, and Juliet is a trend-setting fashionista. Although the story is told through Shakespeare's words, all the characters and situations are seen through a manga lens, complete with chibi transformations at moments of strong but immature emotion. Although everyone is of course gorgeous beyond words (the manga standard), there's not too much fanservice, and overall the story wor ...more
Liawèn
I gave four stars solely for the art style. It's a typical manga art style which I love. The setting in Tokyo with two rivalling families felt great.
But I cannot help myself; I just don't like the story of Juliet and her Romeo. Everyone always says how romantic this story is and how tragic the circumstances...
In my opinion it's bullshit. Romeo is a hormone stricken 15 year old who at the beginning of the play is in deep depression because Rosaline doesn't return his love. He sees Juliet and sna
Sara
3.7 Stars (WORTH A RE READ!!!)

SHAKESPEARE MEETS THE COLOURFUL WORLD OF MANGA.

A great retake on the old English, Shakespeare classic! It granted me a better understanding of how to read the notoriously popular Japanese Mangas, to tackle Hana Kimi I will have to read their way: right to left as opposed to the usual left to right. It's a little mixed too, which order to go from to what word to what picture is still confusing this way, our Western way so it will be even harder the proper way! It eve
Pauline
I usually do not like abridged books, I feel the original full text should be read and savoured, not a shortened and edited text.

That being said, it is important for teens who read the manga versions of Shakespeare to realize that what they are reading is a summarized version. Hopefully the manga adaptation will get teens to seek out the real thing.

The artwork and the emotions portrayed by the drawings in the manga version of "Romeo and Juliet" are wonderfully executed. I enjoyed the updated tim
Wes
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romeo and Juliet are star crossed lovers who are caught up in the whirlwind of a bitter feud between their rival Yakusa families. Will defying their families wishes to be together result in more bloodshed and killing on the city streets?
The most famous love story wielded by William Shakespeare has been transported to the streets of modern Tokyo, to great effect. The manga illustrations are edgey and help the reader to connect the complex language in a way I wish i could have when I first encount
Amanda
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story is a remake of the classic Romeo and Juliet. It holds the same plot and Shakespearean language, bet depicts teenaged characters in modern day Tokyo. For those who have a hard time understanding or following along with the original Romeo and Juliet, the comic form remake of the story makes it easier to understand. Aside from the ease of understanding that the manga retelling of this story offers, I wish that it did not take place in modern day Tokyo. The Shakespearan language used didn ...more
Steven Shroyer
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not the full text of the play(there is a version by the Cliffs Notes people which is more faithful) this is still a great adaptation of my favorite love story. All the power is still there and the art style is a joy to look at. A perfect way to get your young ones to read the greatest author in the English language.
Dakota
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was pretty good. I really like art in it and it was fun to read and made Shakespeare less boring and a little bit easier to understand with the help of the manga very cool the mix of manga and Shakespeare.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say I didn't buy the book because of the art. Sonia Leong's art style is beautiful, but while the cover art is attractive, the inside of the book's art isn't. I was somewhat disappointed at the rough artwork and the little shading the book had. The art doesn't live up to the expectations the cover sets. The colored pages (of the cast), however, are gorgeous.

This was my first time reading Shakespeare, and the adaption (some of the dialogue is missing due to adaption) was great. I got the
Mia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good. Like you get the story, and the amazing quotes without having to read a complicated book. You get the beautiful yet tragic story, in a shorter simpler way. I have never read Shakespeare, like what he really wrote, but this book tells the story with what I think is the same dialog but in a way that might appeal more to teens, because its in manga form. And the artwork is stunning.
Ella
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story's alright, I guess. I get that it's supposed to be about Shakespeare's original story of Romeo and Juliet but placed into modern time. But what I didn't get was why did they kept the old English in the story? It didn't make sense for a modern timezone nor did it suited it for the way that they're dressed. Plus, both families are part of either the mafia or yakuza.
Jessica Jayne
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book made it so much easier for me at school to understand Shakespeare love the story it's quite sad romantic and twisted like most of Shakespeare work and loved the drawings to :). Think it makes shakespeare appealing to younger generations to !
Catherine
I would recommend this for people wanting an introduction to Shakespeare. It's a reasonable adaptation, the truncation of the original work only adds to the speed. I quite liked the character index and setting it in Japan, with Yakuza families was an intelligent parallel.
Kristin Bateman
An interesting adaptation. While I'm sick to death of R&J, this will make a nice supplemental piece for my students.
Eristina
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, manga
Knjiznica fakulteta je pravo blago. Ovo je bilo zabavno, ali me i podsjetilo na sve razloge zašto mi je Romeo i Julija jedna od najmržih Shakespeareovih drama.
Zee
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for understanding the text and low ability students.
Bookandkook
Günümüzün Japonya'sında iki düşman aile; Capuletler ve Montagueler. Capuletlerin kızı Juliet ile Montaguelerin oğlu Romeo birbirine aşık olur. Ailelerinden gizlice evlenirler. Romeo bir cinayet işler ve sürgüne gönderilir. Juliet'in evli olduğundan bîhaber olan babası onu başka biriyle evlendirmek ister. Peki Juliet, içine düştüğü bu çıkmazdan kurtulup Romeo'ya kavuşabilecek midir? Sorunun cevabını pek çok kişinin bildiğini tahmin ediyorum, bilmeyenler de kendileri okuyup öğrenmeleri için itina ...more
Jamie Liu
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story ‘Remeo and Juliet’ is by Richard appignanesi. It is the Japanese comic book. It just drawing the story of Romeo and Juliet. Romeo love Juliet. But the last, Romeo doesn’t know Juliet is life. Then he dead. When Juliet wake up, she was very sad. Then they dead together.
Rebecca
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school and up, manga fans, those looking for an abridged version
Shelves: graphic-novels
Manga Shakespeare! Who knew I'd really like it? You don't have to read it right-to-left and backward, though -- it's not quite that authentic.

The art is superb, with full-color character portraits at the beginning, and wonderful use of composition and pattern throughout. The text is original Shakespeare, only not quite all of it -- but the important lines are there and work with the pictures to convey the plot.

The setting is modern-day Tokyo, where Romeo is a rock idol, Juliet is a Shibuya girl,
Brittany Sweeney
Owen R
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book because it's a good remake on a classic story, but I had trouble understanding why Friar Lawrence didn't just call Romeo to tell him that Juliet wasn't actually dead. If you make a modern remake of an old story, make it more realistic for this time. I also don't know where the death sentence would actually be allowed in modern day Japan, where this book takes place.
I liked how the characters were altered for modern manga graphic novels, especially because they all us
Hannah Harvey
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't ever heard of this book before, and I didn't know that this series existed, but I was in the library the other day, with time to kill before meeting up with my mum, and I found this. I decided to pick it up and start reading while I waited, and see how much of it I could read, since I'm taking part in a read-a-thon and I didn't want to waste any opportunity to read.
I ended up finishing the entire book while I was waiting, and I'm really glad that I did.
I loved the blending of Shakespea
Soobie can't sleep at night
Meh...

It's not that this adaptation is bad... I was very disappointed by the art: it's like the author started drawing digitally without being able to do it. The hair looks terrible and the hands aren't well-definied (they do resemble claws every now and then).

I didn't even like the font used, with the weird D's.

I don't know if the Japanese setting really adds something to this adaptation. I mean, it's weird. Romeo is supposed to flee to Mantua but he goes to Kyoto instead.

I can't say anything
Marsha
This famous play of doomed romance is very much like Jell-O. It’s practically foolproof, nearly impossible to flub and can withstand a variety of treatments. Thus Manga Shakespeare has given it two very different interpretations. One went the traditional route, with settings and costumes of 16th-century Italy. This version is set in modern-day Tokyo, with the two lovers offsprings of warring Yakuza families. A handy color guide to the characters is set in front, so the reader knows who is who. S ...more
Bret Sarbieski
Romeo and Juliet was one of the few Shakespeare stories that I could actually understand on my own, however I greatly enjoyed having images to go along with the story. The book is re-modeled to take place in current day Japan, but the main story remains unchanged. The artwork expertly captured all of the emotions that Shakespeare conveys with the story and portrays them perfectly. For those that don't understand Shakespeare's work too well, the images will also help the reader to understand what ...more
Anita
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Szeretem ezt a történetet. Képes vagyok akármilyen feldolgozásban megnézni / elolvasni / meghallgatni, de azt hiszem, hogy a múltkori manga kilométereket ver rá erre! A Romeo x Juliet ugyan a Neo Verona nevű jövőben játszódik, de a stílushoz igazodott a nyelvezet és a történet is, amíg itt a régi shakespearei szöveghez egy modern japán mangát kaptam, mindenféle kütyüvel, motorral, jakuzával, satöbbivel.

Olyan gyenge lett, hogy fáj… például jön XY barát a hírekkel Rómeóhoz és beközli, hogy „…és tü
Aparna
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know quite what to make of this. Maybe the good first: I liked the art, and the characters were quite pleasant to the eye. Also, it might be an easier way to get people interested in the story, if they must.

The bad seems to outweigh the good, though. The connection to modern-day Japan is barely relevant - nothing about Juliet says 'Shibuya girl', and Romeo, a pop-star? Well, if he held a musical instrument at all, it would make sense. It seems to be a poorly adapted version of Baz Luhrm
Madlenka
NO. I don't think recreating classic is a bad idea. But when recreating something as classic and widely known as Romeo and Juliet, you have to be really careful.

The beauty of language ptractically disappeared as only short excerpts are used. And the language makes a big, unpleasant contrast with mobile phones, cars and modern day Tokio in general. You have to decide. Either this, or that.

Having said that, I guess I don't have to emphasize how weird all the other things connected with today's wor
  • Shakespeare's Hamlet: The Manga Edition
  • Syncopated: An Anthology of Nonfiction Picto-Essays
  • Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 2
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #2
  • How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
  • John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Angel, Hollower (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #18/ Angel Comic #1 Buffy Season 3/ Angel Season 1)
  • Essential Shakespeare Handbook
  • Marvel Fairy Tales
  • Ariel
  • Owney, the Mail-Pouch Pooch
  • Kingdom Hearts: The Complete Series (Kingdom Hearts, #1-4)
  • Jane Eyre
  • Queen Bee
  • Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi

Manga Shakespeare (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Manga Shakespeare: As You Like It
  • Manga Shakespeare: Much Ado about Nothing
  • Manga Shakespeare: Richard III
  • Manga Shakespeare: The Tempest

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be