Start by marking “The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1

(Amazing Spider-Man: Omnibus #1)

In 1962, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko gave birth to one of the most-enduring icons in American popular media: the one and only Amazing Spider-Man! Turning the concept of a super hero on its head, they imbued the young, guilt-ridden Peter Parker with the fantastic powers of an arachnid and the fantastic pressures of an everyday teenager. The combination was pure magic during ...more
Published April 25th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1

Start your review of The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1
James
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I own a number of these Marvel Omnibus editions now, but this is the one I would grab if there was a fire and I could only take one with me. Sure, most of the material in this volume has been reprinted endlessly elsewhere, but it's never looked this good anywhere else, nor has all the great letter columns and in-house ads of the day been so lovingly restored and included.

If you were to compare Steve Ditko's art to most anything you can find in a superhero comic these days, you would find Ditko's
Justin
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Amazing Spider-Man never got better than this - ASM 1-38, Amazing Fantasy 15, and Annuals 1 & 2. This represents the entire Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run - a watershed of popular culture and arguably the most important development of "heroes in tights" since Superman's debut in 1938's Action Comics #1.

What's so special about this collection you may ask? First of all the stories are great - a unique mix of action and soap opera pathos. It is hard to think of a superhero with more unfortunate
Chris Gordon
Spider-Man was, is, and probably always will be my favorite superhero. As a kid, I watched the '90s animated series religiously, collected all the action figures, and loved the original Sam Rami movie trilogy (yes, even Spider-Man 3, which I acknowledge has its problems but is still better, in my eyes, than any modern-day superhero flick). Needless to say, I am a huge Spidey fan. Yet, one of my greatest shames was the fact that I would buy the Spider-Man comics but never read them; I was one of ...more
Cameron H
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Call me crazy, but I’ll never stop shipping Peter and Betty Brant.

[image error]
Andy
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spider-man
Spider-Man is one of my greatest passions yet it's taken me this long to finally get around to reading the early stories. I've actually had the book from the initial release and read it in stops and starts (to be fair, it followed me around the world). I finally decided to dig back in, went back to the beginning and started afresh. What a ride.

Lee and Ditko changed the face of comics with Spider-Man and this complete Ditko run is phenomenal. Everything is there from the beginning, starting with
Pete
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Read around an issue a week with my son. I was shocked by the quality and the number of classic characters that were introduced early on.

By the end of the Kirby/Lee run that is this omnibus they are just getting to the familiar storylines everyone knows from the movies.

Great fun watching Spider-Man develop and transform in these early issues.

Let’s not forget....Betty Brant, Mary Jane Watson & Gwen Stacey. There’s something about that sweet Peter Parker.
Matthijs Budding
Het begin van Spider-man, heel charmant en ietwat knullig.
Rhi
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This comic is absolutely AMAZING. Haha. so happy to read the first ever spiderman comics.
Don Witzel
One of the greatest comic book ground breaking runs. Just "Amazing" You will care for the man behind the mask more than the hero...
Josh Brown
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Read on Marvel Unlimited) It is absolutely incredible to go back to the beginning of this character and see how much of what made him iconic is there from the very beginning. A teenager balancing money, love, and crime fighting in New York is established right from the start. Lee gives Spider-Man the witty quips we've come to expect, while Ditko's art is fundamental in showing how these great characters move and interact. So many classic side characters and villains are introduced in this run, ...more
Darkcharade
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's always nice to be able to travel back to the beginning of a long running series. These comics allow you to see what lead to a successful character decades later and shows you the basis of what many of his modern retellings use. Beyond the obvious action and adventure you would expect from a comic series it also captures a time period better than many novels could. This was an era of showmanship that you just don't experience anymore. Some of the stories can be a bit dated but the drama ...more
Andres Castro
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gracias a Steve Ditko y Stan Lee por crear spiderman!!!
ver los inicios de los comics de spiderman sin un gran efecto de los dibujos como en la época actual pensaria que seria aburrido leerlo, pero me sorprendió gratamente las historias, las peleas, los dramas de Peter Parker, Me encanto como el verdadero peter era un inadaptado social debido a su responsabilidad de ser superheroe y no el cool spiderman que vemos actualmente.

Ame cada historia publicada y considero a Lee y Ditko como unos genios
Greg Peterson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently read all of the silver age marvel up to 1968 and Spider-Man was easily my favorite. These stories in my opinion hold up the best compared to contemporary comics.
Khalid Agriba
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good
BummerinmyVeins
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
In my quest to read through the essentials of golden age comic books, Spider-Man by Lee and Ditko was the first that crossed my mind. This is odd because it is neither the first comic of the extended Marvel Universe, nor is it even the most acclaimed. Both of those honors belong to Kirby and Lees Fantastic Four, however with the immense popularity of Lee and Ditko's Spider-Man make it the essential Marvel run for many people. For good reason as well, the Fantastic Four was one of the first ...more
Lance Johnson
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What else is there that hasn't been said about the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run of "The Amazing Spider-Man". Unlike Golden Age characters like Batman and Superman, whose mythos were expanded upon by later writers and artists, you could read this volume and no other Spider-Man comics and have a solid grasp on what the character is all about and what makes him great.

Sure, John Romita's stuff is great as well, but Ditko provides a quirky rendition of the character that makes it far easier to
Clark
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wacky fun of Spidey's earliest adventures are all well and good, but it's the reprinted 60's letters pages that make this book great. It's great to have some sense of the culture and concern of comic fans from some 40 years ago. Every generation thinks that it's so much different than those that have come before it, but now I know. Comic book readers are opinionated, obnoxious bastards now, and they were opinionated, obnoxious bastards then, too.
Russell Grant
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This one collects Ditkos amazing creation and run on the title. Not a bad one in here, and it reads very modern despite being from the 60's. Ditko and Lee really kicked the doors off with the plotting, with minor things having huge consequences sometimes 20 issues later which gives it an even more epic feel. Shame Ditko left, as it would of been great to see what he would of done in 100 issues, instead of these 38.
JMK
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
While its content shows its age, it retains a lot of charm, and has to be given credit for collecting Spider-Man's origin, in order. This omnibus doesn't just have an impressive page count, but also collects each comic's letters pages, has bonus essays from the Masterworks versions, and other extras. Collecting the Lee/Ditko run, there are loads of classic Spidey stories here, including quite the number of villain first issues on top of Spidey's.
Dean Olson
This was interesting to read as to see where it all begin. The stories did just drag on in parts and the women characters really were dated. But it had a special energy and can see how it was so popular.
Tara Calaby
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Spider-Man comics are easily the most consistent and entertaining of the 1960s lines. Where other lines just feature page after page of fight scenes, Amazing Spider-Man actually features character development!
Emily Matview
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Stan Lee’s dialogue doesn’t quite hold up and can make for a slightly stilted read but I think it’s worth it just for the gorgeous Steve Ditko artwork.
Mike
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The heaviest book I own, in more ways than one.
Monty
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seen through today's sensibilities, the first 15 or 20 issues are kind of a slog. Soon after, the mag found its footing. Fascinating for any Spidey fan.
Kim
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It is a big hit for both Rick and Gabe and I am starting to learn superhero history, LOL. WHo needs Western Civ:)
Gareth Nang
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5. The stories and dialogue don't hold up so well, but the art and wonderful characters are timeless.
Len

• Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
  • Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
  • Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
  • Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos
  • Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) was an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing

Amazing Spider-Man: Omnibus (3 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 2