Start by marking “The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  397 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Retailers, restaurants, and tech support providers believe service is king, but in The Customer Is Not Always Right, A.J. Adams proves that customers will do anything they can to put that motto to the test.

Readers get a collection of insights and stories from the popular Web site NotAlwaysRight.com. The book and site showcase customer-relations horror stories everyone can
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Customer Is Not Always Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Customer Is Not Always Right

Mickey
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever worked ANY kind of customer service position, you will read this book and identify with nearly every anecdote. If you haven't worked customer service, you will read this, laugh, and say "Things like that don't REALLY happen, do they?" YES THEY DO.

For your consideration, my own anecdote:

I work in the property/evidence room for the local Police department. We often field calls from people who know the law better than the officers and try to impress us with this while demanding tha
Nina
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I laughed and snickered reading the hilarious and sometimes exasperated moments between the customers and the workers. Sometimes they're amusing and many times they're annoying.
MischaS_
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
I just love these. How is it possible that people are so stupid?
Also, their website is wonderful, my best friend in school when I am bored. (Actually, I am pretty much obsessed with their website. I check it every morning even before I read my emails.)
M N
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in between a few mysteries. Some of the anectodes are thoroughly funny. Some looked slightly embellished. If it had happened, i can only pity the CSR.
Alex Telander
Anyone who has a worked a shift in any form of retail has stories to tell of those customers; A. J. Adams has experienced this personally after working in various forms of retail. In 2007 he decided that retail employees needed a voice and created Notalwaysright.com. Since then many turn to this therapeutic website for catharsis, therapy, or just a good laugh; while others use it as their forum to voice their anger, shock, and dumbfoundedness at some of the people that exist in this world. The C ...more
Winston
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The Dregs of Society Exposed

As Norm Feuti eloquently put it in his take on the retail industry and atrocious customers, the worst criminals, politicians, neo-Nazis and everyone else you would rather not deal with have to shop. As a result, those unfortunate enough to work behind the register (offline or on) are subjected to the most horrendous abuse and stupidity, on an almost-daily basis. And yes, these poor souls are required to work on public holidays. Although they may get used to their lot
Kerrikoala
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is why I prefer to work behind the scenes!

So, okay, this book was amusing and a quick read, but I didn't laugh out loud like I did when I read WEIRD THINGS CUSTOMERS SAY IN BOOKSHOPS. 3.75 stars, but since I can't do fractions of stars, I'll give it 4.
Amy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
This book is a must-read for anyone who has ever worked in a service industry. I laughed out loud. Often.
Jeannie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super-short but highly amusing collection of anecdotes that will keep you laughing, and make you seriously question the fate of the human race.
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
I stumbled across this book through the Goodreads suggestions after I read Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops. I set it aside on my "to-read" shelf, and then noticed that the book was another one of those that started off as a website. So, to see what I was getting myself into, I went to the website.

And then I read through more than 1,000 pages of stories in a single day.

These are incredibly addictive and amusing, and are a wonderful testament to the joy that is working in the customer serv
T. Okerberg
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stupid.... It's painful!!!

Ho-leee CRAP!! I've worked in various customer service jobs over the past twenty-plus years, and my Lord these people..... I'm honestly glad to say I'm not the only one who dealt with the world's most daft individuals! My husband works full time as a cashier at a grocery store, and horror stories he's shared, honestly I'm so glad I work from home now for myself. Good grief, how did these people survive childhood?! I laughed until I cried on a lot of these, and I sat
Hayley
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: online
I feel that everyone who works in retail should have to read this as part of the training I don't care what store you work in this is priceless.
Sheryl
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book out a smile on my face. I work retail and can relate to the stories told, and yes people are just like that
Brielle
People are so dumb it's painful. This gave me flashbacks.
Reham Almutairi رهام المطيري
Another humor book! This book is composed of hundreds of funny stories about customers who ask weird, sometimes stupid, questions or who do some weird things at supermarkets, bookstores or other stores. The stories in this book are all public submitted stories. ( You can read them in a online in a website with the same title…and maybe add a story yourself!…I did!)

I was sitting next to my mother and reading the stories to her and laugh together. It really has some HILARIOUS stories. Weird people
Stephanie R.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The stories about stupid customers are very funny and entertaining.
The only "disadvantage" is that the website is just as good as the book, having multiple new stories a day and being searchable by category. So the book is better if you want to introduce somebody to the idea of silly customer stories, or if you are taking a trip somewhere without Internet access.
One of my favorites is the one where a lady calls her cell phone company 20 times in 48 hours, each time claiming that her baby is lo
Jeff
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Amusing Read. Here's a funny example of idiot customers:

(I’m at the second window of the drive-through where I hand out the food and drinks.)

CUSTOMER: “Excuse me, I ordered a Coke and you gave me a Dr Pepper.”
ME: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I’ll get that fixed right away for you …”
(I return with a Coke.)

ME: “Is there anything else that I can do for you?”
CUSTOMER: “Yes, I’m sorry, but my husband wanted a Dr Pepper and he got a Coke.”
(I realize this customer isn’t exactly the brightest person.)

ME: “S
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in, 2010, humor, nonfiction
This book features a compilation of bad customer stories, all told in script form. One hundred are from their website, http://notalwaysright.com/, and another hundred are brand new.[return][return]I won't waste time quoting or summarizing; just go to the website to see why this book is so extraordinary. Some of these people need to be removed from the gene pool and others... well, maybe they were just having a bad day. Reading this brings back fond memories of my own time in retail. Also, when I ...more
Rebekah
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious. I've worked in retail just over three years now and I am a firm believer that if everyone worked one solid year in the lowest rung of retail, the world would be a better place. Anyone who's ever been asked whether they sell falcons, anyone who's ever been asked whether a completely different store sells tents, and anyone who's ever been asked why they can't see bacteria will enjoy this book.
Tanya
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I work in retail and while most customers are fine, you will always get a complete moron, this book contains lots of stories from fellow employees trying to deal with stupid questions, unreasonable requests, rude customers who seem to think that just because you work with the public that you can forget any type of manners.
If you work with the public this book is a must as we have all met a customer like these ones and if you don't believe me people really do behave like this.
Susana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Un libro corto y divertido, pleno de pequeñas anécdotas de experiencias de servicio que rayan en lo absurdo.
En la medida que avanzaba en su lectura, iba creciendo mi disgusto y las respuestas de los dependientes en los ejemplos comenzaron a parecerme groseras y opuesta a lo que como cliente espero y promuevo como la excelencia en el servicio.
Bree
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
I was looking for more horrific stories. I mean I have some really horrific stories just from my 15 years working with customers. Some of these were just so tame. I understand that there were only 100 examples and each one had to be a small page long but there had to be better stories from their website. Some were classically funny though so it was worth a read, from the library.
Briony
Anyone who has ever worked in public service will appreciate this book. There were many times I chuckled to myself while thinking "Who would have the gall to say that to someone?" I then would remember that I have also encountered some of these special people in the workplace. This is a fun and fast read if your are looking for something with a good laugh.
Emily
This is a cute book to give to anyone you know that works with the public. As a public librarian I could laugh at many of these situations, and I'm sure that others who work in any kind of public capacity would appreciate it too!
Emilie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could find more books like this because this was so funny. Working in both retail and the food industry I could super relate to some of these stories and it was great to read these experiences and know I wasnt alone in having dumb people come into stores.
Saru (Queen of Bookland)
Initial Reaction After Finishing This Book:

Ehh. Why not. There was NOTHING bad about this book because it was just a bunch of outrageously funny conversations between customers and employees. So yeah, good! :)
Andre
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very light and funny stories!
Katrina
Really funny book! Though some of the stories weren't as funny as some that I've read on the site, most had me giggling. HIGHLY recommend going to the site for a laugh (NotAlwaysRight.com)
Michelle
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, read2017
Na to, že to má byť humorná kniha, to nebolo príliš humorné. Ale to bude asi tým, že na takejto ľudskej hlúposti sa omnoho ľahšie krúti hlavou, než sa na nej smeje.
M
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very relatable for anyone in the service industry. I laughed out loud a few times.
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • F My Life
  • P.S. I Hate it Here: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • The Customer is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders
  • Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • The Checkout Girl: My Life on the Supermarket Conveyor Belt. Tazeen Ahmad
1 follower
A. J. Adams is no stranger to dealing with customers; he was born and raised in Las Vegas, a city well-known for its thriving service industry. Although he now designs Web sites for a living, he has also worked in restaurants, bookstores, and coffee shops. It was after one particularly frustrating run-in with a customer that he decided to create NotAlwaysRight.com, a Web site devoted to sharing fu ...more
More about A.J. Adams

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet