Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1

(Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (Perfect) #1)

Hayao Miyazaki was a budding filmmaker in 1982 when he agreed to collaborate on a project with the popular Japanese anime magazine Animage. This was Nausicaa, which would make Miyazaki's reputation as much as his 11 films and TV shows.Set in the far future, Nausicaa visualizes an Earth radically changed by ecological disaster. Strange human kingdoms survive at the edge of ...more
Paperback, Perfect Collection, 264 pages
Published October 6th 1995 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1

Start your review of Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
[This is a review of the whole series.]

Nausicaä by Hayao Miyazaki

Several years back (this was maybe 2002, right before Spirited Away hit American shores) I was finally able to see Hayao Miyazaki’s film Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. I had heard a lot of good things about it both from friends who adored the bastardized American release fifteen years earlier, Warriors of the Wind, and from friends who regularly s
Andrew
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, comics
This was a slight letdown for me, and it might be one of the rare cases of "The Movie Was Better Than The Book." Miyazaki's designs are of course a marvel, and I love the spiritual and ecological themes, but I found much of the action, particularly the dogfights, difficult to follow. It would also be easier to keep up with the complex political maneuvering (I count at least 6 competing factions here) if everybody's armor didn't look exactly the same. By the end of this volume (which is actually ...more
Alex
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful manga from a master artist. It has exciting action, memorable characters, a compelling plot, and a powerful environmental message. The translation in this Perfect Collection is also very good despite there being two or three moments that felt a little choppy. Considering this volume is 261 pages of indispensable beauty, those few choppy moments are quickly washed away.

Can’t wait to read the other three volumes and to re-watch the film when I’m done. The more I see from Ha
Susan Wojtas
Several years ago I saw the movie version of Nausicaa and loved it. I never knew it was based off of graphic novels until later. Apparently there are four of these so I’ll have to read the rest for sure.

This is really different from the movie with a heck of a lot more going on! It took me a few days to read this because each page is jam packed lol. There are more battles and you learn more about this world they live in. I also understand Nausicaa’s connection to the ohmu a bit more now.

I will
Flynn
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lapl
Amazing!!! The worldbuilding is just fantastic.
Ryan
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(My review of the whole series)

An incredibly imaginative and (mostly) coherent manga. The setting is a far future Earth where man has almost been overrun by a toxic jungle filled with giant insects, but continues to subsist in a few fuedal kingdoms that wage war on each other with the last remaining bits of technology. The characters, outlandish creatures, mix of technological and primitive, and quasi-Buddhist spiritual themes reminded me a lot of Star Wars. However, where George Luc
Matt Richter
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is one of my favourite films and I've wanted to read the original manga for awhile. Much of the film is taken from the content in this first volume. For the most part I really enjoyed it! I wouldn't say the artwork is staggering, but Miyazaki manages to convey an extrememly strong characterisation for Nausicaä that really made me care about her and her world and plight. Sometimes I found the action sequences a bit chaotic (from my limited experience, this has b ...more
Lindsay
Gosh, I'm trying to find a way to get into manga, but it's just not happening. I kinda like the storyline, but it was difficult for me to follow who was saying what, which wasn't helped by the muddy, claustrophobic art. It hooked me enough that I'm going to try the movie to see if I can parse things better there.
Rachel
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
one of my favourite miyazaki movies, but the manga doesn't translate well for me - i think i find it a bit confusing visually. the art is gotgeous but tends to distract from the text and there's a lot going on on each page - especially during action sequences. but the story is compelling and it does have a very nostalgic quality for me.
Justin
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible story! I love how Miyazaki explained how he came up with the story of Nausicaa in the end of this book. It makes me want to read more and more of his stories.
Col
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dying-earth
Full series review

The movie covers (more or less) the first two volumes of this series, with some later elements shoehorned in and changed around. If you've watched the movie, the full series will have a lot of new stuff for you. Unfortunately I found that the movie was a bit better than what the rest of the manga had to offer. The movie is near perfect, so the manga is still quite good. However, I found a lot of the battle scenes went on far too long, and the costume and character d
Jackie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I found the world and characters interesting, but my enjoyment of the graphic novel was constantly interrupted by the lack of color. I've seen a few Studio Ghibli movies, so I'm not unfamiliar with Miyazaki's art style, but I've never read one of his graphic novels before. All of the characters look alike, and in black and white, you don't get a lot of help differentiating between them. Also, some of the blocks are detailed to the point where it can be hard to tell what is even happening. Not su ...more
Jeffrey Gao
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read of the manga that started everything Studio Ghibli. The movie is noticeably similar to the manga but there's quite a few differences. It's alright because I enjoy both. Time to read the rest!
Keane Ingram
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Been meaning to read these for a while. I love the world that Miyazaki has created and look forward to reading the next volume.
Melissa Michelle
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the back ground story that is very different from the movie.
Raymond Wharton
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personal favorite work of future fantasy. Has a nearly religious place in my heart.
Carles
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2017
Not a definitive rating. It may be changed after reading the whole series.
Julia V
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm on a bit of a dystopia binge right now on accident so this fit perfect with my current reading. I can see how the extended volumes might be a bit better because the story was rushed but I really loved this. I fell in love with the princess almost immediately.

This version was better for me because I don't get to read a lot of graphic novels recently and it was nice to have one with a bit of length to it.
Erika Maruo
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
1.VIZ GRAPHIC NOVEL
2.7/2 = 15 minutes, 7/5 = 20 minutes, 7/7 = 35minutes
3.7 words summary: Nausicaa - forest - voice - ohme - calm - friend - rescue
4. Q. Do you like animals? What animlas do you like?
A. I really like animals. Especially I like baby animals such as puppy and kitty.
5. Honestly, I have watched this movie on TV in Japanese. I am happy to read this work in English! My biology teacher in high school said to us in her class, she was Nausicaa of Heisei era.
Damon
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is just about as good as it gets. I love me some manga, but the only thing that maybe comes close to this in epic storytelling is Akira, and I think I like Nausicaa a little better.

I originally read these in the single-issues version from the 80s. I like reading it in this more compact "Perfect Collection" version, but I don't know if it really benefits from the reduction of the page size. There are definitely places where the panels get a bit small for the amount of action in them, and it
Sparky
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far the most beautifully-drawn, sweeping graphic novels I have ever had the privilege of reading. The books go much more in-depth than the movie (which is excellent on its own), and makes it a much more complex story that likely requires a few reads to fully grasp. It's hard to not be the slightest bit guilty while reading, since it concerns humanity's future in a world twisted with pollution, and the nature of human lust for war. On the other hand, Nausicaa is a grounded and lovable heroine. ...more
BellaGBear
I think my mobile phone was not the best medium to read this on. The drawings had so much detail that it was difficult to see what exactly was happening.

The story was good. A lot of fantasy elements completely different from anything Ive seen before. And also as a major in climate studies (more or less) I loved the environmental angle. However the storytelling itself was not that original. It stays in fantasy archetypes. So definetly a book for people who are looking for an epic fant
Michael Loder
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes demanding graphic novels
This book, and its further volumes, has had a profound influence on my own writing and on my perception of this world and the role of heroes. The art work is detailed and complex, never rushed or incomplete. The story explores an enormous number of themes, from the role of humanity in this world, the destruction of life and even how and why military units operate and hold together.
It is a sad story with so many wonderful characters dying, or turning evil. Yet many others gain insight into their
Amy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's interesting to see a Miyazaki narrative on page instead of on screen. In a lot of ways, it's better. He writes such interesting stories, and his dedication to the character of Nausicaa shines through brighter here than in the movie. The part of his work that was lost in print was his art. I don't know if it was the edition I read, but Miyazaki has such intricate artwork - the towns, the corrupted forests, the insects - they're all amazing to look at. But my copy was tiny and often times I g ...more
Ruth Bailey
I really wanted to like this...
The story line is really unique and appeals to me personally, but I think that might also account for my disappointment. I could not get into the story, because I found the art and characters hard to follow. Additionally, I did not care about the main character. She's proclaimed special by those around her constantly, but I did not find her likable or interesting.

I might give the anime a go, because this is so well-regarded that I feel I might be
Nick
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2000s, sci-fi, comics, japan
Great. Overly environmentalist possibly. Very "cinematic", and has classic awesome miyazaki creatures/art. only thing is that I wish it was all colored, as color played kind of a big part in the movie (with the eyes of the beasts changing colors etc). Anyway ill buy #2. I hate that goodreads doesnt just allow you to list an entire series. listing ever graphic novel volume will become obnoxious quickly.
Carolyn
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-graphic
As much as I love Miyazaki's films, this one just didn't capture my interest that much. It was confusing and kind of contradicting in its story and I didn't know where it was going most of the time. Nausicaa was kind of cold and distant as a female protagonist. I couldn't connect with her that much.
It wasn't awful but it wasn't that great either.
Jen3n
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I would say that this is better than the movie, but they are peeeety much exactly alike. The graphic novel could have been, and probably WAS, the storyboard for the film.

Well drawn, engaging story, several moral lessons snuck in under the radar and with little-to-no preaching. Also, it made me cry. So there's that.
Mza
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ha-yow! I don't get what's going on yet, really -- a new-age-y love letter to an Earth unspoiled by industrial processes, filtered through a Charlie-Brown-esque admiration for the perfect girl, maybe -- but this dog can draw like, buh-chow! It's a shame the art is reproduced so tiny here; the air battles pop off the page, but if they were bigger, they'd be bigger.

• Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 14: Demon Mask  (Usagi Yojimbo, #14)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Planetes, Book 4.2  (Planetes, #4.2)
  • Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound (Appleseed, #2)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001
  • Ode to Kirihito
  • Please Save My Earth, Vol. 1
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (Perfect) (4 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 2