Start by marking “The Mesmerist (The Mesmerist, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mesmerist (The Mesmerist, #1)

The Mesmerist (The Mesmerist #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  445 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Unable to find stage work, actresses Cordelia Preston and Rillie Spoons need to find a way of making a living. Cordelia remembers the skills of her aunt and sets out to be a phreno-mesmerist, advising couples on their compatibility and enlightening women on The Gentle Intricacies of the Wedding Night'. Cordelia finds that she does indeed possess the gift for mesmerism, and ...more
400 pages
Published April 5th 2007 by Sphere (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mesmerist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mesmerist

Jane
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully entertaining drama, set in 19th century London; and it’s a lovely warm story, full of emotions, light and shade, drama and suspense.

Cordelia Preston and her oldest, dearest friend, Rillie Spoons, were actresses, but they had both had passed the first flush of youth, and they found that that the only roles left to them were hags, crones and elderly mothers; and that they were expected to be so grateful that they could at least still work in small, provincial theatres for der
Jae
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a thoroughly good yarn woven around the social and economic history of women in 19th Century London. I enjoyed the feisty characters and the good-humoured spirit and general warmth of the story telling. It's the first Barbara Ewing book I've read, finding it by chance in a second-hand bookshop, and it won't be the last, as the next book on my list is the sequel: The Circus of Ghosts.
Lesley McCullough
I picked this up in a sale for 33p and wasn't sure what to expect as I had never read Barbara Ewing before. I found it a bit slow reading at first as I couldn't really get interested in Hester and Kitty's story. However when Cordelia's story began to unfold the narrative became not just more interesting but moved at a much faster pace. The story was eventually intriging and I'm glad I stuck with it.
Melanie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite Barbara Ewing book, bring on the port.
Deborah Swift
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the library, knowing nothing about Barbara Ewing, but just liking the sound of the story. And I have discovered a great popular writer, who I see has just published another book, The Circus of Ghosts. Obviously lots of other people know how great she is, because it is currently sitting in the number one slot in Smith's. So yes, I have bought that one too.

The Mesmerist has been brilliantly researched and gives insights into the Victorian craze for mesmerism with its then
Dawn Barton
A very good read. This is about two out of work actresses Miss Cordelia Preston & Miss Rillie Spoon who struggle to get work in Victorian London. Cordelia inherited the ability from her mother to ease people's pain and suffering through the power of her hands and sets herself up as a Phreno-Mesmerist. But when a murder happens close to home, it threatens to reveal the secret of her past and a family she once lost - secrets that if revealed could have an impact on the Royal Family itself.

Cord
Linda
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Human beings can only carry so much pain.” Yes Ms. Cordelia Preston and you have had more than your share. The pages open to introduce us to Ms. Cordelia Preston and Ms. Amaryllis Spoons soon to be out of work aging actresses by trade. But they are great friends. Mesmerism is on the rise in 1838 London. Using their acting skills the two friends open their own business with Cordelia as the first and only female mesmerist. Sought after by the upper classes it seems the two friends success is unst ...more
Casilda
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didnt know what to expect when I started reading this. Its been on my tbr pile for about 2 years, bought from a charity shop. I also knew that the author is an actress but has not been seen on TV for some years now. I was very pleasantly surprised - Barbara Ewing really can write. I got into it straightaway. The main characters, Cordelia and Rillie, both ageing out of work actresses, were very strong, the plot was good and you want to know more about them, their backstory being gradually revea ...more
Brian
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly entertaining novel set in early Victorian London, the Mesmerist is the story of an aging actress with a colourful past as the mistress of a lord. Discovering that she has the ability to take away people’s pain, she swaps the theatre for consulting rooms in Bloomsbury. It’s all going swimmingly until her past returns to haunt her. The story is full of vividly painted characters, and bustles along at a rollicking pace. It is funny, poignant and distressing by turns. At times I found t ...more
Audrey
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating book, it is set in 17th Century London, it's a mystery, an old fashioned melodrama and romance.

I enjoying learning about the art of Mesmerism and how it was used to help put patients at ease during surgery.

The author does an excellent job of recreating 1838 London I really felt I was there and could even smell the filth and grime in the streets as Cordelia Preston and her best friend make their way through London trying to make their fortunes.

The trials and tribulations Co
Stacy
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really did love this book. Probably one of my favourites by Barbara Ewing. I just couldn't put it down. I loved the characters and I just love reading about England in the 1800's. The Mesmerism side of it was very interesting as I didn't really know much about it. The main character, Cordelia had such tragedy in her life. This book made me cry quite a few times. Life can be so tragic but the human spirit can be so strong. This is a perfect example of the human spirit. I hope you enjoy it as mu ...more
CS
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Wannabe Victorian gothic noir in which the most interesting parts of the story are told, not shown, in expository flashback. Lost my interest long before the actual story got into first gear, but skimmed/skipped through most of it to see it got better. It didn't.
Terri
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Lovely, gripping, fast-paced story, and a great portrayal of women's friendships. Memorable characters and fantastic descriptions of London, but suffers slightly from tipping over into total melodrama towards the end.
Alison Smith
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Engrossing Victoria melodrama involving the theatre, mistresses, the nobility, Mesmerism, murder, women breaking thje cl;ass barrier, scandals - set in London. A terrific read. Recommended.
Judy Brunner
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish it, found it very naïve and not well written.
Mary
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have reviewed this book on my blog. It is a fantastic read.
Kate
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this for $1 at the bookshop and because of this, was a bit wary.

After a slow start, however, I was engrossed and entertained by this novel. The beginning is really slow and I almost gave up on it but I caution readers to press on!
Kang Uni
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
mengagumkan dan mengesankan
Isla Scott
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book mostly. I found it to drag a bit towards the end - I was glad to finish it but I enjoyed most of it. It features some interesting characters and there are one or two plot twists that kept me guessing. Its quite descriptive but not in a long and unnecessary way, in a good way.
Riris Fadilah
Agak kecewa, soalnya sekilas dari judulnya terkesan paranormal, tetapi ternyata berbau-bau drama, nothing fantasy, tapi lumayan ceritanya walaupun agak boring pada awalnya. Ada sedikit hal-hal yang bisa dipetik.

Berkisah di tahun 1838, merupakan kisah babak drama kehidupan seorang Cordelia Preston, wanita ahli hipnotis sekaligus phrenology, yaitu ilmu untuk mengetahui watak dan kemampuan seseorang dengan mempelajari bentuk tengkorak kepalanya.

Bersetting di Bloomsbury, London, Cordelia dibesarkan
Sandra
Esta sinopse levou-me ao engano. Peguei neste livro a pensar que seria principalmente um livro de mistério e crime e o que me foi desvendado foi algo diferente e muito mais complexo do que imaginava.

Em primeiro lugar devo dizer que NUNCA compraria este livro, não estivesse ele em promoção. Sendo o preço normal dele uns 27,81€ acabei por encontrá-lo a 5 euros na FNAC. Que grande diferença, não é? Quer me parecer que cada vez mais querem extinguir por completo o leitor que compra livros, lê e comp
Kristen
A terrific story of a woman on her own, with few prospects in Victorian-era London who nevertheless manages to make an independant life for herself and her family.

This was a really engaging, well written story with almost all the main characters being plucky, determined strong women who manage to overcome all sorts of difficulties, tragedies and bad luck to build a good life.

Miss Cordelia Preston starts out in life as the daughter of an actress, and eventually, as she has only her mother and her
Fionab
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love love love Barbara Ewing - and nothing in this book detracts from that. She has the incredible and enviable ability to weave a seemingly simple story among the bold images of a giant and complex tapestry. Her attention to detail and historical accuracy in all her novels, whether set in 1950s NZ or cholera-infested London, are so well woven into her stories they always seem they could have been written in the time they were set.
I was dubious about the subject matter of The Mesmerist, as th
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a nice surprise! I picked up this book randomly from the library and it turned out to be an enormously complex tale taking place in 19th Century London. Cordelia Preston is an aspiring actress trying to get some parts in recent plays and surviving in an environment that is austere for women.

She meets a Welsh Lord and they fall in love with each other. However, actresses not being accepted as respectable members of the society, Lord Ellis would never marry her. She is very much surprised wh
ash
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy God I loved this book!
The Mesmerist by Barbara Ewing was a historical novel about Cordelia Preston and her friend, Rillie Spoons. Both are middle aged actresses, out of work and doing poorly. Soon Cordelia falls into the mystery and new business of mesmerism, something her aunt had done before her. However Cordelia has a past that's just brimming with secrets, threatening to spill over. One dead body later, Cordelia and Rillie's lives are flipped over and they're thrust into a whirlwind of
Kerry Hennigan
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Barbara Ewing’s tale of London by gaslight is an engrossing combination of historical fiction, humour and murder.

Former actresses Cordelia and Rillie, set themselves up in business in a basement in Bloomsbury. In Victorian England this is not only something of a novelty, but a scandal. Cordelia is a phreno-mesmerist – she judges character by the bumps on the heads of her customers and becomes sought after as an advisor in marital matters for innocent young women approaching the
Soli
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, reviewed
3,5
Me es difícil hacer la reseña de este libro así que escribiré los pros y los contras:

Pros:

- Mujeres complejas, con secretos, tristeza y esperanza.
- Encontrarse con el pasado y mirar hacia el futuro.
- Me encanto como cada personaje influía de una manera u otra en la vida de nuestras protagonistas.
- Representaba bien las condiciones de la época, (view spoiler)
Barb
The beginning of this story showed promise with interesting details and characters but the way the history of the characters was revealed with flash backs, flash forwards, and flash back to the previous generation was a bit awkward. There was also a lot of telling and not a lot of showing which I could have forgiven if the rest of the story was well done but when Cornelia Preston's best friend Amaryllis Spoons reveals two major events in her life that she never shared with Cordelia before I had ...more
CF
Aug 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
My, what a delightful read. The light and flowing use of language and character development is very well done. Miss Cordelia Preston and Miss Amaryllis (Rillie) Spoons are two out-of-work actors looking for a way to make money in mid 1800's London. Cordelia's aunt, Hester, had a special gift for Mesmerism, and in time, Cordelia realises she does too.
After learning about Cordelia and Rillie's heartbreaking stories respectively, the story picks up with the girls funding their very own Mesmerism b
Dayana
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I didn't know what to expect from the book and I just pick it from a bookstore because I like the book cover. The story was not very interesting for me but I like that the author research in details about the particular time the story is taking place. This made the story for me very realistic and it was easier for me to imagine how people lived back then. After this book I feel lucky that women were able to fight and gain equal rights with men. I was touch with each personal story of the women i ...more
  • The Journal of Dora Damage
  • A Most Dangerous Woman (Sarah Tanner, #1)
  • The Fiend in Human
  • A Dark Dividing
  • Fixing Shadows
  • Electricity
  • Kept
  • India Black (Madam of Espionage, #1)
  • The Painted Bridge
  • Elijah's Mermaid
  • House of Echoes
  • Gillespie and I

The Mesmerist (2 books)
  • The Circus of Ghosts (The Mesmerist, #2)