Start by marking “Heralds” as Want to Read:
Heralds

Heralds

Powerful forces are converging on Earth and the women of the Marvel Universe are at the center of it! Years ago, a herald of Galactus sacrificed her life for the universe. Little did anyone realize, a shred of that spririt lived on...and now she's back for vengeance on those who abandoned her. The most powerful super heroines of the Marvel Universe must put aside their ...more
Published October 13th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Heralds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heralds

Start your review of Heralds
Jeff
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Sisters doing it for themselves!!

*sigh*

I hate when male comic creators throw together an assortment of heroes and expect magical things to result and if they’re women, no matter how disparate the group, it’ll work. Because they’re women, there should be some special ingredient = Estrogen (?) = character chemistry = instant camaraderie and teamwork.

I had two sisters and they never got along. If one thought she was cheated out of an extra French fry or was missing a pair of Barbie shoes –
Patrick
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
The writing was good. Unfortunately, this was one of those comics that requires you to know a lot of backstory to understand what's going on. I know a fair amount of marvel stuff, but the particular history of the Nova character is a blank to me, so a lot of this story was lost on me.
Joseph
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
*Buddy Read with the Shallow Comic Readers, theme of Pink Taco week, criteria being a book with a female lead*

description

Well, I have come to the conclusion that Kathryn Immonen is the Marvel equivalent to the New 52 Anne Nocenti. This is the third book of hers I have read in a couple of days, and they are all hard to follow, with weird, disjointed dialog, and awful characterization.

Part of the problem here is that Patsy Walker (aka Hellcat) is a part of this all-female cast. What an annoying character.
Craig
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one "those" books, the ones that have a whole lot of promise and potential that is never quite realized. The start is very engaging; Scott sets up Emma with a surprise birthday party, and the character assortment should have made for a classic story but things take several turns for the confused when Frankie Raye/Nova and then the F.F. appear. The art wasn't bad, but, like the story, could have been a lot better.
Charles
Stuff I Read – Heralds by Kathryn Immonen Review

I got this book for a few reasons, not least of which was that it was on sale at the book store and I could pick it up for fairly cheap. But I had wanted to read this book for some time now, mostly because of the buzz I heard about it when it was coming out, which described it as something of an oddity. And I find that, reading it now, it is an oddity. Not because of the story, which is solidly in the realm of traditional superheroics and rather
Ramon
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
My biggest frustration with this book is that it's so obviously meant to launch something else, whether it was the new Nova or a new Nova book or what have you, but it comes across as slapdash and inconsequential. It's not new-reader-friendly, and I've been reading Marvel Comics for 30 years. They seem to just gloss over things of import (like S.W.O.R.D. making clones of humans? and their wanton slaughter?), there's a page completely out of the blue about a lovers' spat featuring characters who ...more
Jen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Erik McManus
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was kind of unimpressed with this graphic novel. I was looking forward to it when I read that it was about a bunch of badass, strong female characters but they didn't really live up to the badass part. There were barely any intense fight scenes. It was just lacking in a strong story arc.

The one thing I liked was Valkyrie and the comments she makes in every dire situation. She doesn't seem to understand being subtle due to her Norse heritage and it comes off in an entertaining way.

You could
Craig
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the interactions between Hellcat and Valkyrie from DEFENDERS, and the Hellcat & Monica interactions from DIVAS, and recent HELLCAT and SHE-HULK books emphasis on the eponymous characters' relationship. This is sort of the starting point for a lot of it, with two very good artists.
Russell
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great stuff! Beautifully drawn. I wish I knew who Nova was so that the story could hit me harder. Still, I'm bummed there's not more from this series.
Raina Madison
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
It may seem I'm in the minority but I really loved this miniseries. I've always been a comic book reader but as I grew up I strayed away from Marvel, DC and most super hero comics in general. I'd dabble here and there but most of the characters of my youth no longer hold much interest to me beyond the nostalgia draw.

One character I really loved growing up was Frankie Raye aka the third Human Torch. She later became Nova, herald of Galactus to prevent the earth from being devoured. Nova always
Michael Miller
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Dean
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was ok, but felt more like a wasted opportunity. The writing was pretty decent, especially some fun dialogue, but none of the characters really felt very 'real' to me, like their normal selves. They were caricatures to serve the plot mainly. The story was wafer-thin (hey, let's bring back Nova, the murdered ex-Herald of Galactus/ girlfriend of Johnny Storm) and not obvious to people without knowledge of previous Fantastic Four stories.
The art I found a bit too 'messy' for me, quite often
Ashley
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
For a plot that didn't have much substance, it was still a lot of fun to read a story where all of the important characters are women. And they were interesting and complex, which makes a nice change, too. While not much else stood out about the story (most of the characters seem to draw on tropes, and the plot had an interesting premise that was resolved in an unsatisfying way), it was a good fluffy read and a light introduction to the Fantastic Four and some of the X-Men, and all of the ...more
Iain
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
As much as I like Immonen's writing, this is a somewhat... crowded affair, with too many characters left hanging in the background and too little space in five issues to give everyone a meaningful moment while allowing the main plot to breathe. It could, and should, have been trimmed back to a group of three or four instead of seven plus.

That's the main problem: but on the other hand, the characters selected are awesome, there are some genuinely funny moments, the main plot has some heft and
***Dave Hill
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
A lightweight romp noteworthy mostly for having an array of very different Marvel heroines (White Queen, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Hellcat, Photon, Abigail Brand) into amusing verbal byplay, while dealing with the odd kindasorta resurrection of Frankie Raye, the deceased herald of Galactus known as Nova.

That plotline never gels substantially, but listening to the rest of the women banter is entertaining enough to carry me through to the end, despite loose artwork from Tonci Zonjic.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Wiki Frankie Raye, then enjoy Emma Frost, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Sue Storm, Hellcat, Photon, and Agent Brand kicking ass and taking names for five issues. It's a delight. The art changes every issue, which bugged me, but at least they tried to make the styles mostly match.

I'm not 100% certain the whole story really holds together well, but seriously, with that line-up going out curb stomping, how do you not pick it up?
Benjamin
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love that all of these great characters were thrown together but the whole time I felt that I was missing a lot of the back story. Especially with Nova and Fantastic Four, yet I haven't read much of either so maybe that is me but this volume was slim so a back story could have easily been added for first time readers.
Alex Sarll
One of those faintly inexplicable miniseries Marvel sometimes do; I'm not sure if it's a confusing read because it hinges on an obscure character of whom I was previously unaware, because of Immonen is not that fluid a storyteller, or because it has various artists of whom none seem to get all the characters right at once. Probably all three.
Gabrielle
I liked the idea of having an all women team. However, this book came across as very disjointed. It never seems to be completely together.
The fact that this book seems to want me to have a large amount of knowledge is also a pretty big deterrent. I have little to no knowledge of the Nova character.
Jessica
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Wow! Quite a surprise. It made me want to learn more about the characters involved. I was unfamiliar with one of the central characters, which may have been to my advantage.

This is one of those quirky superhero comics, embellished by indie flavored art. The banter among the women is fun and the different tones are well handled.

Tammy
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
I had no idea what was going on in this book, and I found the art to be unpleasantly sloppy. Kind of bothered I spent money on this one.
Katy
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this because of the all lady lineup but the Nova/Frankie story was a bit confusing for a Marvel noob such as myself. Great to see Emma so well written.
Paul Landriau