Start by marking “We Don't Live Here Anymore” as Want to Read:
We Don't Live Here Anymore

We Don't Live Here Anymore

When awkward teenager Charlie Hudson is beaten up during a family holiday at the beach, beautiful Tess Bailey rescues him - and sets the unusual course in his life. In this startling debut novel, Matt Nable follows the fortunes of Charlie, Tess, and their families and neighbours. Their lives intertwine, unravel, straighten, and become tangled again. A father tries to reliv ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Penguin (first published June 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about We Don't Live Here Anymore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Don't Live Here Anymore

Jodie
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Sad and touching and incredibly moving. There is a lot to love about this book, the writing is really good, especially for a debut novel. I do think there are a few too many moving narratives, too many characters to keep a hold of, and even at the end I would still sometimes get confused over who Glenda was and who Carol was.

The overall feeling of plain everyday life and all its rocky paths and mad internal dialogue is delivered beautifully in this book. But, holy cow, it is sad, sad, sad throu
Mark
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed the most recent novel by this Australian author, I wanted to go back to his debut. The style and premise was the same - a dramatic event introduces us to a cast of characters whose lives interact with and are affected by the event. In this book, an assault and an accident set off the stories of characters in a coastal community. The plot unfolds in discrete chapters based on the various characters. The chronology is a bit jumbled, however each chapter reveals a new part of the sto ...more
Book Bazaar
A story that weaves between the different characters as the focus for each chapter. We meet a whole range of people from a small seaside town and follow them through a period of roughly twenty years. The novel is full of small town shames and fears and the end of the dreams of many of them. Very carefully plotted. I wanted to know what was going to happen to many of the characters but must admit that there may have been a few too many followed as I lost track of a couple of them!
Clio
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A bittersweet yet hopeful novel, meandering and dipping between characters, times and perspectives. Each chapter adds a new layer to the characters we know, through a glimpse in the past, or present tense narrative. Loosely follows a group of yearly beach holiday-makers, giving the reader voyeuristic insight insight into their lives and dreams.
Gripping and engaging family drama.
Sara
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another book randomly selected from the library. Written by an ex rugby league player. A great debut novel. It tells the story of two very different families and their very unpredictable lives. Great descriptions which allow you to really empathise with the characters.Very hard to put down!
Tracey Jones
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantastic debut novel from ex football player and actor ( he played Gary Jubelin in Underbelly Badness) beautifully written.
Deb Bodinnar
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this novel but must admit got a little confused with swapping from character to character. Love Matt Nable as Actor which is why I've tried his novels.
Amanda
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
A little hard to follow with the amount of characters, perspective changes each chapter and skipping backwards and forwards in time.

Loved the easy to read style of his writing though.
Amanda Toyer
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
It was ok. Way too many characters though.
Sally Duncan