Start by marking “Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget” as Want to Read:
Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget

Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget

Practicing Witchcraft doesn't have to cost an arm, a leg, and a broomstick!

From homemade tools to frugal feasts to thrifty home decoration, Deborah Blake offers economical tips and suggestions for stretching your dollar while enriching your practice. She gives clear, simple instructions for making your own magickal oils, runes, tarot cards, candles, jewelry, charms, and
Published September 8th 2010 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Witchcraft on a Shoestring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchcraft on a Shoestring

Start your review of Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your Budget
Gail
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchy-stuff
A practical, sensible book for practicing the Craft of the Wise. How is it wise to go many dollars into debt for your tools and accoutements? Not very. Blake provides us with a delightfully humorous and practical guide to being a good witch without acquiring bad debt, karmic or otherwise. Recipes, crafts, and advice from a wise witchy woman who really knows her stuff! It's on my essential bookshelf and I use it.
Wadeana Beveridge
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Food for thought

This book is useful for witches and non-witches alike. It's a reminder that the joys in our lives dont necessarily come from the materialistic THINGS we buy but how we intent ourselves to be. How our wants, drives, and efforts are the main resources to have a good life or a good Craft.
Crystal
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I'm only on the first chapter of this book, and I absolutely love it so far. And the added humor makes it a greater joy to read. I can't wait to read the other two books I have of hers! And purchase the ones I don't.

Bless & Blessed Be!
Sandy
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ms Blakes books never disappoint another great read full of great useable information!
L.A. Jacob
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Although most of the things I already know, being a frugal Yankee myself, this is good for people who want to feel vindicated if they don't buy that pre-dressed candle they see at the Pagan/New Age store. You can find a lot of the spell work and rituals online now. You don't have to give your paycheck to Llewellyn. Some of the books she mentions are necessary for beginners and good for reference.
SA
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a great guide, and still largely relevant 9 years after its initial publication; it would be great to see a second edition with updated ideas as a ten-year anniversary copy.
Cathy Addley
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book if your just starting out on your journey
easy reading
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2019
It's a good well written book with lots of info but I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. But I'm a thrifty witch!
Gracie
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very useful information and tips for a witch with a part time job!
Jeanette
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A pretty good beginners guide to being a frugal witch. It does include quite a few crafty ideas with directions and a few recipes. I copied down a few to try but most were pretty basic.
Moon Dance
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All who are into the Craft should add this book to their collection, along with her other 2 books "Everyday Witch A-Z" and the companion spellbook. "Witchcraft on a Shoestring," is a valuable, informative, easy going, relaxing reference book. I have enjoyed all of Deborah Blakes books on the Craft. She makes the reader feel at ease when learning or just refreshing your skills.
It is not difficult to follow nor difficult to understand, like some of the other books out there. And I have read many
Rebecca Brown
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those truly interested in practicing the Craft
I don't like this book; I LOVE this book! It gets down to the heart and soul of witchcraft, you don't need a lot of paraphernalia to practice your craft, all you need is YOU! Not everyone has a bunch of money to blow at the local magic shop, or even have access to a local magic shop, but Deborah has reminded me of the most essential truth; you have to make the most of what you've got to manifest into being what you want or need. This book is a permanent part of my collection. Thank you Deborah ...more
Kimberli Trenholm
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I have to say I'm obsessed with Deborah Blake's books. She makes Witchcraft so down to earth and reminds us that everything we do is magickal is someway if we choose to make it so. Even though this book is finally in my 'read' list I have a feeling I will come back to read this book time and time again. The projects are things I will revel in repeating, the recipes look like things I would eat even if it wasn't a feast day. She makes me want to be part of a coven when ...more
Shar
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-good
This is very much a how-to, actionable guide, which I appreciated. Could have been more tightly edited. It covers pretty much everything from recipes to appearances. Even people who aren't actual practicing witches and are just intrigued by the concept could learn a great deal from the ritual aspect of the book.
Stupid Fox
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pagan
It's not a bad book at all. It's a good book. But as a thrifty witch myself, I learned nothing new from this book. Not bad if you're unimaginative or generally very new to witchcraft such that you may not have had much call to think through a lot of things yet, but mostly this is a rehashing of advise that I myself have often given, so it was not, for me, very helpful.
Brittany Starr
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I carry this book with me everywhere I go and show it to everyone new that comes to my circle. With the way the economy is today this is one of those books that is a great read and help! I have lent this book to friends that needed it and it always comes back to me! I love it!
Friday Gladheart
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good, creative ideas and easy to read.
Stephanie Cottom
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
so far i am loving the entire attitude of this book :)
Metagion
Lots of great ideas and recipes to try for those of us Pagans on a limited budget! I'm going to pick up a copy and try some of them (like the bread pudding)!
Ash
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wicca
Very informative and helpful! I love Deborah Blake's writing.
Melissa
Loved it!
Sage October
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Gave me permission to used every day tools, and to enjoy yard sales.
Jenn
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchcraft
I really enjoy her books.
Athena Macmillan
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not as great as I imagined it would be. Author falls back on very safe, basic, fool proof techniques and offers no route for extending one's practice using these methods. Good for absolute beginners.
Joy
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cool tips, many that I never thought of. What I like the most was the many resources (catalogs, websites), that the book listed.
Leannear24
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: wicca
there were quite a few interesting ideas about how to enjoy the craft without spending a lot of money
Wavylips
Jun 04, 2019

• Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • Selected Poems
  • Witchy Crafts: 60 Enchanted Projects for the Creative Witch
  • The Secret Language of Stones (Daughters of La Lune #2)
  • Leather & Bead Jewelry to Make: 30 Cool Projects for Bracelets, Pendants, and More
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Healing Jewelry: Using Gemstones for Health  Well-Being
  • Emily Dickinson
  • The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • The Library of Light and Shadow (Daughters of La Lune #3)
  • you are safe here.
  • Please Don't Go Before I Get Better
  • The House Witch: Your Complete Guide to Creating a Magical Space with Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • WTF is Tarot?: ...& How Do I Do It?
  • Servicing the Target (Masters of the Shadowlands, #10)
  • The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks
  • A Little Bit of Palmistry: An Introduction to Palm Reading
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
Deborah is the author of twelve non-fiction books on modern witchcraft and a tarot and oracle decks from Llewellyn and the Baba Yaga series, The Broken Rider series, and the Veiled Magic series (mostly from Berkley) as well as a few stand-alone novels.

Deborah lives in a 130 year old farmhouse in upstate NY with multiole cats, and runs an artists' cooperative shop when she's not writing. She