Start by marking “Sixty Things to Do When You Turn Sixty: 60 Experts on the Subject of Turning 60” as Want to Read:
Sixty Things to Do When You Turn Sixty: 60 Experts on the Subject of Turning 60

Sixty Things to Do When You Turn Sixty: 60 Experts on the Subject of Turning 60

Sixty Things To Do When You Turn Sixty is a collection of essays that speaks to the reader who has or will soon turn 60. The collection includes essays that are practical, covering subjects like health care, fitness, finance, and business, and also essays that are more reflective, more whimsical, or more reassuring ? or just plain laugh-out-loud funny. All royalties are do ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Sellers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sixty Things to Do When You Turn Sixty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sixty Things to Do When You Turn Sixty

Linda
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Happy Birthday to Me!
Alas, I will not be doing much reading because I will be busy -- questioning everything and following my passions, learning new tricks and rejuvenating my mind. And starting a business and getting rich quick -- and milking my cash cow. And being a saint. And, thankfully, keeping my sense of humor.
Joanne
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, in which many authors, all specialists in various fields, write a short chapter about some aspect of turning sixty. There's financial advice, as well as advice on relationships, doing what you want, and more. While I greatly admire the person who quits his/her job and packs it all in to go trek about the world, it isn't something I would do. I would try yoga or meditation and certainly would do more traveling, it puts everything in perspective.
Clynell Reinschmiedt
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book of short essays, divided into nine topical sections--each prefaced by a song guaranteed to take you back.
Section One "Get Back" (The Beatles, 1969) This section leads off with a great essay by Garrison Keillor called "Be a Grouch". The essays are well-written by people of note in the fields of both the physical and the metaphysical. It's our bathroom book:)
Helen Patrice
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Thought this would be a lot more amusing than it is. I could do without the pious attitudes in some of the essays, the whole 'go find yourself and be thankful to the universe'. I was looking for outrageousness, and found middle American values.
Susan
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me forever to finish the last chapters and now I am closer to 70 and need a book 70 things to do when you turn 70.
Suzette
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I only liked about one third of the book--had nice insights, etc. Another 1/3 of the book (especially about health issues) was stuff I already knew and heard 1000 times. The last 1/3 of the book was totally unattainable for the average person (of course an ex-CEO can start their own business in retirement!).
Laura Boudreau
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book giving a variety of aged 60 folk the opportunity to share their experiences. One finishes the book feeling that hitting 60 is not necessarily the depressing milestone many make it out to be; it's more the point where you determine which path to take next.
Ruth Cuadra
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was hoping for inspiring stories about changes people made and risks they took to continue their lives and not wind down prematurely. Instead I got everything from spiritual preachiness to "have a baby."
Ray Clark
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many of these essay anthologies can tend to be a bit lame. I found this one to be an enlightening exception. Once you get past Garrison Keillor's advise to "be a grouch," most of the pieces contain pretty solid advise.
Vivian
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
As usual with this style of book some of the essays grab me more than others. Good laughs and some serious ideas to consider!
Carol D
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Getting ready for the next chapter. :)
Rita
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Great collection of stories from famous and some not so famous 60 somethings!!
Marie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-boomers
"Find your island. Shut out, peel away, and focus. Find the quiet so your inner voice can be heard loud and clear. That's where you'll find your island."

"Choose your mantra."

"Explore the natural landscapes where you live."

Sally
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays, nonfiction
An uneven collection of essays. Not badly written and, varying from person to person, some will appeal, others will not.
Ellen
May 26, 2018
Leona
Sep 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
“I will allow others to be there for me. I will share my feelings. I’m not allowed to fake it! I will view the world as a positive place. The cup is half full, not half empty.” 2 likes