Start by marking “How to Drink” as Want to Read:
How to Drink

How to Drink

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

In the past few decades, many of us have become sophisticated about food, but we have not given the same attention to what we drink. In How to Drink, Victoria Moore aims to redress the balance, by showing how to drink well throughout the seasons and at all times of day.

She explains how to make the most delicious coffee and juices; how to choose wine that complements your f

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How to Drink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Drink

Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2013
I went with the lower rating for this (I was so tempted by "it was amazing!") purely because I felt a bit silly giving it an amazing rating. Which is, frankly, ridiculous. But, that is how it goes.

Anyway, I really did love this book. Even the bits about drinks I don't enjoy. I read, and enjoyed, an entire chapter about whisky, which is a drink I want to like and just don't despite trying it again and again in different forms. There was an entire chapter on tea! And it included parts on how teaba
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book about drinking the best of everything--cocktails, spirits, coffee, tea, etc. The British author breaks it down seasonally and includes great recipes for drinks, plus a few for food to accompany it.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Frothy, light entertainment with a bit of a fruity edge. There's a couple of receipts in here which are like gold, which has bumps up the rating a bit, but I personally found the body to be a bit heavy on the meaty side (not good for vegetarians). If you love food a drink, it will be your cup of tea.
Amanda Morgan
I’m all for knocking back a few 32 oz. mugs of the local brew pub’s finest pale ale every now and then, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I ordered a cocktail. Therefore, I found “How to Drink” intriguing as well as informative, and also appropriate seeing how New Year’s Eve is right around the corner.
Moore is touted as Britain’s brightest young wine critic, however in this book she also touches on numerous other alcoholic beverages, as well as tea, lemonade, coffee and numerous fruity drin
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I am slightly conflicted on this. For one it really isn't much of a book, once you take off the hard cover and get rid of the pretty big print illustrations, index and other padding it's a collection of scribbled notes (or bits of old journalism) and not really something I suspect most people read cover to cover, though I did.

Here's what I liked about the book:
Moore makes the case early on that we devote an enormous amount of literature to food - but despite a few specialised areas (wine or perh
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember where I got the tip for this book. It was either online somewhere or a newspaper article. I'm just really glad I followed it up.

This is a book that helps to fill the whole in the drinks world not covered by wine or cocktails. The food world is well served by the number of books dedicated to it. The drinks world is badly served in comparison. If you're looking for a book on wine, well you could choose from 100's of titles. Cocktail recipe book, hundreds. But not every drink is wi
Dacă o gospodină adevărată trebuie să ştie cum se prepară, aranjează & servesc cel mai bine zecile de borcane de pe rafturi, la fel de bine ar trebui să înveţe acum cum se păstreze (tot pe rafturi) sticlele de băuturi şi cum se le servească precis asortate la mâncărurile deja învăţate – spune Victoria Moore.

Şi citind Ce bem? Totul despre băuturile alcoolice şi nealcoolice mi s-a confirmat ce bănuiam deja: cu băutu’ nu te joci sau, mai simlu, băutu’ nu e treabă uşoară. E un ritual! Nu vorbim
Catherine Woodman
Fun book, and both my son and I read it--I think he liked it more, and learned more from it. The stories are funny, and the information is solid--kind of a British centric world view followed by a leaning towards European view of beverages--but that said, it depicts it well. She has a much better handle on gin than either bourbon or tequila, for example, and actually has a half a dozen things to do with Campari (some of which sound intriguing, I might add). The food pairings are reasonable, if n ...more
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just don't read this kind of stuff. The snobbery is strong with this one, and when the author actually makes fun of others writers/critics for their snobbery? Oi!

I mostly read it for some mix of reading something completely different, and for my own writing background, like for a voice I don't think I could quite capture myself.

I guess it makes a okay introductory primer for a slew of foodie books out there. I got what I needed from the tone and voice of the book, but I'm not sure I'd recommen
Josh Hamacher
Dec 31, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
This book was available on as a free Kindle download. After reading several breathless five-star reviews I eagerly downloaded it. According to those reviewers this was a guide to pairing drink with food, a subject I'm interested in.

It really isn't that kind of book.

What it seems to be about is what the author, who I had never heard of, drinks with her meals. And her tastes in both food and drink are very, very different from mine. Some people might find the suggestions to their taste
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was free on my new Kindle so thought I'd give that a shot before I blew any money on it. That said, this book is fascinating. I read the whole thing in a day without realizing it - and I'm fairly certain that wasn't due to the novelty of my new smug reading device. She breaks down everything and makes me want to become a drink snob. I'll likely be revisiting some of the seemingly exotic yet highly accessible drink recipes here.
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-drink
Downloaded this because it was free and it seemed like an interesting premise. It wasn't really the book I was looking for though - it's mainly cocktail recipes with a little background prose. I wish there had been more attention given to non-alcoholic drinks. I wish there had been parts about drinking rituals like toasts and cheersing and what have you. I wish there had been a discussion of bottles and cans and the rare instances when the can is what you want. But at least it was free.
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A humorous and opinionated ride through drinking, alone and with guests. Heavy on alcoholic beverages, but also with thoughts on tea, coffee, and non-alcoholic refreshers (and even some recipes for food). At times its Englishness was a foreign language (especially in phrases and brands), but it was overall delightful and I hope I do not quite get to all the drink she has recommended. At least this weekend.
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is extremely readable, while also providing plenty of recipes and essential information about brewing coffee and tea, choosing wine, and stocking your bar. There’s something for everyone, from how to make Campari less bitter to why you shouldn’t drink Champagne in a fluted glass. I loved that the book is organized by season, which took me back to the days where you could tell what time of year it was by whether I was drinking a gin & tonic or a bourbon & ginger. Good times.
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, simply because it puts into prose the history and origin of all types of beverage. Cookbooks are a tremendous amount of fun for me, and there are recipes for drinks and accompaniements all through this book.
Sunder Strouse
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, creative and full of must have info! I really don't say this very often, but I need to own this book!!
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will keep this beautifully written on my reference shelf in the kitchen. Exquisite writing for cocktail fans, foodies and passionate entertainers.
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd feel the need to read a tome telling me how to drink.. Its a lovely book. I especially liked the tea and coffee advice.
I love Victoria's wine column in The Guardian and this is a comprehensive canter through all types of beverage. Bit brief perhaps.
Rachel Wheatley
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in drinking!
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Informative while keeping the writing style light and adventuresome. Nice read.
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a gorgeous little book, both for the content and the illustrations which are comprised entirely of antique type.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easy reading, fast, and absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed every second, and I have referred to it in conversation ever since. Excellent journalist, who writes a great book.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me some good ideas for new drinks to try (and some ideas how to improve some old standards).
Julia Nolan
May 07, 2017
Dec 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cooking from China’s Fujian Province: One of China's Eight Great Cuisines
  • Old Havana Cookbook: Cuban Recipes in Spanish and English (Bilingual Cookbooks)
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations
  • Royal Wisdom: The Most Daft, Cheeky, and Brilliant Quotes from Britain's Royal Family
  • The Everything Potluck Cookbook (Everything Series)
  • Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions
  • Final Moments: Nurses' Stories about Death and Dying
  • RX from the Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • Options for the Beginner and Beyond: Unlock the Opportunities and Minimize the Risks (Financial Times (Prentice Hall))
  • Let's Go Europe 2011: The Student Travel Guide
  • The Root of Thought: Unlocking Glia--The Brain Cell That Will Help Us Sharpen Our Wits, Heal Injury, and Treat Brain Disease
  • A Stingray Bit My Nipple!: True Stories from Real Travelers
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: The Craft, Culture, and Ethos of Brewing, Portable Documents
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook Presents: A Magical Christmas Menu

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99