Start by marking “The River Road” as Want to Read:
The River Road

The River Road

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The mighty chronicle of a fabulous family--the hot-headed, hot-blooded d'Alverys, and of the skeleton-ridden house where they were born.
Published June 9th 1970 by Corgi Publishers (first published 1945)

Becky
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
FRANCIS PARKINSON KEYES… Over the years I've bought and read most of her books, and I've never been disappointed. I can see how some readers might think her writing is slow. That's because she takes time to give rich details of the time period, her settings, and the backgrounds for her plots. Her impeccable research is second to none. But that's not why I love her work so much. What she does best is tell a great story. In the end, that's the difference between her work and that of lesser writers ...more
Teryl
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teryl by: My mother
The stories of the lives of the lives of the people of Louisiana were endlessly fascinating to me as a teenager. The way people who did not speak French were patronised, Italians were not socially acceptable for example, but the way the women rose above their disadvantages and second class status was inspiring. I am going to try and find her books and reread them.
Christina
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Carole Benjamin
Excellent novel about the lives of some plantation owners living on the River Road near Baton Rouge, Louisiana just after the Second World War. Keyes does a great job of showing us the traditional role females had to play in the characters of Merry and Regina, compared with strong, contemporary women such as Cresside trying to make her way in the World. We are also given an insight into the workings of a sugar plantation and even introduced to some of the political figures of the time- Governor ...more
Paddy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not comfortable rating this book since I fell in love with when I was in fifth or sixth grade, but Keyes was among my go-to shelves in the library during my intense adolescent historical fiction phase. God knows what I'd think of it today, but I don't want to revisit this territory so I'll let sleeping dogs lie and award it two stars.
Nathalie Nelson
Since I am a native of south Louisiana I enjoyed reading about the places and the culture that I know about. I read it so long ago I don't remember much about the story. I bought it because I had enjoyed Crescent Carnival by the same author but I remember being somewhat disappointed that River Road was not as good.
Judy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mom had this on her bookshelves, where it's lived for a good many years. One hot summer when, when I was in high school I decided to read it. Unfortunately, or maybe tellingly, I remember more about the weather that week than I do about the book. I won't be reading this again.
Jthornchrist
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago and loved it. Whether I would enjoy it as much now, I do not know.
leslie beaird
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this Author and I LOVED this book!!! Just my kind of book, wish I could find more books to read like this!!!
Karen Lucier
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best novels of the South and southern living.....
Peggy
Jun 18, 2011
Patricia Burroughs
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • The Hearth and Eagle
  • The Final Planet
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • Return to Paradise
  • Land of Marvels
  • Ethan Frome and Summer
  • Captain From Castile
  • The White Flag
  • The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm