Start by marking “The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

The Magician's Nephew

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  364,108 ratings  ·  11,224 reviews
The secret passage to the house next door leads to a fascinating adventure.

NARNIA... where the woods are thick and cool, where Talking Beasts are called to life... a new world where the adventure begins.

Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends the
Published 1995 by Scholastic (first published May 2nd 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.
The Witch Woman For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of…moreFor me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
Air I did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began…moreI did! This quote was pulled from the Harper Collins Website: "Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. Harper Collins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred."(less)

·  364,108 ratings  ·  11,224 reviews

J.G. Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Justin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's mildly embarrassing that I've lived almost 32 years and I've only read one book from the Narnia series. Well, I guess I've read two now, but I feel like I should have read those a long time ago. As an adult, it's difficult to even rate this book fairly because the adult version of myself wants to be all critical and make comments about how this isn't Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but it's not supposed to be. And that's fine with me.

Is this the first book in the series! Is it the sixth
P
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, young-adult
“No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice.”

I loved the narration of The Magician's Nephew, it's clear, imaginative, and addicting. This book took me book to the time when I was sitting and listening to my grandma's tales. She always told me about folklores. I can still remember the story about there's a ghost hiding in the closet, it made me so scared and never ever wanted to open the closet alone again.

This book literally made me feel like that. I kept wondering why I did and figured
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6), C.S. Lewis
The Magician's Nephew is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Bodley Head in 1955. It is the sixth published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956). The story begins in London during the summer of 1900. Two children, Digory and Polly, meet while playing in the adjacent gardens of a row of terraced houses. They decide to explore the attic connecting the houses, but take the wrong door and surpri
Manny
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
James Trevino
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that make you feel good on a bad day. It just puts a smile on your face, whether you read it for the first time as an adult or you relive some of the moments of you childhood through it. And no, I am not that old, even if here I sound like I am ancient hahaha :)
Julie
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't been to Narnia in 11 years, and I wanted to take my daughters there for the very first time this summer, so I called my son (my Narnia expert) and asked him if I could skip The Magician's Nephew this time around, when I read it to his sisters.

My son was an only child for 12 years, (before the Disney princesses, Pocahontas and Jasmine, arrived), and I read to him, every night, religiously, for an hour, including C.S. Lewis's Narnia collection.

He's in college now, and he's a very respec
Dannii Elle
I have owned this beautiful set of illustrated hardback editions of these books since childhood and am only now getting around to reading them. After reading this spellbinding first installment I am so mad at myself that I have missed out on entering this world for so long.

I decided to begin reading this series in chronological rather than publication order (as per the numbers on my books) and I am so glad I did. This brilliantly sets up the rest of the series without giving any spoilers of what
Adrian
Oh gosh, how many years must it be since I last read this book, 30 ? or more, who knows, but I zipped through it like we were the closest of friends who met every day. A true joy to read, that is how writing should be.

Probably one of the lesser known Narnia books but the start of the series none the less and our first introduction to Aslan, and a delight to read. 5 stars all the way.
I had no intention of starting this series this year or even anytime soon, but I saw the boxed set on the shelf
Eyebright
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: 2008-books, classics
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
Ida
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting Narnia while writing my Bachelor thesis was probably not the best idea..

description

The Magician's Nephew follows Digory and Polly as they discover Narnia, how Narnia was created, how the lamp-post got there as well as the evil presence we know from the first movie, and also why the wardrobe is magical.

description

I love how the story was being told, and I kept hearing Liam Ne
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Jo
I first read these books at about ten years of age, and I remember that for the most part, I loved them. The Magician's Nephew is actually the sixth book of the series, but was written with the intention of it being a prelude, to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which, back in the day, was my favourite of the series.

I enjoyed reading just how Narnia was discovered, and meeting Aslan himself. He is probably my favourite character in Narnia. It was interesting to have some question's answered
Juli
For Christmas when I was 9 years old, my parents gave me a box set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I read and re-read those books until they literally fell apart. I loved the magical story of Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, the White Witch, Mr. Tumnus, Eustace, Prince Caspian, Reepicheep, and all the other lovely characters in the series. I re-read this series every few years because the stories are still incredibly enjoyable for me. Religious allegory and symbolism never enter my head as I read this ...more
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf
Reading with my little girl. :)

The formation of Narnia, of certain rings, and a lion's song. :) And, of course, apples.

In certain ways, I liked the more than the first time and less as well. The first half was an awful old slog that had me as bored as my daughter while we were in dreary old England.

But once we got to the fight in the streets and the chaos that drove the group to empty Narnia, I think we were both pretty excited. From then on, too.

Quite nice to experience the backstory this way.
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This b
Annie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

Elaina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've gotten so used to always having a new Narnia book to read when I feel in the mood and now I only have one more book to read. Then I'm finished! It's kinda sad actually lol But I really had a good time reading this one! Definitely another favorite! But who am I kidding? I've LOVED every Narnia book I've read thus far xD I would love to see this as a movie along with some of the others. I hope they continue making them! Anyone else feel the same? :P Great book all-in-all. Loved getting to see ...more
Piyangie
I'm not really a fantasy fan, but I have always wanted to read the Chronicles of Narnia, especially after watching the movies.

The Magician's Nephew, although 6th in the publication order, chronologically it is the first in the series. I read that C.S. Lewis himself had recommended reading this as the first in the series. Although written way later than the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, I can understand why the author wanted the readers to start his Chronicles with Magician's Nephew.

Here the rea
Nadine Brandes
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this to hubby. He is now, officially, a Narnian.
Allison Tebo
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
UPDATED REVIEW: Very excited about this one! :)

INTRODUCTION –

Once, The Magician’s Nephew was only three stars. It used to frighten me. It was different from the other Narnia books. But there were parts of it I liked very much and I tolerated the rest of it because it is, after all, Narnia.

Then I read it again at the beginning of 2018 and enjoyed it in a way I had never been able to before . . . and raised my rating to four stars.

I didn’t think I wanted to read it again in 2018, but since I pla
AnnaMarie
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
Alex
“A damn fine woman.”

The Magician's Nephew is about the beginning of Narnia. Two children, Polly and Digory, are pushed into an adventure that leads to an unexpected, magical world by Digory's Uncle Andrew. What do the children's curious eyes discover, and what mishaps lay before them? The Magician's Nephew is the prequel to the Chronicles of Narnia.

At first I was unsure where to begin. Should I start chronologically here with The Magician's Nephew, or should I start by publication with The Lion,
Annabeth
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was a really great reread! I noticed so many things I didn't when reading this as a kid, mainly the religious symbolisms of Aslan, the Witch, uncle Andrew etc.
A short but very enjoyable story :)
Loran (Inked with Curiosity)
I somehow missed out on reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a child and recently my roommate bought a box set of the entire series so I figured what better time to amend my ways? I honestly didn't know anything about Narnia when I started The Magician's Nephew because I haven't seen the movies or read the books before and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. C.S. Lewis writes with such a fun and whimsical style that I was drawn into the story pretty quickly. My favorite thing abo ...more
Marie
I loved the Chronicles of Narnia as a child and was excited to read this with my 8 year old son. As a child, I thought it was so magical and amazing that these children got to escape to different worlds. As an adult, I now see the parallels to the bible, and the messages it is intending to teach. The end of the book becomes a retelling of sorts of the story of the creation story from the bible. I must say my remembrance of the book was that of a 5 star read, but in re-reading it, I can only give ...more
Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

My mom used to read me THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE when I was a little kid. I had always assumed that that was where the story began and it wasn't until fairly recently that I'd learned there was a different order to the books apart from publication order, where you could read them chronologically, in the order that the events within happen in the Narnia universe.

THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW was the second to last book published but is
The Next 5 Things You Should Do For Vital Keto FranceSuccess 1 1 Jul 07, 2019 09:42PM
5 Amazing ketoviante Hacks 1 2 Jul 06, 2019 02:01AM
Knowing These 5 Secrets Will Make Your Virilaxyn Rx Look Amazing 1 2 Jul 05, 2019 09:26PM
The Time Is Running Out! Think About These 5 Ways To Change Your Aegis Vitality Keto 1 1 Jul 05, 2019 01:45AM
Where to buy ketoviante ireland 1 1 Jun 27, 2019 02:48AM
Magician's Nephew Review 5 31 May 22, 2019 12:18AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children #2)
  • The Warlords of Nin (The Dragon King, #2)
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Secret of the Indian
  • The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)
  • The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • DragonQuest (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain, #5)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1715 likes
“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1495 likes