Start by marking “Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Eccentric, coldly rational, brilliant, doughty, exacting, lazy—in full bohemian color the world's most famous literary detective and his loyal companion Dr. John Watson investigate a series of previously unrecorded cases in this new collection of original tales. In the Scottish Highlands and Afghanistan, in the cases of a dying doctor and a mooning sentry, of a black basal ...more
Published October 15th 2002 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder, My Dear Watson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder, My Dear Watson

Pamela Barrett
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: if you love short tightly written mysteries
A treasure chest of short stories and interesting knowledge about Sherlock Holmes. Each perfectly packaged story is a thought evoking treat. This is a must read for those who can't get enough of Holmes and Watson.
Kayt
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
If the previous Holmes anthology by these same editors was horrible, then happily they learned: this collection is much more satisfying.

Interestingly enough, the book starts off with a foreword that recounts Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's words: "You may marry [Holmes:] or murder him or do what you want with him." Between this and the previous, barely-mediocre collection, I was afraid of more bad stories. Luckily, the majority were good.

One of the stories took a non-Watson view of the story, which I e
Darlene Cypser
I am often disappointed by collections of Sherlock Holmes short stories. They often contain a number of stories that I do not consider worth of publication or not yet ready for publication. Many collections, including this one, are padded with Sherlockian essays. I like to ready essays as well but I don't like to mix them.

I have started looking at anthologies in a different manner. I now consider whether there is at least one story making the purchase of the book worth while. In this one there
Jc
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A team of great collection editors and writers put this stash together. Not recommending this for those just learning of Holmes. But, for those well versed in the Canon and it study, this assortment of short stories and essays is a great find. The tales are for the most part unique (one even features the original Sherlockian actor, the great William Gillette) and well written, featuring such authors as L.D. Estleman, Colin Bruce, and Daniel Stashower. OF special interest are the essays, touching ...more
Cyn Mcdonald
Originally published in 2003, which makes the essay on "Sherlock Holmes on the Internet" both amusing and sad. How far we have come since the days of the "listserv"!

The stories on the whole are pretty good, but not especially memorable -- although it was a curious coincidence that I had read The Maltese Falcon shortly before encountering "The Adventure of the Rara Avis".
Annie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm a Holmesianphile so I enjoy anything Sherlock-y.
Lattisha Fox
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sherlock
Honestly, only one story and one of the essays were worth reading. Not terrible, but there's much better anthologies out there.
Riju Ganguly
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Same hash, same kind of stories, enjoyable at first read, and then you forget them completely.
John
Jan 01, 2010
David Ruffle
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
  • My Sherlock Holmes: Untold Stories of the Great Detective
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes, The Missing Years: Japan
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of The Hound of the Baskervilles
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...