Start by marking “Judgment of the Grave (Sweeney St. George #3)” as Want to Read:
Judgment of the Grave (Sweeney St. George #3)

Judgment of the Grave

(Sweeney St. George #3)

GRAVESTONE EXPERT SWEENEY ST. GEORGE'S latest adventure finds her in historic Concord, Massachusetts, investigating a confusing and grisly murder. When the body of an unidentified man dressed in the uniform of an 18th century British soldier is found in the Concord woods, Sweeney can't help but want to know more. Soon, with the help of a young boy who has secrets of his ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment of the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment of the Grave

Start your review of Judgment of the Grave (Sweeney St. George #3)
Lorraine
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who enjoy cemetery mysteries.
As I read a biography of an early 18th c. Southern Maine stonecutter, Bartlett Adams earlier this year, and I am enjoying this series so very much, Sarah Stewart Taylor’s Judgment at the Grave
(Sweeney St. George #3) is a pleasing surprise as it is a mystery involving a mid-1700s stonecutter who becomes a member of the the American Revolutionary militia at Concord, MA, but who dies in 1775 when the Redcoats are confronted by The Concord Militia or ‘provincials’ as the British refer to them.
Robyn
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do mystery writers believe their female characters need at least a dozen love interests? I don't know about you, but I just don't meet that many people I find attractive in the normal course of things. Aren't there potentially more interesting questions in a story than whether or not two people are going to have sex or fall in love, or is that just me?
Chris
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The mystery itself was reasonably well done, though the ending was weak, and there was kind of a melancholy to the whole thing. Granted, murder doesn't exactly lend itself to cheeriness, but it seemed like everyone - including the detectives - had really messed up lives. Somehow the historical side wasn't as strong as I was expecting, either. Ah well.
Barbara
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review_Judgment of the Grave

I think these books are well written. The mysteries are complex, intriguing and the author offers insight into the characters as perspective changes among the major characters in the book. While Sweeney does get involved in solving the mystery, she is usually brought in because of her expertise. Since her work often involve her researching aspects of funerary art, so she just get a bit carried away sometimes and can’t stop researching when she is consulted.

At
Cooper
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
There was a lot going on with this story, but it all came together in the end. This is my first book in the series (this is book #3 in the series) and I found the characters to be interesting, complex, and flawed. The storyline and mystery definitely kept me guessing and as a good mystery should, had me thinking at one time or another that everyone could be the murderer.

Sweeney St. George is a Harvard art history professor who has come to Concord, MA to research eighteenth-century headstones.
Larraine
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've fallen in love with this short lived series and have two more to read. This is such an interesting and literate series of books. I guess I can understand why it apparently didn't do well. The author is now writing childrens' books. So unless she lost interest in the series, I can only assume that it didn't sell well. That's too bad because a reader can learn a lot. Sweeney St. George is an art historian whose specialty is grave stones. She is in Concorde researching Josiah Whiting whose ...more
Martha
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Morwen
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, _read-2013
Gleich vorneweg: mir hat das Buch wirklich gut gefallen - vermutlich aus dem gleichen Grund, warum es manchen nicht so gut gefällt. Die Autorin konstruiert den Fall sehr sorgfältig um die amerikanische Unabhängigkeitsbewegung des 18. JH. herum, und nimmt sich ebenso sehr viel Zeit, die einzelnen Akteure zu charakterisieren: kaputte Ehen, alleinerziehende Polizisten, krebskranke Kinder. Für viele Leser hätte man diese Teile sicher rigoros kürzen können, und stattdessen den Kriminalfall schneller ...more
Terry
Sweeney St. George's latest adventure finds her in historic Concord, Massachusetts, investigating a confusing and grisly murder. When the body of an unidentified man dressed in the uniform of an 18th century British soldier is found in the Concord woods, Sweeney can't help but want to know more. Soon, with the help of a young boy who has secrets of his own, she's looking into the 230-year-old disappearance of a local stonecutter who was one of Concord's famous Minutemen. But when her sleuthing ...more
Jenn Estepp
the third sweeney st. george mystery. they're decent darker cozies, although not as strong as some of the more literary books that i think they're akin.

for the most part, things that bugged me in the first two books have been pared down. that said, sweeney acts really stupidly at the end, and that kind of pissed me off. and there's melodramatic bits that you can see coming for miles and miles. that being said, i'll totally read the fourth and maybe keep an eye out for ones that come out in the
Metagion
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book EXCLUSIVELY for this reason: the character Sweeney St. George is a taphophile (someone that enjoys cemeteries) and this book highlighted the lore and the background of one of the premier stone cutters of the 1700s. Other than that, it's one of those "boilerplate" mysteries that was really good, but a little too "off track" for me (in other words there was some stuff they could've left out and it still would've been good) but a great read.
P.J. Coldren
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical & contemporary mystery, particularly if combined
Recommended to P.J. by: haven't the foggiest, it's been on my TBR shelf for ages
An enjoyable blend of historical mystery combined with contemporary mystery. I particularly relished the depiction of Sweeney St. George and her relationships with the various men in this book; sometimes it's difficult to remember, at least in fiction, that one woman can have many men in her life and not be sure at any given time which man is "right" for her. I'll be looking for others in this series.
Becky Rippel
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
Number 3 in the series of Sweeney St. George, gravestone expert and Harvard art historian. I had a friend who wrote her master's thesis on gravestone history and I find the subject very interesting! Sweeney has come to Concord, MA to study the works of an 18th century stonecutter. In a Revolutionary War area of a cemetery, she meets Pres Whiting a young boy who tells her about a reenactment taking place nearby. On their way out, they find a body in a Revolutionary War uniform.
Mark Baker
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005, mystery
Sweeney's interest in grave art leads her to Josiah Whiting, a gravestone carver from the Revolutionary War. But a researcher who was looking into Josiah goes missing. What could Josiah's secret be? Another good story with characters I like. Well, most of them anyway. I still haven't warmed up to Tim Quinn.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Sandy
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I have read out almost every author I am following at my branch library, so I decided to start some new (to me) authors, making sure I chose some with several books to their credit. This looked "cute". I am happy to say that it was more interesting than cute. Enjoyed the characters.
Patty
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I think I enjoyed this book mostly because of its setting in Concord, Massachusetts. I visited Concord last year for the Patriots' Day re-enactment and this story brought it all back. I also found the descriptions of old New England gravestones to be very interesting. Sweeney St George is an off-beat and unusual character, and I learn something new with each installment of this series.
Ruth
Aug 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Another very satisfying mystery from Sarah Stewart Taylor. The setting and the characters were very well done -- the resolution, not so much, in my opinion. I find the main character so appealing though, and the romantic sideplots so nicely handled (as usual), that the randomness of the main plot is easily overlooked.
Judy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story about an art historian who specializes in tombstones and is visiting Concord, MA, studying a questionable revolutionary war hero when 2 murders occur. She aids police in finding and interpreting clues, some of which are hundreds of years old.
Kate Rice
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this is a sweet mystery series -- of the "cozy" persuasion. The writing is solid and Sarah Stewart Taylor really brings her settings to life. I love that the protagonist is something different than the typical police detective. I'm going to read the rest of the series.
Julie Golding Page
Aug 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This series gets better with each subsequent entry. I enjoyed this mystery very much and found the characters compelling and increasingly interesting. I'm especially curious to see what happens in the future between Sweeney and Detective Tim Quinn.
Arlene Allen
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, deep characters, intricate plotting, wonderful descriptions and historical tidbits made this a satisfying read. I look forward to more in the series. I wish only that there had been more on the art of tombstone carving.
Eliza
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This was a cute little mystery, but not so great I'd want to read the whole series. Unfortunately, without investing in the whole series, the character development comes off a little haphazard.
Kirsti
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This murder mystery set in Concord, MA was a fun read for a dark and stormy night.
Annette Meier
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good mystery and characters - lots of twists and turns
Barbara James-Richardson
Sophie
Jun 08, 2014
Meg
Jan 10, 2010

• Tidings of Death at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #6)
  • The Penmaker's Wife
  • Wicked Harvest (Dewberry Farm Mysteries Book 6)
  • Open Carry (Arliss Cutter #1)
  • Twisted at the Root
  • Fire in the Thatch
  • Murder at the Mansion (Victorian Village Mysteries, #1)
  • Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic Over Role-Playing Games Says about Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • The Caledonian Gambit
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Waypoint Kangaroo (Kangaroo, #1)
Sarah Stewart Taylor grew up on Long Island and was educated at Middlebury College and Trinity College, Dublin, where she studied Irish Literature. She lives with her husband and three children on a farm in Vermont where they raise sheep and blueberries.

Sarah is the author of the Sweeney St. George mystery series, about an art historian who studies funerary art — the art of death — from Minotaur

Sweeney St. George (4 books)
  • O' Artful Death (Sweeney St. George #1)
  • Mansions of the Dead (Sweeney St. George #2)
  • Still as Death (Sweeney St. George #4)