Start by marking “Nowhere, Carolina” as Want to Read:
Nowhere, Carolina

Nowhere, Carolina (Southern Discomfort #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Maggie Pickwick is a lifetime away from her days as head cheerleader and the mistakes she made in high school. Twelve years later, this single mom has traded pompoms for an auctioneer’s gavel, popularity for peace and quiet, and strives to be a good example for her daughter Devyn. She’s keeping it together just fine, too—until an old flame moves back to her little North Ca ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere, Carolina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere, Carolina

Rel
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing brings me more delight than to pick up a brand new Tamara Leigh novel because I know that in the pages I will find enchanting characters, a meaningful story with an uplifting message and Tamara's distinctive and intelligent humour. Nowhere, Carolina steps it up a notch with Maggie struggling to make amends for her wild and defiant youth, determined to prove she is now a responsible mother and member of the Pickwick community. The return of her high school sweetheart, Reece Thorpe brings ...more
Denise
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows on the heels of her previous book, “Leaving Carolina”, which I also read. Each book, however, stands on its own. I became a serious Tamara Leigh fan after reading her award winning “Splitting Harriet” as well as “Faking Grace” (one of my all time favorite books.

I cannot make it through a Tamara Leigh book without several out loud laughs. If there were an award for author I’d most like to live next door to, I’m thinking Tamara would be my winner. She is just hilarious.....so cle
Margaret
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, this is not the sort of book I usually read: Christian chick lit. But I was drawn in by the main character. The book was inspirational without being preachy and the ending was realistic. I enjoyed it.
Elizabeth Newsom
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After all of the non-fiction I’ve been reading, I devoured this book, though contemporary romance isn’t my favorite. Piper’s a fun character with a lot of spice. I have so much to learn from Tamara Leigh’s writing and how she crafts such unique character POVs. In every book, the character has flair that spices the narrative differently. For Piper, her public relations job shapes a lot of things–especially her reading of body language. Quite frankly, Piper can be pretty unlikable and selfish at t ...more
Analicia De Anda
Not usually my style, as I don't read Christian fiction at all, but this was still a cute story that I enjoyed reading. With the exception of the last few chapters, it didn't feel like religion was being pushed on me throughout the book, which I'm grateful for!
T.M.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I planned as an ending, which made it all the better. Worth the read.
Courtney
I just finished book one in the series and immediately started on book two, Nowhere Carolina. Nowhere Carolina is about Piper’s cousin Maggie and her daughter Devyn. Maggie became a mom right after her high school graduation and is struggling to raise her pre-teen daughter especially sense Devyn is starting to ask who her daddy is. Maggie is worried the past is going to come bite her in the tooshy when her old flame Reece shows up in town to help Uncle Obe build the sculpture.

Nowhere Carolina wa
Margaret Chind
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Margaret by: reading book #1
Leaving Carolina: A Novel was my first real introduction to author Tamara Leigh and I was left eagerly awaiting the second in the series Nowhere, Carolina: A Novel. Now having finished this book I cannot wait for the next adventure in the Pickwick cousin's lives with Bridget's story, coming 2011.

Once again I giggled and in a feminine way I declare I chuckled. Maggie Pickwick is a grown up moving each day beyond what she once was and in a humiliatingly humorous fashion she attempts to be the goo
Marylin
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-reviewed
We first meet Maggie in Tamara Leigh's book "Leaving Carolina." She was one of those teenage girls who many would refer to as "the mean girls." She had a bad girl image and so her senior year it was no surprise to anyone that she was pregnant. With pressure from others, mainly her mom, she almost ended it. However God stepped in, by way of a flat tire, and introduced her to a wonderful woman named Skippy who showed her love and acceptance when no one else would.
She was blessed with a sweet littl
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
First reviewed here: http://overweight-bookshelf.blogspot....

This is an outlandish Southern comedic-drama that is penned in Tamara Leigh's signature first-person narrative that will have you chortling in a most unladylike way. Uncle Obe (who is my favourite character in this Souther Discomfort series) is up to his usual not-so-subtle matchmaking that places Maggie in a precarious position with her daughter and her former high school sweetheart.

The message of this story is that your past does no
Cathleen
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, romance
I always enjoy Leigh's books, but it seems that I can't quite enjoy them as much as I used to. Her heroines try hard, make mistakes, and (as the publisher now touts) are "girls I can relate to". I appreciate the humor and the variety of interesting characters. What makes me impatient is the way that the women seem determined to take the least direct route possible to resolve difficulties. The author may have decided that it makes for a more entertaining story this way, but I can't help but feel ...more
Myla Gilbert
Twelve years after high school, Maggie Pickwick is trying to ignore her past and move on to her future. She was a head cheerleader, and made so many mistakes that it's hard to count. Now she's moved on, becoming an auctioneer and having a daughter named Devyn. One of her newer issues was the fact that her daughter was curious who her father was, but Maggie didn't know for sure. Everything goes downhill when the one boy she had feelings for came back. He became an artist and returned to build a ...more
Bobbie O'keefe
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What did I think of this book? Delightful. Tamara Leigh surprises me in two ways. I usually don't care for first person narrative, but she makes it work. And never before have I read a book in present tense that I liked. But this one I not only liked--I heartily recommend it. Having made some bad choices earlier in her life, Maggie is vulnerable, likable, grown up and, more important, still growing. Tamara Leigh does an excellent job developing her characters. I especially liked a particular sce ...more
Suzie
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Tamara Leigh's Carolina series. Maggie Pickwick was the typical mean girl in high school. Her popularity was more important than her kindness and she made some bad choices.

Thirteen years later, Reece Thorpe, an ex-boyfriend is hired to recreate a statue for the town. Maggie's thirteen year old daughter wants to know more about her father but because Maggie is not sure who the father is, she goes about sneakily trying to find out.

It took a while to get to the Reece/Maggie discu
Just - The romance reader
I read Leaving Carolina a while back and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to learn there was a sequel. It took me a while to get a copy so I didn't remember much about the story once I started reading Nowhere, Carolina, but bits and pieces came back to me, and I loved seeing some of the characters from the first book reappear in the second and continue the story. I actually think I enjoyed Nowhere, Carolina more than Leaving Carolina, but definitely recommend reading both. The characters were ...more
Kathleen
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book of the Southern Discomfort series, the story features Piper Pickwick's cousin Maggie Pickwick and her struggle to deal with the the mistakes that she made in her teenage years, and her determination to correct them by finding her daughter's father. Maggie's journey of self discovery, self forgiveness and moving forward is an inspirational story that will touch your heart. This is a story of romance, forgiveness, redemption and freedom born of truth ... and definitely was my fa ...more
Peppa
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This really wasn't my favorite book. I was a little hesitant to begin with just because of the cover but was trying to give it the benefit of doubt. It seemed as though the author was trying to create drama for the main female character and the more she tried, the more strained it became. The character just wasn't believable and she continued to try the hardest methods to get out of the mess she created. This was a slow read as I just couldn't engage in the story.
Tanx
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started on this right after finishing Book 1, the Pickwicks are such interesting characters that I simply wanted to know more of them ;)

Just as I thought I couldn't love any Pickwicks more than I love Piper, here comes Maggie! She is inspirational, despite her colourful past, I admire her faith & determination to not ensnare herself again in the mistakes she has made.

Now... if only there is more of Devyn at the end, the story would have a more satisfying finish.
Virginia
Good solid Chick Lit. I don't normally like first person but it seemed to fit this book. With first person I never feel like a know the other characters. The character of Devyn comes thru but not so much with Reece. By the end of the book I was ambivalent about him and I think with more of his point of view this might not have happened.
Joan Graves
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tamara Leigh has a refreshing, funny voice that brings her characters to life. Written in the first person she has a unique & often entertaining way of giving the reader a look at the physical features of the main character. I loved the word of the day she inserted into this story. This was my first book I read by her but am looking forward to reading more in the future.
Sowmya Dnavis
Nice book but not very happy because the story is all about Maggie, Devyn & Devyn's father, the story goes in detail about how Maggie's life has become and the end is abrupt. There could have been little more emphasis on how Maggie's life turns after giving devyn her father. the first book about piper n axel also ended the same way...
Candice
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a character who's flawed because, face it, we all are. And Maggie has certainly made her share of mistakes. But what matters is that we learn from our mistakes, and Maggie does an excellent job of that also. Or does she? Her tangled web of past deceits is very sticky. Can a blast from her past untangle her mess for a happily-ever-after in the middle of Nowhere?
Jane
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I feel as though I might have gotten a little more out of the book had I read Leaving Carolina first (or at least understood the nudging sort of references), although it stood on its own just fine. I have come to really and enjoy like the way Tamara Leigh writes and sculpts (pun intended [as one of the main characters of this book was a sculptor:]) her characters.
Taylor
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fiction under my belt :) I loved the scripture and the way God is incorporated into a real-life situation kind of story. I actually learned a thing or two on how to be a better Christian/follower. I also loved the romance and the way Reece was portrayed.
Melissa
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Another great book by Tamara Leigh. Ms. Leigh has an incredible way of making you love her characters. They are human and are funny and have real life problems that are touching.

I can't wait to read the final book in the series.
Karol
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. While I don't think this is marked as a Christian book, it has alot about forgivenes, finding God and changing to be a better person. Lots of funny parts in the book. The main character does some silly things in the name of love.
Cookielover
Ever since I read Faking Grace, I've loved Tamara's novels. This one was about second chances, lies, and how powerful truth is. Warning: the main character's story is added to in the third book in the Southern Discomfort Series.
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I enjoy Tamara Leigh's style. Her sense of humor is evident in her books. I plan to check out the other Carolina book by her even though I already know who the character will end up with since this is book two. :)
Kristie
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are tired of heavy books, chick-lit lovers
Shelves: eassyread
At first Maggie sounds so childish it's almost annoying. In the end, though, i turn out liking it. It's hard not to be fond of Tamara Leigh's characters. Maggie, Devyn, Uncle Obe, Skippy, Reece, I seem to get to know the whole family by the end of the book and I love them.
It's a very easy read.
Carrie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, 100-2012
The ways we mess things up and scrabble back to level make the best stories...
Readers Guide 1 3 Aug 03, 2011 06:51PM
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • Back to Life (Trophy Wives Club, #2)
  • Driftwood Lane (Nantucket, #4)
  • A Shore Thing (Otter Bay #2)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • Digitalis (Discarded Heroes #2)
  • The Perfect Match (Deep Haven, #3)
  • Love Is a Battlefield (A Walk in the Park, #1)
  • At Home for the Holidays
Tamara Leigh holds a Masters Degree in Speech and Language Pathology. In 1993, she signed a 4-book contract with Bantam Books. Her first medieval romance, Warrior Bride, was released in 1994. Continuing to write for the general market, three more novels were published with HarperCollins and Dorchester and earned awards and spots on national bestseller lists.

In 2006, Tamara’s first inspirational co
More about Tamara Leigh...

Southern Discomfort (3 books)
  • Leaving Carolina (Southern Discomfort, #1)
  • Restless in Carolina (Southern Discomfort #3)
“In fact, if I let Him, my faith, rather than my mouth, could become my best asset.” 4 likes