Start by marking “Daughters of Fire: Heroines of the Bible” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Fire: Heroines of the Bible

Daughters of Fire: Heroines of the Bible

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Biblical stories of valorous women--from Eve to Yael--have helped shape the human character and spirit. Rarely, though, has the essence of these heroines been revealed as poignantly as it is in Daughters of Fire.
Fran Manushkin’s sensitive retellings of stories from the Bible and Jewish tradition portray strength and honor, but also jealousy and fear, and Caldecott Medali
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of Fire

Kayla
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
there weren't as many pictures as I would have liked. it was a good read, but the interpretations by the author might have been a little liberal.
April Helms
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really nice collection of short stories about the famous women in the Bible. There's aren't a lot of illustrations, and most are fairly simple, but well done. The stories seem best for a read-to for younger children, and independent reading for older grade school. Or, for someone like me interested in a general history. The stories are easy to follow and well-written. Very enjoyable, all in all. The illustrator won a Calecott honor this year, and I stumbled across this book when lookin ...more
Jessica Bennett
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this book was very informative. It discusses all the heroines of the bible. The text is simple enough that 6th and up could read this and learn from it. It is in chapter form with each chapter being a different character. The stories are detailed but not too long.
Nicki
This book could be so good, but it is filled with extrapolations and "extra details" that are not in the Bible. It gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I read these altered versions of God's word. I couldn't even finish it.
Brandy Gilbertson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
This book has a lot of words and is definitely for an older children's audience. The book tells the stories of honorable women from the Hebrew Bible.

*Book from text
Megan Ekins
It is the size of a childrens book, with big pictures but it is not the kind of book any child could read, it is not really a capture your attention book.
Barry Mann