Start by marking “Bed-Knob and Broomstick” as Want to Read:
Bed-Knob and Broomstick

Bed-Knob and Broomstick (Bedknobs and Broomsticks)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  9,253 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
The Magic Bed-Knob and Bonfires and Broomsticks in one volume. These are the exploits of the three Wilson children; Miss Price, the apprentice witch; and the flying bed. A tale of a witch-in-training and trouble of the most unforgettable kind.
Published September 1st 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Bed-Knob and Broomstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bed-Knob and Broomstick

lorinbocol
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bambino-a-chi
tutti gli erripotter del mondo per uno solo di questi pomi d’ottone.
il film non perde un colpo a distanza di decenni (rivisto di recente, garantisco), e quando ho trovato il libro su una bancarella di borghetto flaminio sono stata più felice di miss price davanti alla metà mancante del volume sul mago astoroth.
(emelius browne è un fantastico nome da gatto. lo opziono pubblicamente, che si sappia).
Tara Lynn
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tara by: Brad - (He gave me this copy)
I grew up watching a Beta tape (OMG) version of this movie, starring Angela Lansbury, when I was younger. When I became a little older, and many of the original Disney classics that we ONLY had on beta were lost, I was inconsolable. I didn't get to watch many of those Diney favorites again until I was a teenager; Escape to Witch Mountain, The Parent Trap, Return From Witch Mountain, The Apple Dumpling Gang. I relish these books now, as treasured memories of rainy days, curled up in my grandmothe ...more
Miriam
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, younger
I don't remember this book too well, but I know that between this and the picture-book "Bed Book" I really wanted a flying bed as a child. Life is full of disappointments.
Cheryl
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Once upon a time there were three children, and their names were Carey, Charles, and Paul. Carey was about your age, Charles a little younger, and Paul was only six." Marvelous adventure, still enjoyable decades after publication.

There's a troubling chapter about South Sea cannibals, but the book is clearly fantasy, and so a young reader is not going to imagine that there really are 'natives' as depicted... it's not even as bad as the bit from Babar the Elephant.

The themes are a bit like thos
Myles
Having loved the Disney film growing up I was pleasantly surprised to come across the original books! Since I've read The Borrowers I felt I could expect a good story. Unfortunately it was a bit of a mixed bag.

The first book, The Magic Bed Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons was a cute little story about Carey, Charles and Paul visiting their aunt in the country and discovering a neighbor lady crashed in the garden. I liked how the origin of Miss Price's witch lessons was kept se
LobsterQuadrille
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who either haven't seen or don't like the movie
I can't help comparing this book to the excellent 1971 Disney movie version(one of my favorite movies!), and while it's a pretty good book on its own, it didn't hold up to the expectations I had for it based on the film. A lot of things were changed and added for the movie, which doesn't really bother me since I think these changes gave the movie a stronger direction and more character development than the book had.

The story in general is creative and cute, and the writing style is easily read
Jessica
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is two books combined into one, which became the basis for the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I apparently read the second one, because I have really vivid memories of several things happening, including the children visiting the 1700's and the final scene. It was probably back in the late 1980's, during the height of my Borrowers mania. I had no idea that Mary Norton had written the book that Bedknobs and Broomsticks was based on . . . although it's very loosely based. The children aren't ...more
Bev
My edition of Bed-Knob and Broomstick is the 1957 version which combines both of Mary Norton's works (The Magic Bed-Knob or How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons AND Broomsticks and Bonfires) in a single volume. The first section of the book (equivalent to The Magic Bed-Knob) reveals how Carey, Charles and Paul Wilson came to know Miss Eglantine Price and the adventures they had as a result. The children are sent to the country to stay with their Aunt in Bedfordshire. One morning when they g ...more
Loren Johnson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
It's very difficult for me to rate this because I think that my opinion is a tad biased, given how much I love the movie adaptation of this. I know the film like the back of my hand, and unfortunately I believe that that's what put me off with this book in several ways. There are obviously similarities but the two are practically different stories in most respects. I have a great deal of respect for this work, and the era from which it came, however, and am not saying that it is an unenjoyable r ...more
Shiloah
The movie is very little like the book. A fun read aloud! I read this with my little Bella (11).

"I distinctly told you to stay by the bed. I've been frightened out of my wits about you. Out of my wits. I came back here, worn-out with witchcraft, longing to put my feet up for five minutes - and what do I find?"

"...don't worry Miss Price--she can't do magic with a sprained ankle."

"There should be moderation in all things--even in magic."
Eden
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Three children find out that their neighbor is a witch and convince her to make them something that's magic. Using a bedknob one of the children have, Miss Price does her magic and with it, they are able to make the bed fly. The children are happy and can't wait to begin their adventures.

Many times when I was a kid, I watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which was a fun and exciting movie that I still love to this day.

I decided to give the book a read - since I love the movie, I figured I'd love th
Bookista
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a completely unappealing story, but Mary Norton both overly complicates plot points and makes them boring. It's like she can't write a "straight" children's fantasy novel, she has to add all these qualifiers and objections to magic in it. This is one case where the movie is better than the book.
Daisy White
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid so was thrilled to spot it in a charity shop for my own children. The story starts off fairly slowly but builds brilliantly. My 7-year-old was reading by torchlight after lights out (his sign of a good book!)The character descriptions are beautifully done and the many strands of the story woven in very neatly, never losing focus or distracting the reader. Still love it!
Maria
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beach-reading
милая, но совсем простенькая, лет на 8-10
Trish
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bedknobs and Broomsticks is one of my favorite Disney movies and I was so very excited to find out there was a book before the movie. Not only a book, but that an author I had read before, Mary Norton who wrote The Borrowers, was the author.

Ms. Norton's book did not disappoint me. While quite different from the movie, we still have Miss Eglantine Price and the kids -- Carrie, Charlie, and Paul. We don't exactly get the same story, but there are enough bits and pieces from the book that you can s
Carol
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you can read this book and view it as a totally different piece of work from the 1971 movie with Angela Lansbury, which is a movie I deeply love, there is no reason not to adore it. Whimsical and delightful!
Kelsey
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both stories are highly entertaining, but book #2 makes the whole thing worth it.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Ho visto mille votle il film con Angela Lansbury (e ho la canzone di Portobello sul lettore mp3.. :D) ma in tutta onestà non sapevo fosse tratto da un libro!! Quando ho visto che la Salani lo avrebbe ripubblicato (santa Salani!) ho contato i giorni che mancavano.. Il giorno che è uscito sono andata in libreria con poche speranze (MEH. Se non si parla dei super best-seller alcuni libri vengono totalmente ignorati), invece ce ne erano tantissime copie perché l'addetta al reparto bambini ci capisce ...more
Mindy Conde
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
This was always one of my favorites growing up. Unlike a lot of kids in my generation, since this book was written in the 50's, I actually read the book before the movie came out. Though the movie was good, the book was certainly better. This was one of the first books I read where I distinctly remember being amazed at the things in the book; could these things really happen? How did she think of such amazing things? I realized that books really do have their own special world, separate and some ...more
Sharon
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow, I never read this book in my youth -- despite a tremendous fondness for the Disney film based upon it. The book and the film are quite different from one another, which is probably not two surprising.

"Bed-Knob and Broomstick" is actually two separate but related books that have been combined. In the first one, amateur witch Miss Price takes three children (Paul, Carey and Charles) to a tropical island via a magical bed-knob -- which is, unfortunately, inhabited by cannibals. The local "
Dark-Draco
I only have very vague recollections of the film, so much so that the book was a completely new adventure for me. I never read it as a child, but really enjoyed reading it now! Not sure what that says about me. I loved the story - an apprentice witch, a magical bedknob, cannibals and a trip to the past - all brilliantly written with some nice characters too. My only niggle was the older children's treatment of Paul - I really didn't get that, but I suppose child readers would probably appreciate ...more
Amanda
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely wonderful. I love Mary Norton's ability to present her characters as people you could either be or know. Her storytelling draws you in, because it encapsulates what living everyday life is like. I liked the juxtaposition of mystical and practical (maybe this is what resonates with me so much about her writing) and the unexpected turns the story takes. Also, the ending isn't perfectly happy, but I liked it very much.

Edit: I've noticed several people mentioning that they felt the three
Morgan
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, seen-adaptation
The second part of this book was better than the the first half in my opinion. I mean I liked the book overall, but the first half was boring at times and more introducing the Miss Price and the three main kids. The second part you actually started having an adventure.

I should also note that yes the movie with the same title is based on both the books. The move is a little different though with the plot. In some ways I kind of like the movie better.

This was written before the Borrowers too, prob
Catherine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would recommend watching the film.
Shelves: childhoodbooks
I so desperately wanted to enjoy this book. I adore Disney's film adaptation, so I thought for sure I would love the source material on this gloomy day. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that the adventures in the film were far more extravagant, whimsical, and fun than the few adventures in the book. It doesn't happen often, but in this case I would strongly endorse viewing the film and forgetting about the book.

Perhaps it is just me, but I also found Carey and Charles to be quite bratt
Kate
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Requiring some on-the-fly editing due to unbelievable racism, and an ending that I find quite an odd choice, this is a book where not everything made sense but I enjoyed the premise and the characters enough for three stars. Reads like two novellas squished together and has the feel of Green Knowe for some reason.
Skye
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Read this as a child and adored it, still lovely, especially Norton's witty and concise writing style, though the stories themselves were more exciting in my memory than in this reread.

Strangest thing is, I can remember scenes from these books that aren't in this edition or the Disney movie. I wonder if there is a another version out there?
CLM
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iris
Shelves: childrensbooks
When Carey, Charles and Paul are sent to stay with their aunt in the country during the summer holidays, they meet a woman in the village, Miss Price, who is studying to be a witch, and they become involved with her magic.
Danny
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
This book is almost completely unlike the movie in particulars, but can still be described as a book about three English children who find a rather prudish witch who grants them a magic bed-knob as a gift.

I enjoyed it. There's lots more time travel and brushes with tragedy.
Chris
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's by one of my favorite authors. It was actually very entertaining. I loved The Borrowers too!
Cassidy Washburn
There are two novels within this book. I only read the first one for class and it was very entertaining. I will eventually read the second one.
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • The Witch Family
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Only Opal
  • The Enchanted Castle
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • Time at the Top
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • Emily
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2)
  • Train to Somewhere
Mary Norton (née Pearson) was an English children's author. She was the daughter of a physician, and was raised in a Georgian house at the end of the High Street in Leighton Buzzard. The house now consists of part of Leighton Middle School, known within the school as The Old House, and was reportedly the setting of her novel The Borrowers. She married Robert C. Norton in 1927 and had four children ...more
More about Mary Norton...

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (2 books)
  • The Magic Bedknob
  • Bonfires and Broomsticks

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99