Start by marking “Hooray For Fish!” as Want to Read:
Hooray For Fish!

Hooray For Fish!

Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published June 6th 2005 by Not Avail (first published May 10th 2005)

Start your review of Hooray For Fish!
Trelawn
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well this was great fun. A little fish introduces to all his fish friends; elefish and sky fish and fat fish and shy fish and on and on. It's great for counting and doing colours and shapes. Will most likely get a reread in the near future.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who can resist the art of Lucy Cousins? No one, that's who. Hooray for Fish! is a great preschool readaloud, with its bright and fun illustrations and simple text. It was definitely too young for the K-3 crowd I was reading to, but the younger siblings loved it and I got the older kids more engaged by having them point to the different types of fish that were named.

Ages 2-4
Stacey
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
"Hooray For Fish," by Lucy Cousins, is a great book to read aloud to children. It is about a little fish who introduces all his other fish friends in the sea. Throughout the book, there are many different types of fish including some with clouds and some with spots. Since the book is a rhyming book it has a great flow to read aloud. Also, it is catchy and easy to read which could cause children to want to read it on there own after hearing it read aloud. I would definitely have this book in my ...more
Barbara
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreSchool
Summary (CIP): Swim along with Little Fish and meet all his fishy friends in a splishy, splashy riot of color and rhyme under the sea.

REVIEW: This cheerful and imaginative oversized boardbook with concepts and controlled vocabulary hits a little of everything: rhymes, opposites, a few numbers, colors, and patterns galore. Did you ever see fish with hearts, stars, or clouds on them? Or a peacock fish? You’ll see it all in this fun book that ends with a reunion with momma fish and ‘kiss, kiss,
Nashiea Edmiston
A wonderful choice for an early elementary fish/underwater unit. The design of this book is visually appealing for young children; big, bright, colorful pages with an effect that looks like everything has been colored in with finger paint but in a very methodical fashion, including the text. I loved all the adjectives in this book, such an easy way to introduce young children to words like; thin, gripy, shy, and curly. The end was a surprise and I loved it just as much as my 4-year old but I'm a ...more
Emily
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
At first, I hated this book. I called it a knock off version of "Red Fish, Blue Fish." But as it became my niece's favorite book, I have now read it several times and it has grown on me. There is ample time to develop difference voices to contrast the different fish named. I don't like that some fish are "fat and thin." Could we not have used "big and small?" I don't want my niece to now say hello to "fat and thin" people, but it is colorful and a quick read- perfect for a one-year-old
Ambrosia
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is pretty clearly aimed at younger kids, but unlike many such books, it's genuinely fun to read aloud. The meter does change in places, but not unpredictably so; the pages are sturdy, and the illustrations are simple and bright-colored and adorable. (As my husband commented, "It looks like a tasty book to chew on.") Plus, biodiversity!
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
My son LOVES this book
Laurice Lee
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this story Little Fish takes you along to meet all his friends. Little Fish friends are all different, colors, shapes, appearances, sizes and there are some friends that are the same. But Little Fish favorite fish is introduced in the end of the story, can you guess who this special fish could be?
-The book is fairly large but the inside makes up for that because the illustrations are just amazing. The double page spread really captures all the different fishes and the medium with the vibrant
Christy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Splosh, splash, splish, Hooray for fish! Swim with Little Fish and meet all his fishy friends in this splishy-sploshy riot of colour and rhyme under the sea. A piscatorial picture-book delight from award-winning artist Lucy Cousins. Fish-themed point-of-sale, including mobiles to create your own in-store aquarium! A hilarious, rollicking rhyme of an undersea voyage in Lucy Cousins' unique bright and bold style.
Tracey
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
preschool/toddler picture book

large colorful pictures to draw the child's eye in, with whimsical and interesting vocabulary contained in the rhymes: "stripey fish.. gripey fish.... eye fish, shy fish, fly fish, sky fish."

this is a bit long for my baby/toddler groups but would work well one-on-one or with older toddler/preschoolers.
This is a good book to read to very young children: nice, bright colorful illustrations, a little bit of counting for them to participate in, some humor, and a sweet ending with the mama and baby fish (sorry for the spoiler!). The book is neither factual nor plot-driven, it is just a fun, colorful book.
Olivia Smith
The best part about this book was illustrations. It was colorful and a good read for really young kids. As far as older kids go, I wouldn't recommend it. It seemed too similar to Dr. Seuss's One fish, two fish book. It also talked about loving the mom fish the most but for a kid without a mom, it could be upsetting.
Kathleen
My four month old listened and stared at the pictures in this one with rapt attention....probably the most attentive she's been yet. It's easy to see why, with very large colorful pictures, and almost no words. There is no story, just pictures of fish. But nevertheless a quick read and lots to look at.
Nicola
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A simple concept rendered engaging with charming artwork. I liked how it goes from reasonably simple concepts (like red fish, blue fish) through to sneaking in silly fish like ele-fish and sky-fish. The big mixed drawings also make it easy to play games like 'can you spot...' or 'what fish do you like best', 'what fish would you eat for dinner?'
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Fabulous illustrations and great word choice make for a simple and fun read aloud. This book can be easily shortened if needed.

I may like this Lucy Cousins' book the best.

Focus/Lesson Ideas: Narrative Skills/Descriptive Words, Word Choice
Storytime Audience: Family, Toddler/Preschooler, Lower Elementary School
Pair with Pout Pout Fish by Diesen
Libby Haydon
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow Ive just read this book for the first time and loved it! My 8 year old son loved it too!
Fantastic rhythm, ryhme and repetition. The illustrations are very eye catching and it really is the sort of book an EY child would engage with. It talks about different types of fish and how great they all are but the best one at the end is Mum. Lovely book to examine diversity.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This would be easy to use in a storytime and make interactive (probably for toddlers). The story describes lots of different fish--different colors, sizes, emotions, etc. And at the end, Little Fish says his favorite fish is his mom. Awww (and a cute opportunity for kisses from their grownup!)
Ashlin Edmisten
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zz2017, childrens
Lucy Cousins books always have delightful illustrations that fascinate young readers. This book is no exception. With embedded counting, identification, and rhyming this book builds literacy and math skills while staying fun and exciting. I highly recommend this for young preschoolers.
Meredith
Little Fish swims around the ocean meeting and greeting a variety of different fish.

This book introduces young readers to fish. It is filled with bright, colorful, stylized pictures of tropical fish.

There is some attempt within the text to show opposites, but there is a lot silliness in the vein of Dr. Seuss as well. The rhymes will help teach phonological awareness.
Susie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wanted to paint after reading this book. It would be so fun to let students create their own fish after seeing this. It was somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Seuss. It's amazing how vibrant picture book colors can be with advanced printing processes not available years ago.
Kady
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
This is one of the few books Emmy will sit still for all the way through every single time. There is a lot to describe, the colors are vibrant, and the mom fish is the best fish, so you know, some good ego-boosting at the end as well. Sorry dads.
Dominika
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
After few 'reads' my son quite like this book and I have to asnwer questions like ' does this fish really exist?' Nice book to learn about different patterns,sizes and shapes for little ones.
Anna Redman
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my son's favourite books. The rhymes and illustrations are so much fun.
Beronica
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for 2-3year old toddlers.
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Signature Lucy Cousins artwork, simple sparse text, and bright colors with a little counting practice and you have a great toddler story time read aloud.
Katy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Could be good for a baby storytime, but it's a little young for my group.
Emily
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my nine month old son's favourite book. We read it most nights just before bed. The illustrations are lovely and the rhyming is really fun.
Eleanor
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-years-old
The mother fish is my favorite. The one that has the baby fish.
Marissa Burkey
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Board book. Could be read to pre-k as well (longer story with more words)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • The Doghouse
  • From Head to Toe
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Clip-Clop
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Hug
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • A Boy and His Bunny
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ...more