Start by marking “Foreign Exchange (Glee, #2)” as Want to Read:
Foreign Exchange (Glee, #2)

Foreign Exchange

(Glee #2)

Can Rachel Berry rock a beret? McKinley High goes international and invites a French glee club to town - ooh la la! In this hilarious culture-clash story, Kurt gets an entourage, Finn falls for a new girl, and Puck realizes that some suave moves are lost in translation.

In this second original novel, you'll get more mash-ups, more show-mance, and more Sue in a brand-new story
Published February 15th 2011 by Poppy (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Foreign Exchange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreign Exchange

Mary
Very rarely does a television show translate well into written word, but Glee: Foreign Exchange is pitch perfect. I really felt like each voice of the cast was captured perfectly and the story flowed just as well as a television script. That said, there is no music that makes this book sing like the television show. It would have been wonderful if there would have been snippets of the song available online to go with the book. As far as this being just a young adult novel, it is better than most ...more
Sean Kennedy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm not expecting high literature when it comes to a television tie-in novel. The first book released, "The Beginning", had a lot of continuity errors with the show itself but still had the spark of the characters. This book is lacking, which is a surprise as it is the same author. And there's no logic to the plot - which, well, is kind of like the show, but still...
Hannah Timm
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Personal Response
I enjoyed the first glee book so I thought to continue reading. I loved the plot of Foreign Exchange. Foreign exchange students from France coming to McKinley seems great, and I love Sue’s sass with the idea. I would say I can relate to Rachel’s feelings of jealousy to anyone who threatens the control position. I love getting inside the mind of the character and realizing it’s not just me who gets certain feelings in situations. The only thing I don’t like about the glee book serie
Abbie
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2011
Was is particularly brilliant writing? No. Was it Glee? Yes. For that it earns 3 stars. Its subject matter is slightly above the younger gleeks. It had it cute moments, but you know what it needed? More Brit. I would love a book told entirely from her point of view.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
I still think I like the series better and guess what i still don't dig Rachel Berry. Haha!
Metzli Garcia
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Glee! It's just my thing. I love how dramatic and weird and hilarious it is. The foreign exchange is where a guy comes from a far away place which is France. There is so many plots and many twists. Everyone goes through some drama and others more than many. I love Rachel Berry and how she overreacts to everything.
Migs Fiel
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book... just... 😭 I definitely have a connection with this one. Everyone got what they deserved and Rachel Berry continued to inspire. She reminded me of my old self, a reawakening I did not know I needed.
Jaskson56
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. I can really get a feel for what it would be like to see/meet foreign exchange students. I would totally love it.
Jesse Owen
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Before I start this review(?) I have to declare (again :D ) that I love Glee, I love the stories, the music and perhaps most of all Sue Sylvester. Thinking back however to my review of the first Glee book I remember thinking that this would be perfect if we had the songs. This time however I didn’t need them, the story was interesting and engaging – I love the image of seeing the French Glee kids coming over and spending time with New Directions.

It introduces us to a whole new set of
Liz
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv-series-novel
Glee: Foreign Exchange is a great follow up novel to Glee: The Beginning, and focuses on the arrival of French exchange students arriving at McKinley High. The book starts off with Mr Schuster announcing that members of a French Glee Club from Lyon will be attending McKinley for a week. Everyone is looking forward to meeting the new students, and their arrival stirs up a lot of excitement. Kurt meets his fashion soulmates, Tina connects with a shy artist and Rachel meets her French counterpart; ...more
Sarah O'Neill
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
“Foreign Exchange”

This book was terrific! I really enjoyed how, unlike the first book, this book had a theme.
I like how the First book is an introduction of a bit about how it became glee and the school dance, and I loved it so much.
But this one I enjoyed better because we got to hear about the Foreign Exchange students that were coming here to visit, and it was really interesting imagining new people in the book.

It was interesting imagining everyone in this book
Mari - loves to read
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review

A French glee club is visiting the glee club at McKinley High. Can Rachel handle the competition? Why does Kurt get all the girls? Will Finn runaway to France with his new crush?

As I've said before I love, LOVE Glee and I very much enjoyed reading the first Glee novel so when this one showed up in my mailbox I had to read it ASAP.

This time the Glee kids is in for a surprise, but how will things work out when the French Glee club arrive at McKinley High? Mr. Schuster assigns ea
Josh
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Glee fans
This is the second in the Glee book series released for young adults that I have read. It has a decent premise, but the story feels rushed and with many other books aimed for young adults written with great detail and depth, this book feels very slight, disposable, forgettable. That's a shame. The main thrust of the plot is the arrival of a French Glee club to William McKinley High and the interaction of the two groups. And that's the entire plot. Of course, there is hook-ups, jealousy, language ...more
Stephanie A.
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, tv-tie-ins
Definitely my favorite of the 3. This is the one that's easiest to accept as part of canon, even though it's full of original characters. Because said characters (a French glee club, led by a former exchange student Mr. Schue befriended in his own high school days - that's right! he has a grown-up friend!) are all really well done. Kurt's "entourage" (composed of 3 girls who hang on his every word about fashion, evidently unaware of his sexuality) is adorable, but I'm mostly talking about Celest ...more
Maud
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any real Glee fans
Shelves: sequel
Can Rachel Berry rock a beret? McKinley High goes international and invites a French glee club to town! In this hilarious culture-clash story, Kurt gets an entourage, Finn falls for a new girl, and Puck realizes that some suave moves are lost in translation. In this second original novel, you'll get more mash-ups, more show-mance, and more Sue.

Pro's/Con's
The one con that I had with this book is that everything is kind of predictable. You can easily predict what is going to happ
Jenny
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quarter-3
Anna
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-of-2012
I got this and the first book from the public libary and since I already had it at home I read it eventhough I did not like the first one. Believe it or not, it got even worse.
The characters are dull and do not have the depth they have in the show (and even in the show they do not have the depth they should have. The way Puck was written was a joke, not to speak of the "Cheerios". Stereotypes everywhere. Rachel is annoying, Kurt gay, Mercedes is sassy, Tina shy...good lord we know!!!!
The
Chihiro Ushida
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
*headline / glee series
*4/21=20min 4/22=45min

*high school/bully/sing/international/problems/friendship/good

*Do you like singing a song? What kind of song do you like?
I like singing a song but I am not good at singing. I like J-pop and K-pop. However, recentlly I listen to One Direction and Taylor Swift.

*When you were a high school student, what did you suffer from?
I always worried about my test score and record. I think my high school, my h
Lynsey
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Mickey
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I am a total gleek and I love the TV series but these books are so basic and they are lacking plot. Also, the timeline of events totally clashes with what happens on TV. A French group of exchange students has NEVER been on Glee and it's really stupid to write about something that hasn't happened. If I wasn't such a fan of the show, I would have rated this book a 1 star. It's like its written for a first grader while the TV show is directed towards a teenage audience. I don't know if I'll read t ...more
Book Fiend
I finished the first one, and had to continue on. Both books (and then the third) are original stories, and yes, it did feel like reading an episode of Glee. And yes, I am going crazy during the summer hiatus. I am a Gleek, and I love the show - most specifically the pairing of Brittany/Santana - so, these books may be waaaay below my reading level, but they're helping during the horrible time of summer hiatus.
Stefanie Kellum
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-teens
So this is far from high literature, but if you need a Glee fix to hold you over until season three starts in September, this (and the first book) reads just like a lost episode of Glee. The characters and dialog are pitch perfect and the point of view shifts suddenly from character to character so you get a glimpse inside the mind of all of them. My only request - more Emma!
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glee, singing
Now Mr. Shue is in charge and all the kids from the show are in the club.
Quinn is pregnant, but everyone knows it's not Finn's child.
In this book, one of Mr. Shue's friends from back when he was in the glee club at the school is invited to Lima with his high school kids he teaches in France.
They have their dramas and sing their songs.
I like it.
Rebecca
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than the first one, but not a book I'd read again. I think Glee is better as a TV series than a book series. I miss the music, the expressions, the actors and just the atmosphere that this book lacks.

On the contrary I can easily see this book being made into an episode and it was kinda fun seeing how the club worked instead of reading a prequel to the series. :)
Danielle
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: glee
It was alright. Not nearly as good as the tv show, and it didnt follow the tv show 100%, which bothered me. It was a cute story, but i wasn't crazy about this. (it took me almost a month to read what should have been read in an afternoon.) Reading this just made me miss the show. I'm glad its coming back on in a few days.
Lindsay
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I know what you're thinking. No I'm not obsessed with Glee. My husband was being sweet and reserved this at the library for me. I didn't have the heart not to read it. It's pretty typical of a Glee episode. It was a fun read.
Lucy Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a huge Gleek I loved this book. I hadn't read the first one yet, but when I saw the book at a thrift store I had to get it. I read it and felt like I was watching the TV show. Definitely would recommend to fellow Gleeks!
Alex
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Even better than the first original novel! Once again, the author manages to capture each character's "voice" so distinctly, that I could often figure out who was talking without even being told.

I really enjoyed reading this, it was honestly like watching a brand new episode of Glee.
Allison
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I love the Glee TV Series and it kinda stops at that. I found it a little hard to imagine the story playing out because I'm so used to seeing it on screen I'm not sure how to imagine it though I love the story line and how well the POV's are written.
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Better than the first book, but not by much. I found the French characters to be stereotypical, with some of those stereotypes being negative. The characters from the show were less PLC this time, and the plot was somewhat believable.

• Don't Stop Believin': The Unofficial Guide to Glee
  • Finding Lost: The Unofficial Guide
  • Endangered Species (Lost, #1)
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • The Poisoned Chalice (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #4)
  • Beverly Hills 90210 (Beverly Hills, 90210, #1)
  • Archie Meets Glee
  • Loose Ends (Roswell #1)
  • The Mark of Nimueh (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #3)
  • Cam's Quest: The Continuing Story of Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice
  • Valiant (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #2)
  • Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
  • This Above All
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures in TV Writing
  • Choosing Glee: 10 Rules to Finding Inspiration, Happiness, and the Real You
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • Santa's Little Helper (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #5)
Sophia Lowell is the pen name for a talented and seasoned YA novelist.

Glee (3 books)
  • The Beginning (Glee, #1)
  • Summer Break (Glee, #3)