Start by marking “The Power of Rest: Why Sleep Alone Is Not Enough. A 30-Day Plan to Reset Your Body” as Want to Read:

This groundbreaking book takes a fresh look at the role that rest plays in the quality of your life, offering a proven program to enhance your health, help you look younger, and feel restored. The Power of Rest provides a low-cost, low-risk answer to some pressing health concerns, and is an important adjunct for those already investing time, energy, and money in their heal ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by HarperOne (first published May 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Rest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Rest

Leigh Anne
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Take a break, driver 9-5.

Getting a good night's sleep is a big part of good health, but it's not the whole of the matter, Edlund argues. The 30-day format is broken into chapters that cover sleep, physical non-sleep rest, mental rest, social rest, and spiritual rest, both at home and at work. I tried most of these on for science and found the majority of them effective. Edlund admits that not every technique will appeal to every person, but I'm still giving him the side-eye for that self-hypnosi
Gary Patton
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In order to be fully alert, alive and awake plus completely engage in the full peak experiences to which folks attribute their best memories, indeed to survive disease and heal, people must learn to "rest" properly ...not just sleep.

Going F.A.R. (creatively integrating Food. + Activity. + active & passive Rest. is a fun and powerfully productive way to do this as a conscious lifestyle.

Be wise! Become truly healthy regardless of your age by integrating the easy, fun, and powerful techniques D
Shiri
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shiri by: Limor Dori-Alon
Pretty good techniques to interleave active rest in your day in order to be more engaged when you're not resting. Message: rest is not sleep, and it is not laziness. Also, the book includes a sleep makeover which I've followed pretty successfully. I am now waking up at the same time every day (and going to sleep approximately consistently). Also, the book focuses a lot on active rest techniques which I liked a lot. Some I already was familiar with and others were totally new to me. I've been usi ...more
Cara
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I think this is a good book, but it makes me so sleepy whenever I read it! I'm dead serious. Even just thinking about it makes me yawn every time. I guess I recommend the crap out of it for all the insomniacs out there! Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see if I ever make it past the chapter on Mental Rest.

...

Just can't finish this! And it's ILL, so can't renew it, either.

His initial premise is that if we keep living in this cycle: Food-Activity-Rest (going FAR), we'll be healthier, happier,
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
I've been holding on to this book since I took it out of the library on July 19th. The author makes the point that it's not just sleep that people are missing out on but also rest. After a chapter on sleep, he goes on to discuss four kinds of active rest--physical, mental, social, and spiritual. I thought I would try some of the author's techniques, which is why I kept the book so long, but then I realized I was deluding myself. Sleep is the issue I struggle with, and rest is really not a proble ...more
Casey
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book caught my eye when it was set out by a librarian. And who doesn't need more rest in this fast-paced world? I sure do! But it felt like a book I *should* read though I didn't *want* to. No surprise that the book was hard to get through (like another reviewer said, it tended to put me to sleep!) and I was glad when it finally ended.

However, having said that, the book was definitely worth reading. Some of the advice was quite good, including a few gems that I have now added to my daily li
James Wilson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-self-help
This is a good book with some great ideas of how to rest. There is a lot of repetition and several of the techniques are very similar. Most of the helpful ideas were more like mindful meditation but there are a couple new ideas that appear to be quite helpful. I will keep this book handy to refresh the ideas as needed.
Will Turner
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Started out okay but when I got to self-hypnosis he lost me. I appreciate his focus on the complexity of rest. Rest is more than just physical but many of the suggestions and practices he sought to promote were just way too over the top cuckoo.
Wan Shoo
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book! I have been practicing the tricks suggested while reading, it's practical ! For better rest and understanding the meaning of rest, this is the book !
Jmp
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thorough. Good ideas for kinds of rest. Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Social.
Carissa
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good and logical.

This is one of the things that stayed with me (and I use it with friends as well, except for #4). I am glad that someone was able to quantify this.

1. Partner: someone who is aligned with your value and appreciates the meaning of compromised.
2. Friend: when you are friends with your significant other, you genuinely enjoy your downtime together.
3. Companion: the difference between a companion and a friend is that a companion is physically there to participate in events and
Jennifer Stroble
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting concepts about how rest can be in different forms than just sleep but the book was slow and a "chore" to read. The "FAR food-activity-rest" technique reminded me of the "EASY" technique used for babies (eat-activity-sleep-yourtime). I was hoping some of the concepts would stay with me during my down time at home and work but so far I haven't tried any of them (except to show my coworkers the gravity pose on the floor at work for fun).
Molly Moody
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I enjoyed the first part of the book, appreciated the information on how important sleep is to our health, and it helped me understand some of the challenges I face with lack of sleep. But when it came to getting me rest, forget it. Other than tiring me by the extreme litany of breathing exercises, it felt worthless.
Two Readers in Love
The author recommends getting your life into a kind of regular, musical rhythm; pay attention to activities that put you into a flow state and energize you.

The irony - which the author admits - is reading about sleep puts you to sleep, so depending on your own rhythms, this either is or isn't the right book to read before bed!
Caroline
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I am already doing 90% of what he recommends and am still tired. His FAR method wasn't actually explained as such, and there was a great deal of repetition and space-filling faux quizzes.
Kalyn
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
There is some good information in here and he explores types of rest you usually wouldn't think about (Mental and Emotional Rest) and getting it in non-typical ways. Good ideas for those of us in modern, fast-paced lives that probably don't get enough rest of any kind.
Melissa
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The beginning started out really good and I learned a lot. Then it started to get really slow and by the end, I just suffered through it.
Tish
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-like
I'm reading this for FBG homework. Interesting so far.
Walt DeGrange
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice program laid out very well. It is hard not to skip ahead and read the next section though.
Natashia
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great! I've started doing some of the techniques and I feel super rested and productive! I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Troy Lawrence
Audj
rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2013
Zoë
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Jan 17, 2018
Denise
Nov 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Energetic Boundaries: How to Stay Protected and Connected in Work, Love, and Life
  • Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health
  • Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain
  • The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse: A Breakthrough Program for Connecting with Your Soul's Deepest Purpose
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
  • The Potent Self: A Guide to Spontaneity
  • 7 Simple Choices for a Better Tomorrow
  • The Burnout Cure: An Emotional Survival Guide for Overwhelmed Women
  • One Size Fits All: Making Healthy Choices, Stepping Into a Meaningful Life
  • Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
  • Detoxify or Die
  • The Stress Free You: How to Live Stress Free and Feel Great Everyday, Starting Today
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Do One Thing Different: Ten Simple Ways to Change Your Life
  • Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets
  • LIFE: You're Doing It Wrong - Why People Don't Get Better Results from Self Improvement ... And what to do about it
  • The Twenty-four Hour Mind: the Role of Sleep and Dreaming in Our Emotional Lives
  • Food Rules: A Doctor's Guide to Healthy Eating
Dr. Matthew Edlund, M.D., M.O.H., is an internationally recognized expert on biological clocks, performance, and rest, and the Director of the Center for Circadian Medicine. Formerly a medical school professor at Brown University and the University of Texas and the author of The Body Clock Advantage, his next book, The Power of Rest, will be published by Harper One in June 2010.
“People who exercised about three to six hours prior to sleep slept better. No exercise, no improved sleep.” 0 likes
“Few nations are as in love with or, depending on your point of view, as addicted to cars as Americans are.” 0 likes