Start by marking “The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)

The Lying Game

(The Lying Game #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  38,431 ratings  ·  2,966 reviews
I had a life anyone would kill for.

Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there's nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It's enough to kill a girl all over again. But I'm about to get something no one else does--an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.

Now Emma's desperate
Published December 7th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lying Game, please sign up.

·  38,431 ratings  ·  2,966 reviews

Start your review of The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)
Maija
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it

Lets start with what I didn't like, shall we:

* crazy teenage girls who pull evil pranks on everyone
*apparently stupid parents and police that do nothing about it

description

* the idea that if you are popular, you don't have to do homeworks, teachers really hate you + your friends may too
* Madeline wasn't all that mad about her brother running away, even though she knows that Sutton is to fault
* you're waiting until you turn 18 and only then decide to have sex? Garrett wanted to have sex with Sutton, so she
Beth
I had high hopes for this one. I was in the mood for a fun guilty pleasure, a kind of Veronica Mars meets Gossip Girl. Being a twin myself, though not an identical one, I love a good twin-switch mystery. I was prepared to accept a little stupidity, a few plot holes, for the sake of a fun soap opera.

But The Lying Game disappointed me even by my fairly low standards. It just felt so...cheap. All the characters were flat clichés - not in itself a bad thing - sure we've all seen the dumb jock or the
Tylah Marie
I’m such a sucker for a these types of books! I loved this. I remember watching the show years ago and when it got cancelled I was so disappointed. I’m so excited to read this whole series so I can finally know EVERYTHING that happened!!!
Trameka
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ages 13-16
Ok, let me start by saying that I'm 21 years old and I started reading this series because I love the show Pretty Little Liars.

Cover: The cover is cute with the black background and the accents of pink. However, the images of the girls are quite juvenile, which should have been a hint that the book was most likely made for a younger age group.

Characters: I felt that the characters were introduced oddly. Names were just thrown around without any indication of who they were. I have a hard time kee
Mandy
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely addicted to the television show Pretty Little Liars this past summer. So,when I heard the author of the book series the show was based on had a new YA series in the works, I quickly added the new title to my “must read list.” The Lying Game does not disappoint. It is filled with just the right amount of suspense, teen angst, and awesome clothes* that teens are sure to love. Sara Sheperd’s latest series follows down on her luck Emma. Emma’s life in her foster home is unbearable. ...more
Raul
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
WOW!!!! SO GOOD!!! It started off a little slow and it took me some time to get into the story but once it got interesting, I was hooked!!!
Cory
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it

I don't normally read this type of book, but since I received it through a Goodreads giveaway I figured I might as well give it a try. That was a mistake.

This book is like Gossip Girls meets a very bad Law and Order spin off. I don't even want to read the sequel. And I read three of those horrible Blue Bloods books.

I had high hopes for this. But I should have done my research on the author first. Apparently she wrote Pretty Little Liars, which sounds like one of the dumbest things to ever hit
-k The Lady Critic
Even if this is only half as good as the Pretty Little Liars books were, it’s going to be amazing. I can’t wait to read this when it comes out!
Kristy
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was my sort of last chance, shot in the dark with Sara Shepard. I could not get into "Pretty Little Liars" at all and it ended up being a Can't finish book. So, I wasn't expecting much with this one... but something kept nagging at me to try it out.
Shockingly, it has been a stepping stone for walking me out of my reading slump this summer. I read it in less than 1 day. I haven't gotten into a book in a while, so this was a huge deal to me.
Is this book mind-blowingly good? No, but it was fun
Linda
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Girl finds her long lost twin, and when she goes to visit her, it turns out that she is murdered. The girl is threatened by the killer to pretend she is her long lost twin, so nobody knows she's gone, or else....
Yes, that sounds bad, doesn't it?

I managed to get myself over that improbable plot, only to find myself annoyed by the improbable choices of our main character. So many times I wanted to scream at my book, because she kept making stupid decisions.
The characters were cliché; mean rich gi
Amanda
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review can also be found here:

Wow, this is actually incredible.

I picked this up because I thought some superficial young adult trash novel would pull me out of my reading slump. This is an trash, and it absolutely worked. The Lying Game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and I've gained some respect for Sara Shepard. There's a reason her work is so popular, it's actually really good.

This had everything I wanted in a mystery, unexpected twist
Kelly-Marie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Ooo hello new series count me in. I’m a huge Sara shepard fan I mean come on I read her 17 book pretty little liars series and loved them all so dedication right there. Now there’s this series and I’ve always liked the way the main characters are like-able. Emma is a pretty cool character. If you liked pretty little liars then your going to like never have I ever. 5 🌟
Olivia
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
WOW! I liked it a lot! The characters were great and there was A LOT of funny parts. There are a few spoilers through-out, so be careful when reading this :)

The beginning was a little slow for me. I didn't get that interested until she went to meet Sutton and Sutton's friends kidnapped her to that party. I was suspicious of Laurel from the beginning. I wasn't too sure about Ethan, but I was almost positive he had nothing to do with what happened to Sutton. I liked the parts when Sutton voiced he
Jianne
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed-books
The Lying Game by Sara Shepard is a mystery-packed, thrill-suspense novel that will keep you guessing and thinking till your heads hurt. Oh yeah.

The story revolves around Emma Becker, who grew up to be a foster child. When she found out that she has a twin sister, Sutton Mercer who looks exactly like her, she went in search of her hoping that she will finally find her family. However, Emma learns that Sutton is dead. Murdered. So who has murdered Sutton? In order to find out her twin's killer, E
Gauri Dhruva
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is the PERFECT mix of mystery, romance, suspense, and tragedy!!

This book revolves around the life of Sutton Mercer that her identical long lost twin sister, Emma Paxton is living. Emma takes the place of her sister because she finds out that Sutton has been murdered. Only Emma and Sutton's killer know Sutton's dead, but Sutton's killer threatens Emma that if she tells ANYONE that she's NOT Sutton and that Sutton's dead, she's next. And so begins an exciting cat and mouse game between E
Mizuki
3. 5 stars.

The writing is effective and the story develops with a fine, steady speed, but after a while I grew tired of all the characters backstabbing each other and hiding something behind their backs...okay at first such dramas are interesting but after a while...it doesn't work so well anymore. Still, I will most likely read the next book.

PS: the murdered victim is a total and venomous bitch whom I won't walk anywhere near to. I don't want this kind of person in my life and I am not surprise
Lovely Bones meets I Know Who Killed Me

I was really conflicted on how to rate this book. It started off really strong, and I was really interested in seeing what was going to happen. Towards the middle it started to get a little boring and campy, and the ending wasn’t thrilling at all. I don’t know if I want to invest my time or money on reading the rest of the books in the series.
John Egbert
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Stupid plot, stupid story, incredibly stupid characters. You'd have to pay me to read the next book.
Houda
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

Just read this book in one sitting and I can tell from now, this series is going to be a new obsession of mine..
Danny
First, this is my first book from Sara Shepard, I haven't read Pretty Little Liars, BUT I watched the TV show and I absolutely adore it. So when I got the chance to read this book in her new series I immediately wanted to read it.

I wasn't disappointed - this was a quick read full of mysteries to discover and of course the end leaves you hanging in the air and waiting for the next book.

The story is told from a dead girls Point of View. Sutton suddenly wakes up seeing a girl that looks exactly l
Trinity
Holy Moly!!! Have you ever read a book where you are just sitting still reading the pages, feeling like you can't breathe after every word? This is exactly what this book did to me! It is such a page turner!! I need the next book and I need it now!!!

Emma:
Okay, Emma is our foster girl who is Sutton's twin sister, she soon finds out Sutton is dead and is being threatned to play as Sutton or she will die next. There are so many suspects you have no idea which one to trust!

Sutton:
I have to be hones
Manbir Gill
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book totally deserves a 5 STAR.The only reason i gave it 4 stars is because i didn't get to know the murderer in this book, i was reading this book so desperstely because i thought i will get to know who is it by the end but i didn't which was so dissapointing but that explains why it's a series.GOD! I wonder how long do i have to wait to know the murderer.Anyway this is my first mystery book and i totally love it, this book has raised my opinion on mysteries.I loved this book from the very ...more
Waukesha
Jul 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I actually finished this book on July 28 but I never updated bc I was hoping it would get better. It wasn't a huge book but there was not enough mystery to the mystery. I like PLL so I was hoping this would be great. I was disappointed
Lexy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was good
Lori
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-arc
Secrets, lies, drama, and murder. Really, what more could you want? Sara Shepard is the master of YA mysteries and she definitely doesn't disappoint in The Lying Game. Emma is foster kid who has been moved from one home to another ever since her mother abandoned her. Sutton is a wealthy spoiled rich girl who has it all. Until she was murdered. When Emma finds out about her long lost twin sister she goes to visit her and gets forced into impersonating Sutton. Someone knows she's not Sutton and th ...more
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Nope.
Cliff Hanger: Yes

In Depth

Best Part:
Ghost Girl!
Worst Part: Mean Girls!
Overall Feels Felt: You dumb; Wowwww; Oh snap!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes
Misc.:

Short Review: Well since i finished PLL i figured i should tackle another series by Sara. This has a different feel to
Kathryn
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-realistic-fic, ya
The latest series from Pretty Little Liars author, Sara Shepard. Pretty meh overall. Beginning was shaky with dual narrator technique being ineffectively utilized and confusing. Early events are convoluted and greatly stretch believability. However, as the story progressed and the mystery was further developed, the book improved.

Like Shepard's other books, there are a lot of pop culture references, label-dropping, and teens from overly privileged families. If this isn't your bag, definitely a
Kristin
I didn't know this was going to be a series.... I'm a bit confused how it's going to be stretched out over multiple books, because even when I had a chapter or two left, I fully expected everything to resolve, then... it didn't.
It was well written, and definitely intriguing, but I sort of feel like I'm not trendy enough for this series. A lot of the brand names mentioned I'm sure are supposed to be famous, but it did nothing for me because well, I don't spend money on things like shoes and sun
Carrie Stewart
Aug 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Let me begin by saying that I only read this because I needed it for a challenge. I started her other series and got half way through and realized the everybody was so screwed up and not going to change. Which is what we have here. Unlikable characters who make me want to punch them. By then end of the book we still don't know who killed her but honestly I don't want to keep reading to find out.
Do you think I should continue the series? 17 136 Mar 05, 2020 04:33AM
Nook books: February 10, 2017 1 1 Feb 10, 2017 01:51PM
I need to get book 3 through 6 1 5 Mar 03, 2016 11:16AM

• Rosewood Confidential: The Unofficial Companion to Pretty Little Liars
  • Glück und los! (Lina und die Sache mit den Wünschen #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • They All Fall Down
  • Schweig still, süßer Mund
  • Superhelden.nl (Superhelden.nl, #1)
  • ME BEFORE YOU
  • Gossip Girl (Gossip Girl, #1)
  • Lipstick Apology
  • Heute sind wir Freunde
  • Wie ich in High Heels durch die Zeit stolperte
  • Just Like That
  • Rooming With Ash
  • The Lying Game
  • The Time Capsule
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Blood Territory The Death of Jimmy O'Connell
  • LoveSick
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She has lived in New York City, Brooklyn, Tucson, Arizona, Philadelphia, and now lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.

The Lying Game (6 books)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)