Start by marking “Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions” as Want to Read:
Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions

Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions

In our rushed, stressed society, it's sometimes difficult to spend meaningful time as a family. Now Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill offer new ways to foster a sense of togetherness through celebrations that honor the sacredness of life and our Mother Earth.

Goddess tradition embraces the wheel of life, the never-ending cycle of birth, growth, love, fulfillment, and dea
Published February 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Circle Round, please sign up.
Gofita No. It's a parenting book for Pagans (or anyone who wants ideas on celebrating the earth or sabbats, etc) on ideas to celebrate Sabbats with your…moreNo. It's a parenting book for Pagans (or anyone who wants ideas on celebrating the earth or sabbats, etc) on ideas to celebrate Sabbats with your family and young children. Obviously, it has a philosophy but I would never call this a philosophy book.(less)

Tova
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is something I've read around Sixteen times. Every season my mother reads me the stories. Some of these stories have shaped my life is so many positive ways! Thank you mom!
KimberlyRose
Thanks to my unique struggle with religion, I had to seriously think about what faith (if any) I wanted to present to my daughter, what I wanted to say about the celebrations and customs our culture holds with nary a thought to "is this what I have chosen to believe or what I accept as fact due to early domestication?" Automatic, default behaviours, mimicking whatever came before me, was not going to happen.

I was raised as a strict isolationist Christian, and, finding those beliefs severely crip
Polly
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
While this book earns points as being an important work - a much-needed reference for a growing number of Pagan families - and one of the first of its' kind, I found it to be of average quality and content.

Aside from the retelling of stories through the book, it was difficult to tell if it was being written for an adult audience or for pre-teens. It seemed to fluctuate back and forth.

There were many wonderful songs, stories and activities, along with ideas for building Earth-based traditions wit
Abby
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirtual-new-age
This book is amazing! I pick it up over and over again. Bought it on a trip on a whim. Have spent a weekend with Starhawk and she is truly magical. This is a great way to learn about the earth based spirituality that she practices and teaches.
Feel like there is a strong lack and need of ritual in our modern life and want to raise my child with spirituality outside of religion. It is very comforting and helpful to have a guidebook. Love the different perspectives and experiences of the three diff
Sara Reed
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for beginners or those who are trying to raise their children in the wiccan/pagan life style and need help doing so. Though I will warn that this book is from a feminist view. The stories are lovely and my own children love them. There are some fun crafts to do and great teachings of each holiday. There are some great songs to sing along to. This is something I would suggest for a family not as much for without children. Great book I give others this book as presents when ...more
Hayley  Brentmar
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't really read this one cover to cover, because it is more of a reference guide. Rather, I just skimmed through it. But it seems like something I'd like to have around the house to refer back to in the future.
Amy
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book for raising families in pagan traditions. The CD that was created along with this book is so, so beautiful as well.
Gofita
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read this book over the course of a few years while I've taken ideas to celebrate the Earth and start some family traditions with my family. Each Sabbat contains stories to tell, crafts to make, food to cook and bake, and songs to sing. It's been very easy to make each one my own according to my family's needs. Even though we aren't Pagan, the activities and stories are very relatable and adaptable to whatever you need. Great resource.
GooseberryCompote
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a reference. I paged through it.
It is full of great activities, songs, rituals, explanations specifically for celebrating and working with children in an Earth- and Goddess-centered religious way.
Though the authors are working firmly from a Reclaiming neopagan perspective, many of these activities could be used by anyone, of any faith or not, to learn about and celebrate ecology and the feminine.
Willow
My family users this book all the time. Our child pulls it off the shelf for songs regularly, and she always loves the stories we read for the sabbats.
Sarah Louise
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let's say 4.5 for its creativity and relatability. I wish there were more resources like it.
Brandann HillMann
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
What is to say about Circle Round? It isn't really a book you finish. It is both a great primer for a young one who is of competent reading ability who wants to learn about Earth Traditions and is a great guide for a parent or guardian who wants to help a child learn about the same.

It is filled with stories, facts, songs, and some easy activities to help ease a child into the sometimes more rigorous world of practicing Pagan traditions. It helps teach ways for a child to learn to meditate, and r
JMZ
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Not only a helpful way for Pagan's to explain their religion to their children but provides fun activities and recipes to bring the family closer together. Even if you don't have children the explantions are worth reading if you ever want to explain Paganism to a friend or family member. The explanations are simple and the stories are easy to understand yet interesting. The recipes and crafts are also things you find at a local store or at home so you won't have to search all everywhere trying t ...more
MotherMagic
A must have resource for Earth Spiritualist parents, imo. Full of story and myth retellings to offer a younger audience, children's songs, ritual and handcraft ideas, recipes, and advice on raising children with a healthy, authentic experience of Goddess and Earth Spirituality. Organized with chapters for each turn of the Wheel of the Year, plus more sections on rites of passage and other topics. I refer to this often.
Marisha
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gem has accompanied me and guided me through parenthood!
It's assisted me in giving my child an awareness of cycles/rhythms of life, a deeper awareness, respect, and love for the Earth, and that there are many other beliefs and ways in addition to the predominant ones. Included are stories, myths, crafts, rituals, (the rite of passage celebrations are wonderful)recipes, love and acceptance. I try and review every change of season.
Alexandra Chauran
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was much better than I expected when I placed a hold at the library. I expected a feminist, Goddess-centric activity book. What I found was a huge comprehensive parenting tome that, while certainly Goddess leaning, did not leave out the God or fathers or sons. I really liked the format of sheet music, recipes, stories (written mostly by the fabulous storyteller Starhawk) and yes some goofy activities too. I ended up buying my own copy of this book.
Martin
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This seems to be useful mostly as a reference for families who already have a grounding in some Pagan tradition. As a holiday approaches you can turn to the relevant section and find stories, activities, and ideas for ritual. My daughter and I have enjoyed a number of them. I feel like there's a lot more to be said about raising children in these traditions, and I was hoping they'd get into more than they did - but there are a lot of good ideas in here.
Lily
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is great for trying to find ways to bring earth based tradtions to Sometimes its hard to figure ways to bring these tradtions and others into the 21st century in a authentic, simple way. Although I dont use many of her suggestions I read them and adapt them to my own way of belief.

I'm a Starhawk fan.
Rachel
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at my local library and will definitely buy it. I've been an unorganized practitioner who barely knows about holidays or any of the traditions. This book has helped me to feel more confident in reaching out to the community and participating in rituals. It has all the info i need to finally share my spiritual life with my family.
Geoff
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books on my "pagan" shelf, this book has been a great guide and companion as we've raised our son in the Goddess tradition. We've read stories, made crafts and cooked recipies from the book. The authors discuss of Goddesses and Gods from different traditions, and share some stories of the ways their own families bring these forces into their lives.
Kerry
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I would eventually like to teach my daughter, who is now two, about paganism and it is challenging since there is not a lot out there about teaching children spirituality from a pagan perspective. Has lots of recipes and crafts for the whole year. The best thing about it is the short stories that read like pagan myths and fairy tales, something that I felt I was sorely missing.
Jennifer Wyld
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for all pagan parents- it is so good and life affirming and none of the ickyness that some of pagan culture includes- your children will be whole, just if they hear these stories!

Liz
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It has so many great traditions for each season and holiday. Also talks about rites of passage celebrations and ceremonies. From music to art to food to storytelling......We are going to use many of these traditions in our family.
Erika Barrington
Oct 02, 2010 added it
Shelves: woo
Another great find on the playroom shelves! I'm excited to steal this one. A great reference so far. Though, as Jen pointed out, and I have noticed as well, it is focused more towards old-ish kids, and isn't as applicable to the younger kiddos in our house.
Sari
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you get the accompanying CD, the music is awesome. My son enjoys a few of the fun or more upbeat songs and the others I can appreciate more. I hope to start reading some of the stories to my eldest now he is a bit older and do some of the crafts too. A nice resource to have on hand.
Eryn
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I know this book is meant to teach children about earth traditions, but I have found it to be quaint and helpful in my own search to understand and celebrate nature/ spirituality. It also offers crafts, poems and ideas for celebrating.
Jacqui
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
excellent beginner's book to offer insight into the importance of ritual surrounding holy days and the wheel of the year. offers recipes, anecdotes, crafts and a basic explanation of each sabbat. bought it for research and kept it because it is a beautiful book with great ideas.
Michelle
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As one who was raised earth worship but without defined rituals, this book has brought a lot of meaning and explanation to what I experienced as a child and what I look forward to sharing with my family. A wonderful book for both adults and children!
Hazel
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really really really good!
Cheryl Clearwater
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
i've been using it regularly since my first child was born.

• Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives--Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends, and Emotions Unde
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Yule: A Celebration of Light and Warmth
  • Book of Shadows
  • The Goddess is in the Details: Wisdom for the Everyday Witch
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
I am an educator and techie at heart, and have been advising authors and entrepreneurs about online marketing since 1994. I love inspiring people to share their wisdom and be creatively strategic in their messaging. I am co-organizer of the Bay Area Bloggers Society, and speak regularly on author platforms in the Bay Area and beyond.

I am also a professional dreamworker, teach at Cherry Hill Semina